Barb worker linking two barb cities through road

TheLastOne36

Deity
Exactly what the title says:
Caught this shot in worldbuilder.

Possible glitch or was it made that way?

If it was made that way, then it doesn't make sense. Barbs weren't united, each city represents a culture two small to be in the game. Mycenaeans didn't know the Ainu existed let alone made a road between them. (which would've been impossible anyway since Ainu were on a Japaneses island)

Barbs can actually build a real civ. Try a Terra map and you'll see cities with tiles worked and roads linking them when you'll arrive on the new continent.

About the historical accuracy : well, maybe they're all from the same barb civ. Just say that's two Ainu cities you're looking at.

But it says both Mycenian and Ainu.

Well, smaller tribes could always unite against larger civs. And the gameisn't about realism either (Takes 200 years to produce a worker) and so on.

Possible glitch or was it made that way?

Barb Workers have always done this. I've seen some pretty intensive Barb roads in my games in fact. And it makes sense really. It allows the Barb units move faster on the way to their targets.

In my latest game (Large Map, fractal, 14 Civs) two Civ were killed off I believed within 15-20 turns :p into the game by the barbarian. And from these two cities (Seoul & Paris) the barbarian started its power base and build another two cities plus taking another two from Zara Yacoob. So the barbarian state has 5-6 cities on one large corner of the main continent and another 3 island cities on 2 separate island. As far as I can see the cities on the main continent are all linked and properly developed. And seeing from their culture border there must be quite some improvements inside as well. Not to mention the barbarian state is actually much larger than a number of the Civ around :lol:

Indian (me)----------------- 16 cities (Build 7, 3 Cathaginian (eliminated), 4 Spanish (eliminated), 2 American (flipped) )
Japanese --------------- 7 cities
Portugese -------------- 8 cities
American ----------- 1 city (vasal of Portugal)
Arabian ------------ 4 cities (my vasal)
Euthopian ---------- 3 cities (my vasal)
Celts ------------ 5 cities
Viking ----------- 7 cities
Germans --------- 6 cities (isolated on a different tiny continent)
Barbarian state ---------- 5 major cities (Paris size 17, Seoul size 21) and 3 smaller ones on 2 small island and have Iron, Copper, Horse

Currently I think only the Vikings are having a war with the barbarian and its like a Yoyo (mainly ex-Euthopian cities are the one captured and lost :D ) So its kinda wonderful to see some interesting barbarian activities once in a while. :goodjob:

I wish I could see more occurrences like in the above post, but I've never seen two barbarian cities connected :/ closest thing I've seen to united barbarians was on a Terra map, but the cities were very underdeveloped and not anything special. I was impressed with the barbarians when they managed to get the pyramids :p I think this was removed in a Vanilla patch, but I wish it hadn't.

I see barbains connect their cities with roads all the time. Makes sense since even if their opposing barbarian tribes people do trade during times of peace. No different the regular civilizations building roads to each other.

Whats really weird happened with my last game as Mali, I saw some barbarian cities with the Buddist Religion. I thought it was odd since I was playing Hemispheres and I never saw Buddism founded in our half of the world. I also thought it was odd that they had plenty of space in their own area of the map almost as if they had founded their own civilization.

I had Assumed Buddism was the only religion founded in the other half again like before (alot of my hemisphere maps end up with one hemi with 5 or 6 religions and the other with 1). But when I get to the new world and discover them religion free to the joy of my small band of missionaries... Idecided to take a closer look at those barbarian cities on my hemi... realized that one was Aachon (the holy rome capital) and was the holy city of Buddism. Which explains the fact that the barbarians had plenty of space, since they were using space originally reserved for a whole civilization. The barbarians lasted till the industrial age. While I was fighting the greeks who had invaded me with a single catapult, they were busy taking out the barbarian cities.

In vanillia civ4, back before when Stonehenge went obsolet with the Calander, I saw the barbarians build it one or twice since noone else was still able too.

I didn't realize that barbs could build spies...especially since we can't use spies on their cities.

barb cities get trade routes and share resources with each other when there's a connection. i did extensive testing one day in warlords with spies. i guess you can't look at barb cities from the inside in BtS since you can't infiltrate them? bummer.

they pay maintenance. it's not so bad when there's just one barb city in the world, but as soon as they get a second one it jumps. they don't pay based on distance like we do, they have a "no palace penalty" which is completely unfair, since Palace is one of the forbidden things in the .xml they're not allowed to even think about building :crazyeye:.

barbs can build workers (obviously), but they aren't allowed to build workboats. i really don't know what the reason for that is.

Everytime I see barbs building roads like that it always makes me smile and think of all the turns i will save building workers since I can just steal theirs.

I Pillage the roads for revenge

If it was made that way, then it doesn't make sense. Barbs weren't united, each city represents a culture two small to be in the game.

if so, why don´t they fight each other? and why do animals spare barbarians?

Imho there should be several minor civs, you can´t make peace with and that fight each other as well as major civs...

Since I've been using BtS, Terra maps seems to lack the large, advanced New World barbarian cities which so characterised Vanilla Terra games. Is this a deliberate nerf to appease whinging forumites, who hate the challenge to colonization which those barb cities represent?

Myself, I loved capturing those cities with their ready-made infrastructure...

Whats really weird happened with my last game as Mali, I saw some barbarian cities with the Buddist Religion. I thought it was odd since I was playing Hemispheres and I never saw Buddism founded in our half of the world. I also thought it was odd that they had plenty of space in their own area of the map almost as if they had founded their own civilization.

In vanillia civ4, back before when Stonehenge went obsolet with the Calander, I saw the barbarians build it one or twice since noone else was still able too.

Hello Kadasbrass,

I have experienced both things. My latest fun way to play civ is me vs the barbarians. The way I do it is start up a game with a few rule changes:

1) I'm the only civilzation.
2) Raging Barbarians.
3) Pangea, size small or greater.
4) Only winning condition is Domination.

And I have two self imposed rules:

1) No building the great wall (that's cheating!)
2) No building spies.

It's tougher than it looks. I played through a noble game last night, and I have to admit, starting off is pretty tough when the ONLY copper in the entire continent was in the center, and I started off on the far eastern section of the continent. ... and the Barbarians built a city right on top of that copper!

I nearly killed my economy building up an army to 1) Survive the trek halfway across the world to claim that copper while 2) protecting my poor worker who had to build a road there and 3) make sure the army that made it there could not only take the city but 4) defend the city as well as 5) defend my own lands. For a while I was sitting at 0% science and still losing money! :eek:

Regardless, once I got there, I saw some roads leading out of the city. After taking the city, I sent a solo archer to investigate. That archer traveled to the far southwestern corner of the continent, and what did he find? A size 6 barbarian city with an impressive culture radius! A bit of wandering around and I discovered another road headed north out of that city. Being adventurous I followed it to yet another city in far northwestern part of the continent. But sometime between then and reaching that city "Confucism has been founded in a distant land." "But I am the only civilzation," I thought to myself. After scratching my head for a moment, I realized that the barbarians just founded Confucism! This city to the far northwest was where the barbarians founded Confucism! Not only that, but once I got there, the city had all 20 squares surrounding the city with cottages, farms or mines. And the farms were on the rice to get them the health bonus!

I was very impressed with how much the barbarians acted just like a real civilization.

I did very well against raging barbarians on Noble, perhaps too well, and now I'm thinking of kicking it up to Emperor+ to see how well I can manage against the barbarians with the penalties that occur from the higher difficulty levels. But I will say this much, barbarians are a tough crowd because they are basically a regular civilization that you cannot ask (read: bribe) for peace.

The only problem I see playing soley against barbs is the lack of great generals and highly experienced units. So that could make it a good challenge :)

In my last game I destroyed the Ottomans completely off of 3 large land masses. I then reloaded my ships and went home. On the way back the Barbs had already popped 3 cities in the fog. within the period of 6-10 turns.

Busy little beavers.

why are we assuming those are different barb nations... how can you tell? I always thought barbs in the game are all one barbarian nation

barbs actually play as a separate AI in the game and will build wonders and technology if you leave them alone long enough

I also recently encountered an advanced barbarian civilization on a hemisphere map, which was basically comprised of six large landmasses. I got one for myself, and the closest landmass to my west was left to the barbarians.

After discovering Optics and setting out my caravels to scour the ocean, I found that the barbs had developed at least three interconnected cities along the coast. And one of cities had founded Hinduism!

Probably by virtue of having the largest and most resourceful landmass to myself, I ended up with a tech lead, which I used to pick up Astronomy before anyone else so that I could make a move against the holy barbarians.

My tech lead was only exacerbated in relation to the barbarians, and I took them over without too many problems; however, due to their numerical superiority I often faced the problem of not being able to prevent them from pillaging improvements after I took the cities.

In the end the barbarian state I conquested consisted of 4 interconnected cities that were complemented by farms, mines, cottages, and windmills, with some of the improvements working resources. Not only that, but they had founded Hinduism.

Top Bottom