[BTS] Barbarian Challenge 2022 Deity Edition

Gwaja

King
EDITED:

Since people have been having problems opening the initial save for whatever funky reason, I am resubmitting with a smaller map. Hopefully, this time, there won't be any issues.

Kossin used to do something like this. It was fun!

As the title says... this is strictly an exercise or an experiment of sort against one of the biggest challenges we all face in the early game: barbarians.

You are a lover of shiny things that make more money and more shiny things. But, the barbarians are in your way, disrupting your operation to obtain these wonderful shiny things and they MUST be dealt with!

There are 2 objectives on this map:

1. Control 1 of each of the following resources as early as possible, and then have them available in your capital with a working Forge. The resources are: Gold, Silver, and Gems.

2. Find and destroy the "City of Barbarians" located somewhere on this map. This evil city is capable of producing lot more barbarian troops and are filled with these evil barbarians. Exercise caution!

The Great Wall is obviously unavailable. Huts and Events are on. Raging Barbarians are on, and they will swarm you, with more advanced units than usual, from the very beginning, much earlier than the normal date that they start crossing into your borders! You have been warned! Be prepared from the moment you build your first city!

Interested participants need only inform us the date they were able to achieve the above 2 objectives. Screenshots and game saves will be welcome as well.

Chosen Leader: Boudica

I think she makes this challenge easier than most other leaders, considering all the factors, including starting techs, unique unit/building, and her traits.

So... you think you are a capable warlord conquering and smashing the helpless AI into submission? Well then... prove your worth by taming these barbarians first! ^_^

Starting Position:

Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

Attachments

• Barbarian Killer BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    16.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
What have you done Gwaja? :scared: :nope: :yumyum:
I wanna build the great lighthouse so Barbarians have a clear beacon to converge to :hammer2:

What have you done Gwaja? :scared: :nope: :yumyum:
I wanna build the great lighthouse so Barbarians have a clear beacon to converge to :hammer2:

^_^ Feel free to build all the wonders you would like.... except of course, the Great Wall. ^_^ These barbarians will be mean and relentless though.

Oh, this will be super tough. Definitely don't want to be stagnating at size 1 building 3t warriors for too long. With fishing we might have been able to squeeze in a 6t workboat and grow a size before being swarmed. But without fishing? Reaching size 2 on the oasis is a lot of turns not working the forested PH...
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/a-strange-tale-raging-barbs-challenge.571918/ was already tough, but at least there we had fishing and could plan with resourceless dog soldiers at BW.
Will give it a try for sure once I have access to Civ

Are religions allowed? :rolleyes:

Edit: could you provide a non Buffy save?
(or maybe there's a way to install that on my comp :badcomp: who knows...)

^ Under standard conditions yes
In this game much much sooner :nya:

Are religions allowed? :rolleyes:

Edit: could you provide a non Buffy save?
(or maybe there's a way to install that on my comp :badcomp: who knows...)
Hmm, I can't get this to load so far. When I try with Buffy (005) it asks me to run with Mod: NONE, when I try without a mod, the game simply closes without any error message. :dunno:

@Qactus same here

@Gwaja this seem like a fun challenge! I think I will go for max foogbuster strategy and se how that plays out

Hmmm... I am not sure why the game would be crashing like that. I haven't changed anything in my game setup, and my previous postings of saves without running BAT worked out fine. Yes, running with BUFFY enabled would result in the game asking you to remove BUFFY. Without any mods running, it should run just like vanilla. Strange....

@soundjata

Religions are, of course, more than welcome. But will you have time for that, I wonder? ^_^

@Implo

I would love to see how effective fog busting can be applied in here. Looking forward to it!

@Qactus

Thank you for sharing that old map! It looks like @Fippy put a lot of time and love in to making that map with a spice of role play on top of it all.

@Fippy

I like your map, but.... aren't YOU supposed to be the one suffering while playing MY map instead of the other way around? This CANNOT be ALLOWED!! ^_^

@Gwaja has invented a new level of CIV4 torture:
1. Present a lovely impossible map
2. Provide a fake save.

:smug: :satan::thumbsup:

@Gwaja has invented a new level of CIV4 torture:
1. Present a lovely impossible map
2. Provide a fake save.

:smug: :satan::thumbsup:

Okay... since everyone seems to be saying that the map save is not working, I changed it to a different one. It should work now I think.

Fun challenge!

Spoiler t93 :

2nd attempt. Got steamrolled by barbs first time. Im not used to raging barbs on that t15 they Invaded with 2 spears, 2 archers vs my 1,5 warrior so yeah.. restarted.

Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG

upload_2022-7-8_14-34-12.png

Killed lost ratio is good.. :) fun with boudica!

Currently I'm aiming for a stable economy and get elipult. Have gold secured from a barb spot. know the location for gemd. silver has not to be seen yet. I have also found what I guess is a barb city cluster. But have not found the barb cap.

Spoiler update major spoiler :

Secured objective 1 t145
Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG

When i sort of figured out what was going on. I HA rushed the City of barb and got it barly t 153
Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG

again, fun challenge! Happy to have more of these kind of games :)

Attachments

• upload_2022-7-8_14-31-55.png
    upload_2022-7-8_14-31-55.png
    8.3 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I like your map, but.... aren't YOU supposed to be the one suffering while playing MY map instead of the other way around? This CANNOT be ALLOWED!! ^_^
Merci :)
I played some botm today, but quickly realized that for several years it was sgotm which kept me motivated for more Civ. All the planning etc with my team kept everything alive and exciting.
With it sadly ending now, i think my time with Civ also does. Has been an eternity anyways.

@Qactus

Interesting. I never got such good luck with tech pops though the huts were enabled on purpose to give the player a little bit of boost.

@Implo

Nicely Done! Glad you had fun. ^_^

Spoiler :
How heavy was the barbarian resistance near the final city?

Merci :)
I played some botm today, but quickly realized that for several years it was sgotm which kept me motivated for more Civ. All the planning etc with my team kept everything alive and exciting.
With it sadly ending now, i think my time with Civ also does. Has been an eternity anyways.

Oh no you don't! You are not escaping my wrath that easily! ^_^ Besides, this community NEEDS a long timer like YOU around.

Spoiler :

How heavy was the barbarian resistance near the final city

The fun challenge IMO was to fight of barbs and secure land and rescourses. The "final boss" was managble and no longbows or anything to scary. Was initially planning to bring some catapults.. but figured HA's in the right numbers would do the job. Guess i lost 2 units for every city defender killed

Btw the barbs founded judeaism. Intend or is that something barbs can do if left alone for long enough time?

@Implo

Spoiler :

Ah... still required quite a number of Horse Archers I see. I think the smaller map size worked better for this. Not too long, not too short kind of a game.

As for the barbarians founding a religion... a certain tweak here and there in World Builder tends to cause that. I don't think that happens in a regular normal game... at least I have not seen it happen. Anyway, the intention was for the barbarians to somewhat mimic some sort of civilization since there aren't any opponent AI in play.

Top Bottom