1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Barbarian City-State conversion disabled?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Grand Admiral Edward, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Grand Admiral Edward

Grand Admiral Edward Chieftain

Why can't I make a barb camp into a potential city-state? Whenever I hover over a clan for the city-state progression bar, it says conversion disabled. Is it because I already have the max number of city states allowed by the map size? If so, what's the point, if you have to gimp your game to get the full benefit from it?

2. AriaLyric

AriaLyric Nonbinary | Peaceful Builder

is there a city center within 3 tiles of the camp, maybe? in any case screenshots would help a lot

Pfeffersack likes this.
  3. Grand Admiral Edward

Here's a screenshot. It's a LOUSY location for a city-state, but it's legal. 20210407170616_1.jpg

4. AriaLyric

AriaLyric Nonbinary | Peaceful Builder

I have no idea what's preventing that, then. You might be right about it being due to reaching the max number of city states allowed on that size map - haven't played with that mode long enough to be sure. Another thing I thought of tho - did you use the city state picker? Maybe they ran out of eligible CSs to transform into... again, no idea if that's actually a thing tho. Anyone with more experience in this mode have an idea?

5. Grand Admiral Edward

Yes, I did use the city-state picker.

6. Andrew Johnson [FXS]

Andrew Johnson [FXS] Prince

If you have city-states set to 0, they will not convert.

Pfeffersack and Kjimmet like this.
  7. Buktu

Buktu Prince

You can see city states at the minimap though so they are not set to 0. I think it's what @AriaLyric said, all CS you selected in your CS picker are already on the map so there can't be another one.

8. Grand Admiral Edward

So basically, the Barbarians and Zombies mode is a (half) swing and a miss for Firaxis. What's the point of spending time and ingame gold on creating barbarian City-States, when you could do it for free setting up the game?
    Sort of like the Varangian Adventures from the new CK3 Northern Lords content pack. With that, you give up your current lands, to conquer somewhere else. You could just CONQUER them with other various CBs, without giving up your prior lands.

9. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

Because you have a certain kind of control where to allow a camp to become as CS (which means no blocking of a spot where you want to settle on of your own cities)? Because you can use the other options you get with the camps before they make the conversion (purchasing unique UUs, bribing them to not attack you, dircting them vs. other AIs)? Having fun with it? You are free to save your time and income gold with the normal setup, but for me the mode is a sucess. And I haven't started a game without since it is available :)

10. Deadly Dog

Deadly Dog Prince

Basically using Clans mode changes the functionality of the city state picker, to setting the max number of CS your world can hold altogether. So you would not be able to pick your favourite 12 CD to start the game with and then have others spawn in randomly from the remaining pool. Instead use the pool to limit the highest possible number of CS allowed by eliminating the ones you don't want to see at all.

You can't control which ones you start with, only how many start the game along with the major civs.

I like restricting the pool to 2x CS per civ and starting the game with 1 CS/Civ. I mean I still get to Suze most of the new CS no problem and they still will show up in the poles, but it's easier for me to keep track of my envoys if I don't have to scroll through a list of 30+ City states :lol:

11. Barillius

Barillius Chieftain

How do you have advanced aI next in your tech tree and only at turn 115?

Piranga likes this.