Barbarian Civ option

FriskyBuddha

Chieftain
Soooo, my barbarian cities seem to never convert, playing snail gigantic map...

Is this just me or does 2.8 make it alot less likely.

Yes, there was change made to them. Previously they required size 2 city and at least to contacts with other civs - in v2.8 they require size 5 city and no contacts with other civs (meaning other continents can now form new civs even when continent has not been discovered by other players).

So they don't form if you already seen the barbarian civ?

No, they will. Zappara meant that the barbarians' cities doesn't need to be in cotact with other civs in order to develop. The reason of slowdown in development for the barbarians is just this: size 5 is a prereq for it to become a civ.

And as we all have learned from our barbarian cousins on the south pole, the number 5 is sacred to them.

Does the emergence get affected if I chose the "start as minor civs" option?
No. "Barbarian World" option does affect as with it barbarians will have cities at the game start (1 city per each civ in game). In normal game barbarians start appearing after the animals disappear and they can "get" cities to plots that are under fog of war.

I tried RoM for the first time in at least a year this week. Got a fairly lucky start as (random) mongols, used their archer unique to take out all four of my neighbours on my starting continent. While growing into it, I was having a nice time clearing barb cities on my own continent, but once I popped a city onto an island just off the coast to get a couple new resource types, I started getting invaded at a just often enough to be annoying rate. So I decided to hop over to see where they were coming from.

The next continent over, about a third the size of mine, contained seven barbarian cities, all at least size seven (largest was, iirc, size 11), and literally hundreds of light swordsmen, archers, and wardogs, standing around in stacks at least 12 deep.

Spent hundreds of turns trying to subdue this small continent, not so much because I wanted the land, but just as an act of self preservation. After my third major offensive ground down, I gave up and decided to let them keep it.

The other half of the map, where the other three surviving (the barbarians wiped out one of the four that started on the northern continent while I was engaged in my crusade, and are halfway to taking out another) civs are is a long snaky continent where the other civs are still struggling to expand because the barbarians outnumber them so badly, along with a few large islands, each with at least one large barbarian city.

So. What setting do I have to adjust to get these ravening hordes to actually become civs like they're supposed to. They'd be easier and more rewarding to fight if they had sane numbers of units that could actually get my units the levels they deserve for the amount of fighting they have to do.

You were playing with barbciv option off (if you would have checked that option in your custom game menu before the start of your game they would have been born after barb cities gained size 5). So no new civs for you.

Oh. I guess I have to use custom game to start over then. Is there no way to change the default to on with the ini files, or to get the regular new game option to remember what I chose last time in custom?

Oh. I guess I have to use custom game to start over then. Is there no way to change the default to on with the ini files, or to get the regular new game option to remember what I chose last time in custom?

Two tips and tricks here for custom game options.

First off, you can change game options mid game. Open the game up, and then open the world builder, and save the game as a worldbuilder save. Then, find the worldbuilder save and open it with a text editor. The first few lines have the game options listed, simply add (or delete) the one you are looking for, but make sure it's exactly the same name as it is in the CIV4GameOptionsInfo.xml. Save the file, and reload it. Viola!

Secondly, you can change the default game option settings by opening the CIV4GameOptionsInfo.xml and setting the <bDefault> tag for the game options you wish to change to 1 if you want it on by default, 0 if you want it off by default.

First off, you can change game options mid game. Open the game up, and then open the world builder, and save the game as a worldbuilder save. Then, find the worldbuilder save and open it with a text editor. The first few lines have the game options listed, simply add (or delete) the one you are looking for, but make sure it's exactly the same name as it is in the CIV4GameOptionsInfo.xml. Save the file, and reload it. Viola!

You forgot to mention he will lose GG and GP points by doing that. As well as the +/- relations modifiers towards the other civs and I guess the worked hammers on projects, too...

another thing i noticed in RoM 2.9 is that if you start game with only yourself on map - barbarian cities do not appear on map until you have your second city founded, so if you do have good spot for capital you can go on with just one city and see no barbarians cities on map. And later new spawn civilizations are quite backward in comparation with you. Not good for gameplay. I have two options now - or I give myself one extra settler to found two cities (I tried it and it really fasts barbarian city appearence) Or try Barbarian World Option... I will check how it works

So what I noticed - with Barbarian World Option only one barbarian city grows to civilization fast enough, so it will mean two superpowers from start which will have big advantage over other civilizations, not something i am looking for at all.... I prefer many even powered civilization in many different regions of Earth so I will choose option with one extra settler for me ;) I am not selfish i do it for other civilizations :p Good surprise however was that with Barbarian World Option - that barbarian city on map will always be on the same tile, it is choosen kinda best tile on map, and it is not far from truth. My starting tile is in Rome, and barbarian city is always on coastline of China (where Shangai is, I think) at start

i have the same problem right now, barb cities won`t become civs, but i have set the barb civ option to on! (ive set it on by default)

there are some barb cities size 7 and larger...

everything was fine with 2.8, got this thing only since 2.9...

@DRJ what's meant with "GG" and "GP" ?

Top Bottom