Barbarian leader can request peace: turns camp into CS

Optional

Deity
I think it would be nice if a dialogue could appear, on the initiative of the clan leader of a barb camp, asking you for permanent settling rights.
Your choices:
No: barb camp remains a barb camp, for you to clear.
Yes: turns barb camp into a proper City State.

Probably a check should be in place whether the camp is in working range of a lux resource, so that we don't get a gimped CS. The default amount of starting City States on a map could be less.
I think this gives an interesting strategic consideration; do I say No, am I interested in settling that area myself, or is allowing a City State more interesting for me?

The entire relationship between the AI/gamer/Civilizations and the Barbarians/City States/Goodie Huts should be much, much more flexible and dynamic.

For starters, I would do away with the distinction between Barbarian Camps and Goodie Huts completely: at the start, at various places on the map, there would be 'settlements'.

Upon contact, a given settlement could have one of three reactions:
Hostile - the current 'Barbarian Camp' model. BUT this is not static: be nice to them, fight their neighbors for them, bribe them with Gold, Luxuries or Strategic Resources, and they will change their attitude towards you.
Friendly - fight current 'Goodie Hut' model - they may join your Civ as a Settler, Worker, or Population Point. They may hire some of their young men to you as warriors or other military units, they may show you maps, gift resources, show you a new way of doing things (Technology). You can also trade with them, because historically, Barbarians were a great source of either direct or indirect Trade: tin, amber, horses just to name three, were resources frequently obtained by Civilizations ranging from Rome to China by trade with 'barbarians'.
Indifferent - They got better things to do than deal with you. As above, bribe them, help them, you can change their minds. Attack them, encroach on their territory, you can change their minds to Hostile, also.

Since, unlike 'Goodie Huts', Barbarian camps or Settlements spawn constantly, this model would give several advantages:
More Dynamic Game. A Friendly Settlement with access to Luxury or, especially, Strategic Resources you lack and need could bail you out in a tight spot: Iron or Horses in the early game, for instance. Picking on the resourceless neighboring Civ is no longer a Sure Thing, and if he's got some 'barbarian' neighbors willing to hire out to him, you cannot even predict the size of the enemy army. On the other hand, a bunch of Barbarian allies could make the difference between your War of Conquest and a War of Survival.
More Dynamic Map - Unlike now, when certain parts of the map become virtually impossible to access because of barbarian camps, now suitable Bribery or Friendly Gestures can provide access, and possibly even an Allied 'Footprint' in the area.
More Dynamic Turns - unlike now, when every new Barbarian Cam that spawns is Hostile, newly spawned Settlements are Unknown until contacted - you might get a new ally, trade partner, or resource, or your neighboring (friendly or hostile) Civ might get the same. Every new Settlement is a potential short-term Game Changer.

Finally, this concept can also, obviously, be extended to City States. Why should ALL City States appear at the same moment 6000 years ago? Instead, start them as Settlements. Regardless of their attitude towards you, if they have access to resources and population, they will eventually (some much faster than others) grow into Cities, many of which will remain Independent 'City States' - but others might decide to voluntarily join a Civilization. Again, a more dynamic set of relationships and game-play opportunities in what is now a pretty static set of game situations.

It's a cool idea, but I would be sad if the barbarian invasions ceased just because you hadn't established relations yet. I think if you abstain from exploring/contacting the new settlements they should gradually become more aggressive and send units to raid like the current camps. This gives you an incentive to actually engage with them because if you just ignore they turn into the standard model of barbarian? I play on raging barbarians on every game because I enjoy the feel of being threatened and raided and I wouldn't want that to disappear. At the same time, it would be cool to bribe barbarians to target another civ and have the equivalent of ruins appear further into the game. And I would enjoy seeing new CS develop at variable times rather than immediately. maybe a chance for that?

The entire relationship between the AI/gamer/Civilizations and the Barbarians/City States/Goodie Huts should be much, much more flexible and dynamic.

For starters, I would do away with the distinction between Barbarian Camps and Goodie Huts completely: at the start, at various places on the map, there would be 'settlements'.

Upon contact, a given settlement could have one of three reactions:
Hostile - the current 'Barbarian Camp' model. BUT this is not static: be nice to them, fight their neighbors for them, bribe them with Gold, Luxuries or Strategic Resources, and they will change their attitude towards you.
Friendly - fight current 'Goodie Hut' model - they may join your Civ as a Settler, Worker, or Population Point. They may hire some of their young men to you as warriors or other military units, they may show you maps, gift resources, show you a new way of doing things (Technology). You can also trade with them, because historically, Barbarians were a great source of either direct or indirect Trade: tin, amber, horses just to name three, were resources frequently obtained by Civilizations ranging from Rome to China by trade with 'barbarians'.
Indifferent - They got better things to do than deal with you. As above, bribe them, help them, you can change their minds. Attack them, encroach on their territory, you can change their minds to Hostile, also.

Since, unlike 'Goodie Huts', Barbarian camps or Settlements spawn constantly, this model would give several advantages:
More Dynamic Game. A Friendly Settlement with access to Luxury or, especially, Strategic Resources you lack and need could bail you out in a tight spot: Iron or Horses in the early game, for instance. Picking on the resourceless neighboring Civ is no longer a Sure Thing, and if he's got some 'barbarian' neighbors willing to hire out to him, you cannot even predict the size of the enemy army. On the other hand, a bunch of Barbarian allies could make the difference between your War of Conquest and a War of Survival.
More Dynamic Map - Unlike now, when certain parts of the map become virtually impossible to access because of barbarian camps, now suitable Bribery or Friendly Gestures can provide access, and possibly even an Allied 'Footprint' in the area.
More Dynamic Turns - unlike now, when every new Barbarian Cam that spawns is Hostile, newly spawned Settlements are Unknown until contacted - you might get a new ally, trade partner, or resource, or your neighboring (friendly or hostile) Civ might get the same. Every new Settlement is a potential short-term Game Changer.

Finally, this concept can also, obviously, be extended to City States. Why should ALL City States appear at the same moment 6000 years ago? Instead, start them as Settlements. Regardless of their attitude towards you, if they have access to resources and population, they will eventually (some much faster than others) grow into Cities, many of which will remain Independent 'City States' - but others might decide to voluntarily join a Civilization. Again, a more dynamic set of relationships and game-play opportunities in what is now a pretty static set of game situations.

I think the player should start as one of these settlements even. That's why I would like the game to start before 4000.

Your relations with other settlements could be peaceful, so that a way to pass through with at least scouts should be found. This could even be tied with the whole tolerance they grant you, like if you are passing through, they could either attack without warning as soon as possible, observe you some turns and attack without warning (maybe even ambush you - barb rising), or attack you only if you do stuff in their territory, like settling a city or working a tile, or trying to contact you diplomatically (pacifists) at a given time. This could work a little like passing through Civ5 City-States territory, but with different sensibilities according to the tribe (random : no uniques) and maybe also its situation. There could even be a color system from green to red showing how likely a given tribe could attack, information given by your spies or other neighbouring tribes you could already talk to. Each part of this information would display discreetly on the map if available.

As to City-States, there's no reason for them to be labelled specifically as so, so that a civ and/or city could be one of them at any given time, and cease to be it when wanted also. All simply, being a C-S should give some advantages, like growing powerfull early more quickly than with building settlers (that should take much longer to build, with growth halted so that being a C-S early would be the logical step, except by conquest). I think City-States should have other affairs in mind than colonizing on a first move, like treating with their environment and its inhabitants, in order to install their power first. Installing their power could include conquer villages and minor other cities, for building a strategic power. Indeed, a City(-State) could be composed of a major city, plus other satellites, and remains a city-state... if only they would have a particular status (see next paragraph). Then, it would cease to be a C-S (specifically or not) when the leaders leads their growing forces towards the outside.

Or, give a specific status to City-States (policies ?), so that they get benefits that allow them to weight politically along with... empires, as long as distances are not the only thing that prevented them to be obliterated in reality. (France attacked Italy and Germany City-States, but on the long run it didn't stayed in those areas, that's why a system of influence decay - through culture mutations ? - should be implemented, so that a given civilization would evolve more or less sinusoidally other than proportionnally with time even if one plays well) Those specificities could translate into granting rough gold to their allIES (need a more relevant diplomacy system, with choice of side / neutrality when 2 allies fight) and reciprocally. (through material trade like with civ5 trade routes ? In that case every C-S should have double TRs than standard civs, or double anything that allows to get them, unless the fact to remain a C-S means more of something, like culture and science are penalized with number of cities in Civ5, but more significant, like culture points allowing you to unlock more and more powerful buffs as policies, but a lot less with several cities, which equals to the non-specific type of C-S, see previous paragraph)

Some Settlements in locations that have no resources nearby would immediately 'tend' towards 'aggressive barbarian' conduct, because stealing from their rich neighbors would be the only way to survive. And Settlements in the plains with cattle or horses nearby (not even necessarily adjacent, but within 3 - 5 tiles) would naturally take to the pastoral, riding and raiding lifestyle. These would be dangerous neighbors, except there should always be Options...

What I'm aiming at here is to give the game and the gamer all the historical options wth regard to 'Barbarians'. Historically, 'barbarians could:
1. Spawn raiders that have to be defended against or fought off
2. Gather into Invasions that require Major Efforts to fight off
3. Be traded with for Resources
4. Act as 'Middle Men' in trade with other civilization
5. Migrate into your civilization as new citizens, merchants, traders, etc
6. Act as a source of knowledge about other settlements/barbarians, the local country, or other civilization.
7. Be hired as mercenaries or 'auxiliaries' for your army.
8. Be hired or 'bought off' to either stop attacking you, or to attack someone else.
9. Provide a source of New Ideas or Technologies (or Social Policies or Religion)

In the current Civ V, Barbarian Camps provide 1, and Goodie Huts provide (randomly) 5, 6, 7 or 9. We are being seriously shortchanged with both Barbarians and 'Goodie Huts' in the game, and we are given no way to affect what we get - you cannot negotiate with either, you cannot change a Barbarian Camp into a Goodie Hut (or vice versa, if they are, say, right next to an annoying neighbor civilization).

The next iteration of the game needs more options, more dynamics, more 'semi-randomness' for the gamer to react to and interact with. This change to the Barbarian Camp - Goodie Hut - City State system would provide that IMHO

I think the player should start as one of these settlements even. That's why I would like the game to start before 4000.

Two problems I see with this. First, right now you start with a mobile Settler, so starting as a fixed Settlement would actually reduce your early flexibility. Second, while it makes an interesting Option, extended the standard game's 6000 Years And Change timespan - AND keeping all 6000+ years of turns full of interesting decisions and actions - is a Tall Order. I put it to you that the Civ franchise hasn't entirely succeeded in keeping all of 6000 years equally playable, and I am dubious that adding more dull turns is going to help. Increase the dynamism and possibilities within the current span, then worry about adding on to either end (Prehistoric or Future)
- But, having said that, I know that there's a lot of interest in extended the Prehistoric/Future timescale (several Mods for both), and, to be honest, the 'Future Tech' provisions of Test Of Time were some of the most interesting parts of that game to me.

Your relations with other settlements could be peaceful, so that a way to pass through with at least scouts should be found. This could even be tied with the whole tolerance they grant you, like if you are passing through, they could either attack without warning as soon as possible, observe you some turns and attack without warning (maybe even ambush you - barb rising), or attack you only if you do stuff in their territory, like settling a city or working a tile, or trying to contact you diplomatically (pacifists) at a given time. This could work a little like passing through Civ5 City-States territory, but with different sensibilities according to the tribe (random : no uniques) and maybe also its situation. There could even be a color system from green to red showing how likely a given tribe could attack, information given by your spies or other neighbouring tribes you could already talk to. Each part of this information would display discreetly on the map if available.

We could even take a page from previous Civs and give the settlements/barbarians Names based on historical tribes. Tie the names generated to the terrain/situation, and it would be easy to see that a tribe in the desert named 'Apache' or 'Berber' is probably going to be Trouble, without requiring 'artificial' markers.

New Source of Ideas that I have to share:
In the past week I've been reading a new book, The Silk Roads by Peter Frankopan. It's an 800+ page monster, but has already given me two notes of interest to our discussion:
First, on nomadic 'cities':
The capital of the Khazars, a nomadic group that sat right astride part of the Silk Road, was described by contemporary travelers (8th Century CE) as being part camp and part city. Tents, tents built on top of buildings, regular brick, wood and stone buildings - all together. This indicates something I suspected, that even a nomadic or pastoral Civilization can 'settle down' given a suitably lucrative location. In this case, the Khazar Capital was on the lower Volga River perfectly placed to catch the sea trade across the Caspian Sea from Persia and the Caucasus, the pack trains coming across the steppe/desert from the east and China, and the very profitable Fur Trade coming down the Volga from northern Russia. Location, location, location, as they say.
.....This means, though, that even a mobile 'settlement' can quite historically stop and form a city without requiring any 'gamey' mechanism. If the spot is good enough, even the most ardent Horse Nomad will stop and exploit it.

Second, on the income generated by Trade:
- Even Civ V's emphasis on Gold generated by Trade Routes massively underestimates the potential. But it depended on certain commodities. Silk, Furs, Spices, Porcelain - to name the Big Four of the trade into the early Islamic World in 8 - 9th centuries CE, not only generated incredible wealth within the Civ, it also generated 'pull' outside the empire, for states as far away as Southeast Asia. Scandinavia and China to provide these lucrative goods for the markets in the middle east (well, actually stretching from Cordoba in Spain to northwestern India and south-central Asia - Size [of market] Matters, Too).
Future Civ VI's Trade System could tie the 'value' of Luxuries to Demand, possibly based on the amount of 'urbanization' in a Civ (number and size of cities versus smaller Settlements, Villages, Towns?) and perhaps even Culture and Social Policy... Some goods always had more universal value: Food to cities or parts of a Civ that couldn't supply enough locally (Rome, for instance), Gold or Silver just about everywhere once Coinage was introduced - Copper or any other substance was a lousy substitute, the 'precious' metals were always in demand.

As to City-States, there's no reason for them to be labelled specifically as so, so that a civ and/or city could be one of them at any given time, and cease to be it when wanted also. All simply, being a C-S should give some advantages, like growing powerfull early more quickly than with building settlers (that should take much longer to build, with growth halted so that being a C-S early would be the logical step, except by conquest). I think City-States should have other affairs in mind than colonizing on a first move, like treating with their environment and its inhabitants, in order to install their power first. Installing their power could include conquer villages and minor other cities, for building a strategic power. Indeed, a City(-State) could be composed of a major city, plus other satellites, and remains a city-state... if only they would have a particular status (see next paragraph). Then, it would cease to be a C-S (specifically or not) when the leaders leads their growing forces towards the outside.

These comments tie in with my Theme of More Dynamic Game. Initially, All Settlements Are Alike, in that they may grow into a Civilization, a City State, or become the center of a Barbarian Horde. Having a new 'Civilization' appear later in the game from either a bunch of barbarians settling down to trade (see Khazars above) or a City State growing into a multi-city State/Civilization, is something I've thought the game needed for a while. The Non-Starting Civ could be from the same list that you could choose at the beginning, or a separate list tied to the list of City States, but I'd prefer the former: Most of the Civs in Civilization have always been civilizations that either started after 4000 BCE (most flagrant example: 'America') or changed into something new from an older Civilization (see: Rome versus Italy, Vikings versus Norway, Gauls versus France, etc, etc, etc.).
Right now, once you've contacted all the other civ on the map, you can pretty much plan out how the rest of the game is going to proceed, because the civs each have their own leader, unique attributes, and 'personality': sharing the map with the Zulus, Mongols, Aztecs and Assyrians - gonna be a militant game! How much more interesting if the Zulus or Mongols grow out of a set of Barbarian Settlements/Cities or City States half-way through the game? 'Never a Dull Moment' is a Good Thing in a game...

Or, give a specific status to City-States (policies ?), so that they get benefits that allow them to weight politically along with... empires, as long as distances are not the only thing that prevented them to be obliterated in reality. (France attacked Italy and Germany City-States, but on the long run it didn't stayed in those areas, that's why a system of influence decay - through culture mutations ? - should be implemented, so that a given civilization would evolve more or less sinusoidally other than proportionnally with time even if one plays well) Those specificities could translate into granting rough gold to their allIES (need a more relevant diplomacy system, with choice of side / neutrality when 2 allies fight) and reciprocally. (through material trade like with civ5 trade routes ? In that case every C-S should have double TRs than standard civs, or double anything that allows to get them, unless the fact to remain a C-S means more of something, like culture and science are penalized with number of cities in Civ5, but more significant, like culture points allowing you to unlock more and more powerful buffs as policies, but a lot less with several cities, which equals to the non-specific type of C-S, see previous paragraph)

There should be a lot more diplomatic options with City States (and Barbarians) than there are now. I've posted on that before, so let me move on a bit to the aspects of Culture and Trade.
Having a 'Culture' in each map area, set of Settlements, or however the game decides to define it, would be a Very Good Thing. For one, it provides a 'brake' on rampant Expansionism. You can, in fact, settle new cities all over the place very early (see the Greek expansion in 6 - 400 BCE all over the Mediterranean and Black Sea coasts) BUT isolated cities surrounded by a different culture, tend to end up part of that culture or a 'hybrid' of that culture and their own, quite alien to the original civilization that founded them. Sevastopol and Marseilles were both Greek City States when they were founded, but they are very thoroughly Russian and French, respectively, now and have been for hundred or thousands of years. The lack of this kind of mechanism is one reason why Europa Universalis doesn't quite work - smaller states get gobbled up by larger ones at a quite unrealistic rate, so that a game started at the earliest date never produces a map resembling the historical later start dates, even in parts of the world where the human player has no influence.

In the game, 'Culture' could perhaps be defined as certain starting Social/Religious Policies unique to given areas/regions. City States or Settlements springing up in those areas would be very resistant to 'assimilation' by a Civ that doesn't share those kinds of Policies - that 'culture'. The degree of difference would be part of this - even in Ancient/Classical times, different Culture Groups like the Germans or Jews did not assimilate well into the Roman world, and even if you militarily conquered the area, revolts and lack of tax income ('passive resistance', smuggling, cheating, etc) could make the conquest not worth the trouble in the long run, without taking Drastic Actions - the sack of Jerusalem by the Romans, the obliteration of whole cities by the Mongols, Timurids, etc. - among other things, this might make people Fear You, but it doesn't necessarily make them Cooperative, or easier to assimilate - Jerusalem is still there, and the area around it is in no way 'Roman'...

My interpretation of early game barbarians is that they are the hunter-gatherer tribes that didn't transition into an agrarian society like the civs and city states. Later, I usually attribute them to pirates or free-living anarchists that don't like to pay taxes or follow the laws of any state. This later interpretation seems to fit with the idea that barbarians spawn when your civilization is unhappy.

Barbarians could be changed drastically though, turned more fully into non-settled cultures like nomadic people such as the early plains native Americans. Aggressive barbarians can be renamed as bandits or pirates so that there is still something to fill their function, whereas the cultured sort of barbarians (non-settled cultures) represent a population occupying an area without actual settlements. Settling in these regions could therefore lead to conflict with these people as you displace them.

They would form small camps in their territory, but would not have ownership of any of the tiles. They can be traded with, where they will have access to some resources within their domain. Examples would be furs, ivory, deer, cattle, bison, horses, sheep, truffles, wheat. Bonus resources may allow you to provide resources to these people (strategic, luxury or perhaps even gold as a general representation for items of value) in return for food to your city. Luxury resources may be received as usual.

Two problems I see with this. First, right now you start with a mobile Settler, so starting as a fixed Settlement would actually reduce your early flexibility.

Not if those settlements start mobile for the most part. (nomads)

Second, while it makes an interesting Option, extended the standard game's 6000 Years And Change timespan - AND keeping all 6000+ years of turns full of interesting decisions and actions - is a Tall Order. I put it to you that the Civ franchise hasn't entirely succeeded in keeping all of 6000 years equally playable, and I am dubious that adding more dull turns is going to help. Increase the dynamism and possibilities within the current span, then worry about adding on to either end (Prehistoric or Future)
- But, having said that, I know that there's a lot of interest in extended the Prehistoric/Future timescale (several Mods for both), and, to be honest, the 'Future Tech' provisions of Test Of Time were some of the most interesting parts of that game to me.

I'm sure we can get along finding fun ways of playing in prehistoric eras, because as you say there's already some proof of interest for them. (mods, ideas) And just that the fact to allow the player to choose between hunters-gatherers, city-states, regular empires, pastoral civs, barbarians or whatever needs some elaborating era, even if it's not long.

We could even take a page from previous Civs and give the settlements/barbarians Names based on historical tribes. Tie the names generated to the terrain/situation, and it would be easy to see that a tribe in the desert named 'Apache' or 'Berber' is probably going to be Trouble, without requiring 'artificial' markers.

With the uniques it would imply, it would be too much work, better stick to the random part, which would lead to a discover every game.

New Source of Ideas that I have to share:
In the past week I've been reading a new book, The Silk Roads by Peter Frankopan. It's an 800+ page monster, but has already given me two notes of interest to our discussion:
First, on nomadic 'cities':
The capital of the Khazars, a nomadic group that sat right astride part of the Silk Road, was described by contemporary travelers (8th Century CE) as being part camp and part city. Tents, tents built on top of buildings, regular brick, wood and stone buildings - all together. This indicates something I suspected, that even a nomadic or pastoral Civilization can 'settle down' given a suitably lucrative location. In this case, the Khazar Capital was on the lower Volga River perfectly placed to catch the sea trade across the Caspian Sea from Persia and the Caucasus, the pack trains coming across the steppe/desert from the east and China, and the very profitable Fur Trade coming down the Volga from northern Russia. Location, location, location, as they say.
.....This means, though, that even a mobile 'settlement' can quite historically stop and form a city without requiring any 'gamey' mechanism. If the spot is good enough, even the most ardent Horse Nomad will stop and exploit it.

If you make resources deplete, and forbid any construction while the group is not halted since 1 turn, you may stay on one place until all resources are depleted or nearly. Nothing prevents you to build buildings in that place, that you would recover the next season, except maybe the absolute necessecity, unless a cultural particularity encourages you to do it maybe.

Second, on the income generated by Trade:
- Even Civ V's emphasis on Gold generated by Trade Routes massively underestimates the potential. But it depended on certain commodities. Silk, Furs, Spices, Porcelain - to name the Big Four of the trade into the early Islamic World in 8 - 9th centuries CE, not only generated incredible wealth within the Civ, it also generated 'pull' outside the empire, for states as far away as Southeast Asia. Scandinavia and China to provide these lucrative goods for the markets in the middle east (well, actually stretching from Cordoba in Spain to northwestern India and south-central Asia - Size [of market] Matters, Too).
Future Civ VI's Trade System could tie the 'value' of Luxuries to Demand, possibly based on the amount of 'urbanization' in a Civ (number and size of cities versus smaller Settlements, Villages, Towns?) and perhaps even Culture and Social Policy... Some goods always had more universal value: Food to cities or parts of a Civ that couldn't supply enough locally (Rome, for instance), Gold or Silver just about everywhere once Coinage was introduced - Copper or any other substance was a lousy substitute, the 'precious' metals were always in demand.

In Civ5 I blame the high price of everything. Everything should be so much cheaper, for not just spending your gold occasionnally or exceptionnally. You should purchase things a lot more oftenly, or at least be encouraged to do so by much lower prices. That would dynamize everything. The only problems is to come up with enough buildings to buy in the game design. (not a problem for units) Even C-S bribing should be less expensive, allying many with no concurrence should be pretty easy even early, and you should be able to do many more things with gold. That alone would lead to more choices, sacrifices, and maybe also strategic orientations. (specializing)

These comments tie in with my Theme of More Dynamic Game. Initially, All Settlements Are Alike, in that they may grow into a Civilization, a City State, or become the center of a Barbarian Horde. Having a new 'Civilization' appear later in the game from either a bunch of barbarians settling down to trade (see Khazars above) or a City State growing into a multi-city State/Civilization, is something I've thought the game needed for a while. The Non-Starting Civ could be from the same list that you could choose at the beginning, or a separate list tied to the list of City States, but I'd prefer the former: Most of the Civs in Civilization have always been civilizations that either started after 4000 BCE (most flagrant example: 'America') or changed into something new from an older Civilization (see: Rome versus Italy, Vikings versus Norway, Gauls versus France, etc, etc, etc.).
Right now, once you've contacted all the other civ on the map, you can pretty much plan out how the rest of the game is going to proceed, because the civs each have their own leader, unique attributes, and 'personality': sharing the map with the Zulus, Mongols, Aztecs and Assyrians - gonna be a militant game! How much more interesting if the Zulus or Mongols grow out of a set of Barbarian Settlements/Cities or City States half-way through the game? 'Never a Dull Moment' is a Good Thing in a game...

You are still quite far away from the dynamic I envision for Civ. :D Not only countries would fall and rise during the game, but it should be a kind of permanent rule for everybody, the player included. This raises some problems, like the will of the player being seemingly obliterated by the realm of apparent randomness, even if few would be quite random, or the question of the player and the game over if its civ disappears 'accidentally'. (it would probably mutate and/or change its status)

There should be a lot more diplomatic options with City States (and Barbarians) than there are now. I've posted on that before, so let me move on a bit to the aspects of Culture and Trade.
Having a 'Culture' in each map area, set of Settlements, or however the game decides to define it, would be a Very Good Thing. For one, it provides a 'brake' on rampant Expansionism. You can, in fact, settle new cities all over the place very early (see the Greek expansion in 6 - 400 BCE all over the Mediterranean and Black Sea coasts) BUT isolated cities surrounded by a different culture, tend to end up part of that culture or a 'hybrid' of that culture and their own, quite alien to the original civilization that founded them. Sevastopol and Marseilles were both Greek City States when they were founded, but they are very thoroughly Russian and French, respectively, now and have been for hundred or thousands of years. The lack of this kind of mechanism is one reason why Europa Universalis doesn't quite work - smaller states get gobbled up by larger ones at a quite unrealistic rate, so that a game started at the earliest date never produces a map resembling the historical later start dates, even in parts of the world where the human player has no influence.

In the game, 'Culture' could perhaps be defined as certain starting Social/Religious Policies unique to given areas/regions. City States or Settlements springing up in those areas would be very resistant to 'assimilation' by a Civ that doesn't share those kinds of Policies - that 'culture'. The degree of difference would be part of this - even in Ancient/Classical times, different Culture Groups like the Germans or Jews did not assimilate well into the Roman world, and even if you militarily conquered the area, revolts and lack of tax income ('passive resistance', smuggling, cheating, etc) could make the conquest not worth the trouble in the long run, without taking Drastic Actions - the sack of Jerusalem by the Romans, the obliteration of whole cities by the Mongols, Timurids, etc. - among other things, this might make people Fear You, but it doesn't necessarily make them Cooperative, or easier to assimilate - Jerusalem is still there, and the area around it is in no way 'Roman'...

That was basically my former idea to make Civ more dynamic. It is an influence decay through culture mutation : your capital has a cultural range (completely separated from its borders, another curiosity of Civ since Civ3), determined by your cultural strenght (culture points per turn) and the permeability of the surrounding lands. (mountains very low permeability, railroads very high, etc.) Theorically, it's done to make cities "rebel" or simply switch culture when the culture influence is lower than time. As you see, a city would rebel sooner if it is separated by low culture permeability lands from the culture home, or if it's out of its range. Connect everything with roads, and not only the cities would rebel much later yet, but maybe never rebel (with the concept of nation in mind).

The problem with Civilization is that all the civs start in a linear tech progression. This isn't reflective in society. Civilizations like Germany, Huns, Monogolia, Arabia etc... existed as barbarians alongside more settled advanced empires. The Huns could really be seen as a cluster of 50-100 barb camps all spawning a battering ram and a horsebowman and going on a rampage. After that they disappear...
Other people's like the slavs for instance didn't even have their own written language until the Byzantine Greek Missionaries created the Cyrillic alphabet for them.

Top Bottom