Barbarian Nonsense

Funny, I always get the distinct impression that when given between humans and AI, the barbs always go after the human units. I see this happen even when they are about to kill an AI unit and I just happen to stroll past.

Barbs will bypass AI to attack the player. Went to watch them razing an AI city, and they all stopped to attack my warrior 3 tiles away, on a hill.

Barbs will bypass AI to attack the player. Went to watch them razing an AI city, and they all stopped to attack my warrior 3 tiles away, on a hill.

I think that's an AI thing in general, they will often ignore attacking a city to attack units, distance be damned.

I have seen the best players in the world rage quit from barbs. I love it. :)
Dont change the barbs!

I think that's an AI thing in general, they will often ignore attacking a city to attack units, distance be damned.

I have also seen the AI charge at barbs instead of my units sieging their cities. I have no idea eh.

I don't reload when I loose something or ragequit. Game got a lot more fun...

Pretty much always do so, I move my barb out of my city onto a wooded hill behind a river and the barbs will suicide against me every time... If there is a ring around a city some may still attack the city.
I have not tested fully in R&F but barbs had a higher priority against scouts and so will attack an enemy scout before your warrior. They would chase a scout around your city while the slinger inside killed it.
The barbs really want your units not your cities and can be misdirected for a merry chase but regardless still take your time up.
The spawn rate of barbs is hugely different on immortal and deity. These levels spawn more and one every turn instead of 2 and get archers earlier now.. and spawn more ranged which TBH are the real pain, not the early horsemen which are just fast warriors and rather weak.

I find an early scout has just so many uses and either misdirecting or even defending with a scout is rather strong. you can lead a unit or two away to a wooded hill and fortify there and watch the warriors die against you. As scout can be +12 on a wooded hill and its not hard to get to +17 with a river, the barbs are stupid and are best dealt with by cunning. I'll often buy a scout if there is a surprise raid on the horizon purely because they delay and water down the attack so much.

I agree sometimes they are a pain, I have ragequit against them but not since about July last year because I learn that they are normally copable, yes they will slow you down but there are other random factors like a grassland start that are much worse.

Last game I played, I didn't see a camp quite close to my home, as france plopped a city 4 tiles from my starting one within 20 turns, so my mind was elsewhere...

Had a funny thing happen... started being heavily Barb horsemen swamped at my capital (only 1 city) and was in bad straits, then France's units come swarming in my territory (no limitations so early in game)
and they just took care of the barbs for me.... Never seen that happen before, usually an AI will mostly run away, but this time they took care of 4 horsemen while I was getting back on my feet.

Thanked them very soon after by taking over that city 4 tiles away from mine, since their units were pretty depleted...

See ? you just never know when a dreaded barbarian attack might actually help you in the end :king::goodjob:

Overpowered barbs make me quit often. Doesn't matter how careful you are, most times you can't stop a scout that discovered your city. I don't like being forced going the military way (why you think I've chosen Ghandi?!). Also it seems totally inconsistent. Some maps are just swarming with barbs, and strong ones from the start, but I've seen a few that seemed almost empty, too.

The barb is one of the best features with the whole civ 6 genra.

The fact that so many people finds them powerful speaks for itself :p

I love the new barbarian system. I never quit, I either win or lose it all. The barbarians are also a good way to stomp the AI and prevent it from running away early on. The series always had such a boring start where you just kept building and clicking 'next' over and over... the early threat of barbarians fixed that.

Also, with the +5 vs barbarians they're not that much of a threat... I mean they're hard, but not impossible.

In Vanilla, I always played with barbs off, unless I was playing as Gilgamesh, which wasn't very often, because I just don't think barbarians are fun. As R&F info started coming out I decided I'd need to turn them back on, because they looked like such an easy source of era score. And they are, especially during the ancient era. Plus you get several good boosts out of them. But they are just so annoying. It's not that I find them difficult to deal with, they're just a constant (for the first part of the game), annoying, and often frustrating distraction that prevents me from playing the game how I want to play it.

So I've decided to turn them back off. I can sometimes get those boosts from other sources, like goody huts or an early Great Scientist, but that's unreliable, so a lot of the time I have to hard research them. But that's not a big deal. I probably actually save time by not having to deal with the barbs (certainly real world time, if not game turns). And I haven't had too much trouble with era score. In my most recent game as Kongo, I hit a dark age for classical, so that was bad as I wasn't able to take much advantage of the dark age policy cards, but that didn't really matter because I then got the heroic age, and spent the rest of the game in golden age after golden age.

My advice is to play whatever way you're going to have the most fun. It's a game after all. So if barbs lower your fun level, turn them off. That works for me. That last game was the most fun I've had playing since R&F came out.

they are just so annoying. It's not that I find them difficult to deal with, they're just a constant (for the first part of the game), annoying, and often frustrating distraction that prevents me from playing the game how I want to play it.

It's not about you, though. The game is supposed to be frustrating... that is the point of a strategy game. It should make you think, hard.

It's not about you, though. The game is supposed to be frustrating... that is the point of a strategy game. It should make you think, hard.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Are you saying that I shouldn't be able to play the game that I paid money for the way I want to play it? If so, then I 100% disagree with you. For me, having fun is the most important thing in this or any other game. I don't want to be frustrated, I get enough of that at work. I play to have fun. Barbarians, to me, aren't fun because they distract me from the parts of the game I do find fun. If I only have 2 hours to play and have to spend the first 15, 20, 30 minutes dealing with a part of the game I don't enjoy, then I feel I haven't got the most out of my game. Also, barbarians don't make me think, hard or otherwise. They make me build units when I'd rather build something else. They make me run those units around the map squashing barbs and their camps when I'd rather be doing something else. They make me waste my time and have less fun. But they certainly don't make me think.

If you like dealing with barbarians and all that, that's fine for you. I can see where people would find that enjoyable. It's just not for me. I also don't play for fastest win time, even though a lot of people on this forum think that is the best/only way to play. Most of the time I never finish my games, like the Kongo game I was talking about. I just stopped playing, but I had fun while I was playing and a big part of that was because I turned barbarians off. I also don't chop every tree in sight, even though a lot of people here think that's the best way to do things. I like my trees. I only chop them if I want to build something on that tile. Why? Beats me, that's just how I do things in my game. I also don't war all game long, etc. etc.

So, sorry, but my game is about me. What my game is not about is you. Your game is about you. We play the game differently. That's fine. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you or I or whoever is enjoying the game the way they choose to play, they're playing the right way.

Of course if that wasn't what you meant, then I did misunderstand you and you can feel free to not read all that stuff I just wrote. Which you probably already did. Cuz this is at the end and all that other stuff came first. Sorry.

I think he is trying to point out that the Barbarians are there both to limit your early expansions (as well as that of the rest of the AIs), and to remind you to build a small army to prevent any early wars by your neighbors.

The barbarians are a global factor, not just one that affects you as a player.

Overpowered barbs make me quit often. Doesn't matter how careful you are, most times you can't stop a scout that discovered your city. I don't like being forced going the military way (why you think I've chosen Ghandi?!). Also it seems totally inconsistent. Some maps are just swarming with barbs, and strong ones from the start, but I've seen a few that seemed almost empty, too.

Well...it sounds to me like you're getting the full historical treatment then. Many budding Civs were littered over the ocean floor as Gitarja would put it ;)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Are you saying that I shouldn't be able to play the game that I paid money for the way I want to play it? If so, then I 100% disagree with you.

I don't think he quite meant it like that. The option is there to turn them off, so who are we to judge you using that option? But if you want the genuine experience as it's intended to be...

Last edited:
I do understand the point of barbarians and that they can actually be useful and I can understand why some people like orasis and Kurnn love the barbarian system. I do sometimes get in the mood to be a little more warmongery and on those occasions I have fun messing with barbs and then going after the AI. That's just not how I normally play the game. Most of the time I want to be left alone to do my own thing, because that's how I like to play.

I didn't mean to turn that into a rant directed at orasis. It's just that I read too many posts on here that seem to imply that if you're not playing a certain way, you are playing less than optimal way, which implies an inferior way, which brings its own inferences with it. I don't think there is a wrong way to play, as long as you enjoy playing the way you do. So again, sorry to orasis if I came across too harsh or whatever.

Top Bottom