[Vanilla] Barbarian nuclear subs?

zxcvbob

Emperor
I was playing on a Terra map as Harald yesterday and none of the AIs were particularly interested in exploring, and I was colonizing the new world. It was probably the modern era and I had frigates, privateers, caravels. I encountered a swarm of barb ironclads and a submarine. The ironclads were nothing new, but I didn't expect so many. But I'd never seen a barbarian sub before. They kicked my ass. I withdrew. I got some reinforcements; also tried to take out the encampment by land with a cavalry but he got bombarded by a sub before he could attack and also had to retreat.

A little later I went back with battleships, an admiral, and a sub of my own. Killed a few ironclads but almost lost a battleship. I finally wiped them out with an apostle with heathen conversion, and use an infantry to take the camp. Later I figured out that the sub I captured was a nuclear sub! WTF? I don't think anybody was in the information age yet, but I'm not sure. I had already won a religious victory and Just One More Turned, so a lot of the ranking stats were disabled.

The sub seemed to work just fine even tho' I had no uranium. (hadn't even discovered it yet) OTOH I never had to heal it so maybe it was handicapped and I didn't know it.

So it's normal for barbarians to have subs (and especially nuclear ones) and I just haven't noticed it before? I have seen barb destroyers and mechanized infantry before; not sure about tanks. What about fighters? :)

In Civ 5 if you capture a barbarian unit that normally requires a strategic resource, that unit does not use any resources until you upgrade it. Does '6 do the same thing? I have just recently switched from mostly playing 5 to mostly 6, and don't have a lot of experience with it.

Nuclear subs do not require uranium (and are very strong). Maybe it was something to do with already winning the game? Any mods on?

Nuclear subs do not require uranium (and are very strong). Maybe it was something to do with already winning the game? Any mods on?

Hmm, they don't require uranium in Civ5 but I thought they did in '6. No DLC and no mods. I was surprised when a sub almost one-shot a full health battleship with the extra strength naval promotion. Not so surprising once I found out it was a nuke sub!

Top Bottom