Barbarian question

Elite

Comrade
Is there a way to make them more of a threat? I loved how in Civ IV they were not only a nuisance but were a threat if not dealt with quickly enough.

city taking I know it not possible(most likely) but I mean where barbarians get regular units to start out with instead of Conscript, and maybe attacks to be equal instead of 1.1.1.

The simplest solution would be to open up the conquests.biq in the editor and under Rules/General Settings change the Basic and Advanced Barbarian to more advanced units. Or, you could add entirely new units and give them whatever settings you want including additional hitpoints. Either way it would be best to save the .biq as a new scenario so you don't overwrite your mainfile.

You can also add NoAIPatrol=0 to the conquests.ini, which allows the Barbarians to behave (attack) like they did in PTW.

Is there a way to make them more of a threat? I loved how in Civ IV they were not only a nuisance but were a threat if not dealt with quickly enough.

city taking I know it not possible(most likely) but I mean where barbarians get regular units to start out with instead of Conscript, and maybe attacks to be equal instead of 1.1.1.

I tried to make one of the tribes (the Celts) behave like barbarians; no culture buildings, hidden nationality and highly aggressive.

If you want them to be more of a thread, in the editor you can assign more advanced units to them.

I have given them in the editor more powerful units (Bandit (2/1/1), Bandit Horseman (3/2/2) and Pirate Galley (2/1/3)).

Also have stuffed up the conscript unit level from 2 to 3 hitpoints to equal them to the regular.

As alternative one can add a bonus hitpoint to the barbarian/bandit units. ;)

Also have stuffed up the conscript unit level from 2 to 3 hitpoints to equal them to the regular.

As alternative one can add a bonus hitpoint to the barbarian/bandit units. ;)

That is somewhat important. Those 2 hitpoints only make barbarian weak.

I have given them in the editor more powerful units (Bandit (2/1/1), Bandit Horseman (3/2/2) and Pirate Galley (2/1/3)).

Even that may leave them too weak. Not using any new units giving them antique cavalry(3/2/2, +1HP), war elephants(4/3/2, +1 HP) and privateers(2/1/5, 3 Defbombardment and ability to enslave) might be a proper choice.

You can also add NoAIPatrol=0 to the conquests.ini, which allows the Barbarians to behave (attack) like they did in PTW.

That is also required. If Barbarian have stronger units but donnot use them the fun is gone.

Another thing to consider is difficulty level. At Demigod you get +25% against barbarians, at Emperor +50%, at King +100% and at Regent +200%. That offsets things a lot.

Ah so I have to make unique barbarian units to make them stronger, and Conscripts, all their problem is, is lower health right? attack isn't affected?

i mostly play scenario's so making a new one is no problem.

and Conscripts, all their problem is, is lower health right? attack isn't affected?

In general, attack does not depend on the "experience" (conscript, regular, veteran, elite) of a unit. However, for barbarians the attack strength is still affected, though not because of their conscript status: the human player gets a combat bonus versus barbarian units, depending on the difficulty level:

Code:
Chieftain   Warlord   Regent   Monarch   Emperor   Deity  Demigod  Sid
     800%      400%     200%      100%       50%      0%      25%   0%

Ah so I have to make unique barbarian units to make them stronger, and Conscripts, all their problem is, is lower health right? attack isn't affected.

Attack and defense are not affected by the unit's combat experience. However, it does affect how long the unit can stay in the fight - more combat experience=more hit points=more difficult to defeat.

Instead of changing the base hit points on the Combat Experience tab of the editor, which would affect ALL units in the game, I'd simply add HP Bonus to the new Barbarian unit(s). I think this would have even a greater effect than increasing the attack/defense even though the unit is technically still a conscript.

Also, imo, changing the Attack Bonus vs. Barbarians, unless it is a large amount, would only have a negligible effect.

Perhaps adding one additional hp, a small increase in attack/defense, and a moderate decrease in the attack bonus to each of the three Barbarian units would give you the result you want.

Ah so I have to make unique barbarian units to make them stronger, and Conscripts, all their problem is, is lower health right? attack isn't affected?

i mostly play scenario's so making a new one is no problem.

Removed

the human player gets a combat bonus versus barbarian units, depending on the difficulty level:

AI gets the same bonus, doesn't it? AI always "plays" on regent. So it gets the regent bonus vs. barbarians and bonus huts are treated like on regent aswell. This means that on higher diffculty settings AI very much benefits from barbarians. It gets better hut resuts and it can take down barbarian villages fors some extra gold more easily than human do.

Top Bottom