Barbarian Scenario (February 2021) Developer Livestream Discussion

I wouldn't be surprised if "It was originally a bug, but we liked it, so we left it in" was actually "It was a bug and we couldn't figure out how to fix it, so we'll just pretend like we want it there."
You seriously think they couldn't figure out how to fix a color border

From years of experience with professional software development, both coding and planning, on complex projects then I can garauntee you even if a bug seems trivial to an outsider it might still be complex to fix. It is clearly also a matter of priority. Spend X hours fixing this, or fix that other bug which breaks the game.

There is no definite correlation between time needed to fix a bug and impact of said bug.

They should have allowed women to inherit the throne earlier: Henry VIII produced two extremely competent (albeit diametrically opposed) daughters. Kind of hard to fairly judge Edward VI's competence since he was young and sickly...

BuT iF a WoMaN iNhErIt ThE tHrOnE a FoReIgN mOnArCh CoUlD aSk It As A dOwRy AnD a FoReIgN pRiNcE wOuLd Be On ThE tHrOnE oF fRaNcE!
Thus and therefore, that's why we forbade for a woman to sit officially on the Throne of France. It's not at all because we, Ancient Frenchmen, were dreadful misogynists. Not at all. We have legal documents to prove it.

Last edited:
Did I read somewhere on here that Barb City-States will become a Barb Clan again if the CS is razed? If I didn't make that up, then that could be a reason to know the difference between a Barb CS and Standard CS

Did I read somewhere on here that Barb City-States will become a Barb Clan again if the CS is razed? If I didn't make that up, then that could be a reason to know the difference between a Barb CS and Standard CS
I think it's if the original Geneva city-state was razed, there's a possibility it could return again if a barbarian camp progresses into a city-state.

BuT iF a WoMaN iNhErIt ThE tHrOnE a FoReIgN mOnArCh CoUlD aSk It As A dOwRy AnD a FoReIgN pRiNcE wOuLd Be On ThE tHrOnE oF fRaNcE!
Thus and therefore, that's why we forbade for a woman to sit officially on the Throne of France. It's not at all because we, Ancient Frenchmen, were dreadful misogynists. Not at all. We have legal documents to prove it.

And so the Throne of France got a Corsican backside on it . . .

And so the Throne of France got a Corsican backside on it . . .
Oh, no... Now this thread will turn into a debate whether Corsica is either French or Italian... Thanks, Boris.

Also, the different Barbarian Clans are now available to see in this thread.

Many of us find that an interesting fact that adds flavour, your mileage may vary!
Perhaps, but here is a list of things that the game UI on the map needs before that:
  1. An easy way distinguish between militaristic CS and Free City.
  2. An easy way to see which CSs I'm suzerain of.
  3. An easy way to see which CSs I'm at war with, neutral with and allied with.
And that's just features relating to CSs on the game map. The origin of a CS is a curiosity, but it's going to bug me that I'm getting that information while more essential information is either problematic or unavailable.

Taking a step back and just looking at the game for what it is, I'd have to question why they're using resources to highlight the origins of a CS but none of the more important info.

I think it's if the original Geneva city-state was razed, there's a possibility it could return again if a barbarian camp progresses into a city-state.
Reading the comments, it was if a Barb camp happens to spring up in the area of the CS, when it becomes a CS itnwill become the original CS. I haven't seen the original video to see wording and context, but the poster implied that it would be a coincidence if a Barb clan happened to turn up there.

Taking a step back and just looking at the game for what it is, I'd have to question why they're using resources to highlight the origins of a CS but none of the more important info.
It was a bug not something they designed, they chose to not spend resources fixing it.

Perhaps, but here is a list of things that the game UI on the map needs before that:
  1. An easy way distinguish between militaristic CS and Free City.
  2. An easy way to see which CSs I'm suzerain of.
  3. An easy way to see which CSs I'm at war with, neutral with and allied with.
And that's just features relating to CSs on the game map. The origin of a CS is a curiosity, but it's going to bug me that I'm getting that information while more essential information is either problematic or unavailable.

What if we have city-states revert to the solid lines that normal civilizations have, with black on the outside and the city-state type on the inside. Then free cities with the dashed lines would be very easy to differentiate by borders.

If that doesn't work a more radical change would be to mix up one of the color schemes = maybe white instead of black for city-states?

Odd. I set the game to 0 CS with pool of 20 so that the 20 CS would form over time with no starting ones. But the Barb Camps seemed to be gaining no Progression towards being City-State.

Odd. I set the game to 0 CS with pool of 20 so that the 20 CS would form over time with no starting ones. But the Barb Camps seemed to be gaining no Progression towards being City-State.
You have to bribe them or hire them. Interesting to note that the AI does the same. In my game I've seen the Inca patronize at least two barbarian camps into city-states. What's most interesting of all, however, is that city-states can patronize and hire units from barbarian camps. I've seen several city-states with hired units, and a barbarian camp surrounded by city-states recently transformed into a city-state. Nice to know the AI can competently employ at least one game mode.

You have to bribe them or hire them. Interesting to note that the AI does the same. In my game I've seen the Inca patronize at least two barbarian camps into city-states. What's most interesting of all, however, is that city-states can patronize and hire units from barbarian camps. I've seen several city-states with hired units, and a barbarian camp surrounded by city-states recently transformed into a city-state. Nice to know the AI can competently employ at least one game mode.
I can't play until Sunday, due to reasons which I will not state, but I'm excited through hearing this. :D

Does Gilgamesh (well, Sumeria technically has the barbarian part of the ability, not Gilgamesh) get any interaction with Barbarians mode?

I have seen a few transition slowly without much to any interaction from me or other AI at all. They were situated in a corner of the map where other than me, no one was going to easily have much contact with them, so while I can't say for sure, I doubt other Civ's were paying them anything. Caveat - I play on Marathon.

Does Gilgamesh (well, Sumeria technically has the barbarian part of the ability, not Gilgamesh) get any interaction with Barbarians mode?

No specific change. They only identified in the lifestream you need to disperse the clan (remove it completely) and not sack it for the ability to work.

There, there, buddy. There, there... That does seem like a good synergy, though.

I just started a new game with barbarian mode. Try to guess which natural Wonder appear at 3 tiles from my capital? Insane!!

Of course, Venetia is in the middle of paititi, so they are already dead... but they do not know it yet...

Update: I kill Venetia, and don't tell me it wouldn't be cool the adjacy bonus to the CH and Zimabue!! :(

It seems the game is making fun on me... the first game post patch... and this location...

Attachments

• Paititi Zimbabue.png
    Paititi Zimbabue.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Top Bottom