1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Barbarian shipping

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Mik1984, Apr 3, 2008.

1. theKurgen

theKurgen Warlord

What's the point, in hundreds of games I'd say I've seen about 3 (Three) AI privateers ever. :)

2. Mik1984

Mik1984 Prince

Yeah, but it would be still cool for MP games.

I'd rather have implemented what I described in the OP.

3. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Just moved to BTS. Was a bit shocked to see the barbs with ships!!! Now i actually have to build more navy units.

As for barb privateers.... How can you tell??? Do they actually have them or is it just AI units??

4. Mik1984

Mik1984 Prince

And have you seen a barb ship other than a Galley???

5. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Nope but i have not really played BTS enough to say they dont have them. Im sure its in the program scripting somewhere.

6. Carabodes

Carabodes Timid Viking Warlady

I read this yesterday, and found I had to do a test. This evening I started a game (at Noble, Hemispheres, Snaky Continents, Low Sea Level, with Islands, only domination as victory condition, Standard Map, Marathon Speed) with a random leader (got Hannibal) and closed all AI players.

Only players then: Hannibal and his barbarians, :woohoo:
    (I took the opportunity to go wondercrazy, it's been a long while since I could build every wonder, and the only hurry was to get them build before they became obsolete. :lol:)

The barbs developed at Hannibal's tech speed. I had several caravels exploring from the time of Optics, and only a couple of turns after I had discovered Chemistry, out popped a privateer from a barb village. :eek:

And it wasn't mine!!! In fact, I haven't built any privateers yet.

So, barbs do know how to build privateers, and obviously do so as soon as they can. :D

Don't automatically blame the other AI's then, if privateers starts harassing you, it might just be barbs. :lol:

7. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Perhaps the barbarians had a network of cities and split off a few cities as a colony. From that colony was built this privateer. I asume the barbarians cant do colonies either.

Personally the only privateer i have seen is the one i built. Go figure.

8. Carabodes

@Gumbolt
    The barbs were the true leaders of the world. I had my tiny, wonderspamming corner, they controlled the rest. Huge cities with connecting cultural borders, many roads between cities, they even had lumbermills. If I keep on playing, I bet they will get railroads too. :lol:

9. Mik1984

Mik1984 Prince

Did they spawn anything else than galleys or privateers?

10. Carabodes

I stopped playing when I met that first privateer as point was proven, so no, no other spawning this far.

Don't know if I'll keep playing to find out what they'll do next, rather boring game (apart from all the shiny wonders), trade and diplomatic relations are meager, to say the least ... I'm SO ALONE :cry:

But I just woke up from having a nightmare about the barbs spawning Washington off as a colony :eek:, so maybe I should keep playing just to see what happens?

11. Mik1984

Mik1984 Prince

This seems that they will rather not spawn anything else. Privateers which don't belong to me are usually a rare thing to see in the game. I always assumed they belong to some player. But that's it. I don't remember ever seeing a barb ship that is not a galley. Even if on an almost completely barb map you would find by some chance a barb caravel - that would still mean they appear far too rare.

I would say there is no practical difference in this situation. In a gazillion games I never remember seeing any barb ship other than galley(not counting privs, which I logically assumed to belong to other civs.). If they really exist anyway, that doesn't matter.

Even if I have seen one in those games, but simply haven't remembered, that doesn't change anything.

12. Dearmad

Dearmad Dead weight

lol! :lol::crazyeye: isn't that the point?

seriously though you can watch for them to make a port of call...

13. Carabodes

I finished the game of Hannibal and his barbs. Only barb ships were galleys and privateers. At one point I discovered that the barbs had no oil, nor coal, so I entered WB and gave one source of oil to a single barb city. They happily built a well, and all the barb cities, on 4 different continents, started building railroads. They're obiously one nation, shearing single resources.

But, even with oil, they kept producing galleys and privateers, no other vessels. In total I killed 155 barb privateers, which proves that, given the chance, they mass produce them.

Kind of strange, they had paratroopers, and in their cities they had built supermarkets, hydro plants, airports and recirculation centres, yet all their naval units are only galleys and privateers. At one point, they even launched a SoD on me, 12 galleys loaded with paratroopers. But it seems they don't know how to use the paratroopers, they never performed a single paradrop. They just used those units as any other units, running straight into death.

It seems like they are restricted in other units, too. The only land units in late game were paratroopers, riflemen and grenadiers. So even though they can get all the advanced techs, they don't get all the benefits from them (luckily, I would hate to fight barb modern armor).

14. Mik1984

Mik1984 Prince

I believe that barbs shouldn't have restrictions on their units. Anyone know how to lift them?

15. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Hmmm mods??

There comes a point where if you allow Barbarians all units they become just another bland and uninteresting race. Why not give them a capital too?

I would love to see barbarians with great generals. Maybe an event with a 20xp axeman rampaging the Paris countryside with 5-6 others axemen units.

Uprising of Joan of Arc or Spartacus. (bad examples on the first count)

16. magicalsushi

magicalsushi Prince

I think the question was whether you get GGs from sinking barbarian privateers, rather than privateers in general. I suspect that the answer is "yes, if you can find a way to make the game generate some barbarian privateers for you to fight", but it's possible that that's not actually the case, depending on how privateers are coded. However, it arguably *shouldn't* be the case. I'm of the opinion that privateers should only give GG points if they happened to belong to a proper civ (similarly, I think barbarian privateers should not give experience beyond the 10XP limit). Of course, it shouldn't be possible to tell whether the privateers belong to the barbarians or a real civ until you've already defeated them.

17. Sim_One

Sim_One Emperor

I have sunk barbarian privateers before and I can tell they're barbarians because I did NOT get GG's from doing so.

18. Carabodes

There are no GG-points from barbarians, not even their privateers, and max 10XP for units fighting any barbarian units. That was kind of sad in my "Hannibal/barbarian" scenario, all that fighting, and no generals. :(

19. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

True if your sea unit is at 10xp and gains no xp its a barb privateer. I think reason we dont see them is most babr cities get destroyed before privateers arrive.

20. Mrdie

Mrdie Founder of eRegime

I think over time barbarians (if not destroyed somehow) should evolve into minor states during the industrial age, which are basically tiny little cities (three max which would be rare) that are lightly defended and engage in simple diplomacy. They lack leaders and traits but eventually adopt the culture of a civ near it and maybe develop hybrids over time in light of cultural competition. (E.g. French-German, as is the case with Luxembourg IRL)

In this case, you can ask that they be annexed into your civilization (in which case your culture needs to be winning and relations very high) or you can, of course, invade them to secure more land for your civ. If in the case they ever actually got big via conquest due to war declared on them, they become a full-fledged civ. (Or if max civs already, then said minor nation must conquer one before turning into a civ, or else they'll experience civil war so you aren't like "OH DEAR GOD MINOR CITIES ARE CONQUERING THE WORLD!")

You could still have barbarians after all this as they were in start still in for cities that want independence or are generally angry at you, you could just call them rebels.

More of a suggestion, but yeah.