1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Barbarian Units - Bug? (Limited testing included)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by altasilvapuer, Mar 11, 2017.

1. altasilvapuer

altasilvapuer Chieftain

I could have sworn I'd seen someone else with this bug months ago, but I've been searching for the better part of an hour, now, and can't find anything. Loading the game and mods takes me enough time that I'm rather loathe to do the one-by-one testing to try to find the culprit if I don't have to.

My modlist:
    (1) Community Patch (v.88)
    (2) Community Balance Overhaul (v.13)
    (3) City-State Diplomacy Mod (v.27)
    (4) C4DF - CBP (v.11)
    (5) More Luxuries - CBO Edition (v.155)
    (6c) 43 Civs CP (v.1)
    City States Evolved (v.3)
    Faster Aircraft Animations (v.3)
    Improved Air Recon (v.1)
    No XP Cap from Barbarians (v.1)
    Promotions - Expansion Pack (v.9)
    RED Modpack (v.27)
    RED Extreme (v.27)
    Really Advanced Setup (v.15)
    Reforestation (v.8)
    Sukritact's Events and Decisions (v.3)
    Thal's FlagPromotions (v.1)
    Units - Subs Ignore Borders (v.3)
    Useful Oil Mod (v.10)

I'm starting in the Modern Era.

The problem is that all of the barbarians I see spawning around me have only Zeppelins. No combat units, no ocean units; just Zeppelins. I previously had JFD's Exploration Continued Expanded (v.20) installed. With that activated, they spawned only Scouts, instead of Zeppelins.

Any ideas where to start looking, anyone?

2. SLGray

SLGray Chieftain

Well these 2 deal with aircrafts:
    Faster Aircraft Animations (v.3)
    Improved Air Recon (v.1)

3. altasilvapuer

altasilvapuer Chieftain

Neither should be affecting the Zeppelin, though, yes?

UPDATE: I just tested it with just 1-5 & 6c and also with Really Advanced Setup, and I've still got the bug. I can test it without RAS, but it makes it *much* more time-consuming to go find a barbarian to check, so I'm going to go try reinstalling VP, first. I'll report back what I find.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  4. altasilvapuer

altasilvapuer Chieftain

UPDATE: I reinstalled and went with the standard VP (EUI), instead of the 43-civ DLL, just to see if it would make a difference. I also disabled RAS and went with just the VP files. Starting in the Modern Era, I'm still getting only Zeppelins as barbarian units. Am I missing something? Or is there something in their tech tree that merges all the barbarian units into Zeppelins by the end of the Industrial Era?

A start in the Classical Era yields exclusively Hand-axes. I'll test the other eras and report back.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  5. StugLife

StugLife Chieftain

I have seen barbarian zeppelins without any additional mods installed, so it might be intended.

6. altasilvapuer

altasilvapuer Chieftain

Alright, I'm back after a little bit of testing with only the 6 components of Vox Populi with EUI (but not the 43-civ version). I ran as Washington on Quick speed (and I think Chieftan difficulty). Each time, I grabbed Honor Policy for the Barb notification and mostly just grabbed in the tree at random. Each settler/etc I had founded a city that then kept pumping out Scout/Explorer/Zeppelin/Paratrooper units accordingly and these were sent indiscriminately outwards to uncover as much map as possible. (It is insanely tedious to try to explore the map with exclusively Paratroopers after having used Explorers & Zeppelins, by the way. Insanely tedious. That loss of terrain ignoring is quite painful.) I ran each map roughly 12-15 turns, except for #6, because I'd already been through that. I ran only 6ish turns on that one to confirm the same behaviour.

Starting Era / Barbarian Unit
    1. Ancient / Brute
    2. Classical / Hand-Axe
    3. Medieval / Compound Bowman and Skirmisher (*1)
    4. Renaissance / Heavy Skirmisher (*3)
    5. Industrial / Cuirassier and Tercio
    6. Modern / Zeppelin
    7. Atomic / Machine Gun (*2)
    8. Information / Bazooka
    Notes:
    *1: I also saw a single spearman that I thought was a Barbarian but he vanished into the Fog before I could check. I later ran across an Ethiopian spearman that I at first thought was barbarian due to the similar colors, so the first was likely the same.
    *2: In the atomic era, everyone seemed to be using exclusively Machine Guns - Barbarians, Minor Civs, and Major Civs. I started a brief war with the Celts because they wouldn't give me open borders and when I captured their city, they never took it back because they were only using Machine Guns and just kept shooting at it. Ditto for the barbarians camped just outside the border.
    *3: I also had a very strange experience in the Renaissance test where I discovered Morocco and exchanged embassies. Immediately after, on their turn, he initiated a trade of luxuries 1-1, and as soon as I accepted, he turned around and declared war. He was also halfway across a Huge map, too, so it's not like we were directly competing for, well, anything.

Given the above notes (and a few other weird things I saw), I'm thinking something weird happened in the AI since the last version of this I played with regard to how units are valued. I had a game that I played on the Sept 12 version of VP without issue last fall (other than some mod conflict graphical bugs), but after wandering away for a few months and coming back, I figured I might as well update and start a new one. Am I only noticing the difference because of the jump in versions where everyone else has gradually rolled into the differences, or is there a bug at work, here?

Thoughts, Gazebo?

-asp

Infixo likes this.
  7. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

Since you were starting on a much later era, the AIs probably never had time to develop their "grand strategy" as Gazebo calls it, so they were reverted back to their primitive vanilla AI strategy.

8. altasilvapuer

altasilvapuer Chieftain

Interesting. So what you're saying is that if I stuck with one of those games, the barbarians (and major civs, as well) would have diversified, eventually? I might have to experiment with this later, then.

-asp