Barb Colossus0000.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 1,021
  • barb-colossus map0000.JPG
    barb-colossus map0000.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 829
holy king said:
who'd have thunk that?
Think, thank, thunk? :)

I've never experienced anything like it, but I heard it's possible. They can become very advanced, if you leave them alone.

Speaking of barbs, I'm playing the game type with the new world. It's around 1550 and I've stumbled on a bunch of tribal villages. Is there anything to be had from these at this point in the game other than gold or perhaps a worker? Certainly they wouldn't be providing any techs, correct? I've had to run into them with my knights, etc because an Explorer can't attack and there is always at least one enemy melee unit stationed there (and I can't draw them out by leaving the Explorer sitting in the adjacent square).

Ive had Barb build StoneHenge before. Curiously the city that built it had a stone quarry hooked up, halving the cost.

I see from your screenshot that there is a mine on grasslands. It wouldnt be a copper mine would it? Maybe availiable resourses determines if Barbs will build Wonders.

You're researching physics and barbarian city is size of 7. These indicate that barbarians have been settled down for a quite a long period of time. There are also colosseum and aqueduct built in the city.
I think AI develop barbarian cities just as any other cities. Barbarians do not trade nor take any other contact to other civs. (That's why they're barbarians ) But how do they develop surrounding terrain and found cities? I've never spotted a barbarian worker or settler!

I think barbarians should "civilize" when they found a city and develop it to a certain point. Then they could appear as a new civilization and you could trade and build relationship to them!

Doctor Love said:
Dunno about settlers, but I have definitely seem barb workers.

Seen lots of workers, and often capture some when taking barb cities. But as he said, never seen a settler.

I've seen Barbs rebuild their cities that I have razed, but always in the fog of war. I've never actually seen the Settler, but You'd have to assume...

I don't think that barb settlers exist. If you have fast units though, those barb workers make nice additions to your empire!

i've seen wonders and riflemen, but no settlers

But really though, how are barbarian cities formed? Maybe they just magically appear, or maybe they do have settlers. Everything barbarian happens in the fog of war. They probably do, but then again they're not trying to be expansive, either.

jkp1187 said:
Any idea on how Barbarian technology advancement works? Do these 'sedentary barbs' have to research on their own?

From a programmers standpoint, I'm almost certain from what little I've seen that barb advancement uses the same AI and decision making as any other computer controlled civ. It just does it about half as fast, never uses settler, and attacks anything in the area regardless of its chances.

I think barbarians should "civilize" when they found a city and develop it to a certain point. Then they could appear as a new civilization and you could trade and build relationship to them!

Absolutely. But they should always be hostile, to make the distinction between barb and civ.

It would be fun to play a game where surviving the barbarians would be the focus and not beating other civs. Maybe putting in 2/3 civs on a large map with lots and lots of barbarians. It would be very slow as defense would take most of the resources. Possibly using the worldbuilder or someting to put the civs on one end of the map and letting the barbarians come from the east/north or whatever. :)

A bit lord of the ringish if you get my drift. Anyone tried this?

Yooka said:
Absolutely. But they should always be hostile, to make the distinction between barb and civ.

What if they could be mercenaries? You could hire them to attack any other civ so that you don't have to declare war with that civ. A cilivilization attacked should not know, who hired the barb mercenaries.

Later in the modern era, civilized barbs would act as terrorists, attacking those civs with a different religion.

Mercenaries would be quite something. It should be a mod!

joasoze said:
It would be fun to play a game where surviving the barbarians would be the focus and not beating other civs. Maybe putting in 2/3 civs on a large map with lots and lots of barbarians. It would be very slow as defense would take most of the resources. Possibly using the worldbuilder or someting to put the civs on one end of the map and letting the barbarians come from the east/north or whatever. :)

A bit lord of the ringish if you get my drift. Anyone tried this?

Setup a game on a large or huge map with 2-3 Civs and choose Archipelago/Snaky Continents and Raging Barbarians.

Top Bottom