1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Barbarians dont know how to heal?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Smrgol, Oct 7, 2010.

1. wioneo

wioneo King

They get past galleys now:eek: ? That could be problematic...

2. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

I think, occasionally even Barb units heal. At least I did have that impression in some games. Yet, it is quite rare.

What they do (immortal level) is to attack cities, yet there have to be some of them adjacent to the city.

Honestly, the more I read about the ideas of the developers, the more disgusted I get. Even on immortal level Barbs are nothing more than a nuisance.

3. Doctor Phibes

Doctor Phibes Prince

Straight to triremes on King level. That makes them a little more annoying and timewasting, because you're continually rotating your own triremes back to the dockyard for repairs. And you can't just ignore them when they insist on blocking one-tile sealanes. It makes it worth thinking carefully about which city states to ally with to provide conveniently placed repair depots...

4. Smrgol

Smrgol Chieftain

I needed to do something like that when at war with another nation - I was the otherside of the world bombarding cities to weaken them whilst my troops dragged their sorry asses over, but the cities were fighting back (damned them for learning that).

So my poor ships had a massively long trip home for repairs, I think I had half a dozen at each stage (repairing, traveling, attacking) - talk about expensive to maintain!

5. silentknight111

silentknight111 Warlord

Barbs should be able to attack cities. There's even an achievement to unlock that says have a barbarian ransom one of your cities....

Of course, the Magellan achievement doesn't work right now either, so it could be a bug.

6. brianshapiro

brianshapiro King

I've had barbarians attack cities, even on chieftain level.

I would guess an explanation for barbarians not healing is that 'healing' in the game means recruiting more men to fill the spaces of those that have been killed, and barbarians have no pool of people to recruit from, since they aren't agricultural.

I've exploited barbarians by getting scouts the survivalist promotion, and just camping them out while a barbarian ship fires on them. The scout heals all the damages that were done by the ship by the next turn. The designers seem to have accounted for this, though, and you can only get two promotions this way, after that, you stop getting experience.

7. caglejsc

caglejsc Chieftain

Uhmm... Not fortify until heal. But just plain fortify.

Units don't heal when fortified, I'm pretty sure of it. I had non-barbarian units surround my city and never healed but had a fortify bonus. When you heal you don't get that bonus.

8. Peristarkawan

Peristarkawan Chieftain

Absolutely incorrect. The only difference between Fortify and Fortify Until Healed is that the latter automatically wakes the unit once it's fully healed. What may be confusing you is that some units (e.g. cavalry) don't get fortify bonuses; they just sleep. Also, if you move a unit and then fortify it in the same turn, the fortify bonus will not begin until the next turn.

9. caglejsc

caglejsc Chieftain

Perhaps that is what is confusing me. They weren't cavalry but antiaircraft people.