Barbarians in scenarios

Blasph23

Terraformation Junkie
Is there any way to change or disable/enable barbarians once a .scn file has already been created?
There doesn't seem to be any such option in the scenario parameters so I guess the only thing left is hex editing.
Has anybody done this before?

I meant something else, namely the villages only/roving bands/restless tribes/raging hordes setting. Once selected for a scenario, there is apparently no way to change it afterwards, other than creating a new game and choosing a different option. However, this value has to be hardcoded somewhere.
If set to villages only, the barbarians will never appear, regardless of who has what tech.

EDIT: To quote the website you linked:
Once the scenario file is created the only way to change this setting, without hex editing, is to create a new scenario file

It is this hex editing I am interested in.

Last edited:
Hi Blasph23,

I'm definitely no expert on Hex Editing but I think you can find the information you are looking for on Catfish's website under the SAVED Game File Format page located here. In the Offsets column, #685 is the one that refers to barbarian activity.

I hope this helps.

This is great stuff, thank you, I had no idea somebody has already carried out the extensive work of mapping out individual bytes in save files.

Your timing to ask about hex editing is quite good. I've been going through my hard drive removing things I don't need, and I happened to find a document about Civ II hex editing.

Attachments

• hexedit.zip
    20.1 KB · Views: 191
Thanks Professor, I'm having some fun already.

http://sleague.civfanatics.com/index.php?title=Category:AtomicLook up the New World Order mod. The designers were exceedingly clever as you have the barbarians as the Rogue Nations. Then as long as their last city is not taken,then they spawn "terrorists" in Northern Ireland and Africa and Asia and the Middle East. It's pretty great versus standard barbarians.

Last edited:
Top Bottom