1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Barbarians just humiliated me

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Wolf52, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Wolf52

Wolf52 Chieftain

So, i was playing on Tectonic (60% water coverage) as the Romans on Noble under Augustus. I had built up 4 cities, and was doing pretty well apart from the fact that i had no easy access to iron, and there was no copper on my continent at all (i thought being alone would be good). So the barbarians send a few warriors at me at first, which i fended off with my own warriors. Then, all of a sudden, they start sending multiple axemen along with spearmen and archers! In 500 BC (on normal speed) two of my cities were captured ON THE SAME TURN! I couldnt build anything apart from warriors before it was too late. Good god, this has to be my worst loss ever...

2. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

to 500 BC you usually must already know alphabet, and can trade archery for something to defend your cities ahainst barbs.

3. Wolf52

Wolf52 Chieftain

Not quite, like i said i had the continent to myself, and usually the barbarians arent quite this intense.

4. J-man

J-man Deity

I thought the new patch only sends barbarians when you can build the counter unit?

5. Wolf52

Wolf52 Chieftain

I guess not, because they certainly had a whole bunch of axemen coming my way when all i could produce was warriors. I would have swordsmen and axemen myself in a short time but they got to me too quickly.

6. jimbob27

jimbob27 Emperor

Thats just the barbarian random event. If you build an axeman, a bunch of swordmen will turn up, if you build a spearman, it'll be horse archers... etc etc

Wolf, intense barbarians are one of the set-backs of an isolated start. The more empty space on your continent thats covered in fog, the greater the area for the barbs to appear.

7. Stoney the I

Stoney the I Prince

fogbusting does 2 things for ya here.

stationing the units on a forest hill or jungle hill will make barbs suicide into it, granting it xp.

it will prevent barbs from spawning in the visible area, reducing their numbers.

i often neglect to do it, but with raging barbs it helps if you are isolated a bit.

8. PickledDictator

PickledDictator Warlord

There are times where fogbusting doesn't work though. How many times do I think I have things busted only to see barbs take the long way around and sidestep my units.

I end up having to attack to avoid pillaging and then lose units.

I also find that if you lose a few units, the barbs seem to step it up, almost sensing that your weak and you spend all this time building more units and losing them in this war against the heathens while your "real" rivals expand all around you.

frustrating to say the least.

9. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

Welcome to the Forums PickledDictator. :beer:

10. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

In future games, be sure to have a strategic resource ready or archers ready BEFORE 1500 BC.

11. PickledDictator

PickledDictator Warlord

Thanks mate!!:goodjob:

12. Wolf52

Wolf52 Chieftain

Yeah, believe me, ive learned my lesson. Usually i am not really in dire need for archers early on, this was a first.

13. OnmyojiOmn

OnmyojiOmn Prince

If, on the turn you finish researching BW, there is no copper you can feasibly get your hands on with your next settler, you are in dire need for archers. Don't spam warriors, don't mess with chariots (especially now that barb spearmen often show up before archers or even warriors), certainly do not wait for IW. You should be researching archery or its prereqs on the next turn.

14. CoZe

CoZe Warlord

Always build the wall before 2000 BC. Especially if you're stranded on an island. This makes sure of two things : 1 you'll have a long time of developing/teching without having to worry about defense 2 Somebody else will be having problems when you deny them the wall.

15. pumpkin

pumpkin Chieftain

Surely that is no longer true. I remember it used to be like that in Vanilla but since BTS they will always walk in a straight line past my 'outpost' only one or two tiles away, unless I attack them. They focus on getting inside your borders now.

16. PickledDictator

PickledDictator Warlord

Pumpkin, this is exactly what I was talking about a couple of posts above, nice to see others experiencing the same issues.

I find myself attacking these barbs, which of course means I will end up losing some troops in this process.

It seems if I don't get GW I run into trouble UNLESS I have a source of copper, in which case I just have that city do nothing but pump axemen.

I just never seem to know when is enough military?????

17. pumpkin

pumpkin Chieftain

In relation to the other civs (not barbs), just press F9 and click on 'Power' to see how large your competitors' armies are. You'll need to collect some espionage points before all of them become visible though.

18. Mayor West

Mayor West Chieftain

Sorry, wrong thread!