1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Barbarians

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by WildFire, Sep 19, 2002.

1. WildFire

WildFire amour

What is the best level to have them on? I have them on roaming because i can get elite units early in the game (possibility of a GL) but they become quite a nuisance. With them on sedetenary it is just booooooring:o

2. cracker

cracker Gil Favor's Sidekick

I personally like them to be set as high as possible because it increases my income per turn. The barbarian camps are worth 25 to 50 gold each and if you can get agressive about harvesting them it really pumps up your economy.

The negative side to this is the massive uprising problem that has ever camp go psycho on the same turn. These uprising are triggered at specific timings when the 2nd civ on the planet enters a new age. The uprising horsemen count is 8/16/24 corresponding to roaming/restless/raging.

If you find them a nuisance at roaming then buck up your play skills a bit and you can turn them into a great toy.

3. Hawkster

Hawkster sorcerer

You can convert your units to elite in barb battles but you will not get any GLs - they only happen in battles against other civs (be far too easy otherwise) :)

4. Allemand

Allemand Chief

I generally keep them on restless. Raging requires several more units on your borders when the uprising comes, but even at raging they can be handled if you have pikemen. Would be nice to have more uprisings.

5. Gothmog

Gothmog Dread Enforcer

I always put them on raging. I like the possibility of uprisings and of course the $ and upgrades. Also I think that they offset some of the bonus from starting with a scout.

6. hbdragon88

hbdragon88 haunted by blackness

I recall on a Civ 2 article that you should raise the barbarian level max to ferry out barbarian leaders and to pump up your income high. Of course this is Civ 3 however.

I like Roaming the best; otherwise it can get out of hand.

7. billindenver

billindenver King

But, I think I'm gonna change that to Raging my next game.

I like that strategy of using them for promotions! Even though the odds are slim of promotion, at least that gives me a slight chance when I want to be at peace. I read a post somewhere that suggested leaving the camps in place and posting units around it. I'd never considered that before, but I think that's a great idea.

8. Hades

Hades is a liar and a cheat

I always turn it off. They don't seem to attack anyone else but me.

9. Tiamat

Tiamat Warlord

Hades,

IIRC, turning barbarians off also eliminates goody huts. This would mean no possibility of getting free units/techs/settlers/gold when you are exploring.

10. Hades

that's right, that's why I don't even explorer, I buy maps!! besides, all the huts gotten me were barbarians the last time I played with it on.

11. hbdragon88

hbdragon88 haunted by blackness

Yeah, those are a pain. Even worse, I most commonly use workers to explore huts - dumb dumb dumb! I think that after the ancient ages you won't get any free techs - because after advancing out of the Medeival ages, I only got barbarians out of goody huts. So much for luck.

12. Pillager

Pillager League of Empire Loyalist

No, you can't get techs. after the Ancient Age. I got my first ever settler the other day. I couldn't believe it. I think there's a rule that there has to be no settler under prod. and none built.

I play sedentary. I like to start near the AI, and declare war quickly. As a result, I do not want barbs. spawning all over the shop, screwing up my war strategy.

13. Gothmog

Gothmog Dread Enforcer

Does anyone know if goody huts are affected by difficulty level? When I first got civ3 I played a couple of games at monarch (of course I thought "what up with all this corruption?" and "omygod WW is a pain") and I remember getting like four techs and a settler. Then I played on emporer and got less. Now I play diety and rarely get anything good.

Also I seem to remember that one of the civ characteristics (expansionist?) is supposed to get better goody hut bonuses. So if you are playing with that characteristic and you turn off barbarians you are throwing out an advantage.

14. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

I always have 'em on Raging. And I'm not entirely sure I like the fact that they don't capture cities anymore - one of my sweeter moments in Civ2 was when I landed on a new continent, and the first settlement my intrepid explorers (a Crusader unit, actually) stumble on is Red London!

I'm not entirely happy with the Massive Uprising tho' - I find myself moving Spearmen out of cities threatened by a MU, let the barbs empty my central bank (which's for some reason simultaneously located in every little border town - I blame Einstein and warped space-time), and move the Spearmen back once the barbs are gone. There should be a bit more incentive to keep the MUs away - as it's now I won't bother unless it turns up right next to a major army.

15. Allemand

Allemand Chief

Expansionist civs never trigger barbarians in the huts, but they can get the deserted result. After they enter the 2nd age, expansionist civs can get gold or an occasional unit, but no tech and no settlers. The other good thing about expansionist is they can get more settlers from the huts (usually only one, but sometimes two or three).

The barbarians are a nice feature in the game, because it forces you to build units to defend your cities even in peacetime. I used to dread the massive uprisings but now I plan ahead and make sure I have enough units in my border cities to stop them. Sometimes have to make some adjustments and leave the core cities undefended, but that adds to the fun. I view it as just another project I have to manage.

16. Barker

Barker BoomStick

I always play with raging for all the reasons already mentioned, and 1 more besides.

If I have difficulty at the beginning of a new era with massive uprisings, then the AI will also have the same problems. Multiply this by the number of civs that you are up against, and this gives the player a distinct advantage.......since we will plan for the uprisings and, hence, be more prepared to fight off the onslaught.

I also like growing barbarian farms. If I can get a good sized desert area that I can keep the AI away from, I'll grow my own barbarians. There is no way to domesticate them, but they do serve as great target practice or my troops.

17. Hades

AI's have the advantage of knowing where the barbarian camps are so they would cash in the 25 gold before the uprising occures. As for Humans, all we see is suddenly find 12 warriors at the border marching to our cities.

Also, at higher levels, there is no attack advantage against the barbarians, so fighting their camps would have the same number of casulties as fighting AI's so why would I want waste my units for 25 gold.

18. Barker

Barker BoomStick

QUOTE]AI's have the advantage of knowing where the barbarian camps are so they would cash in the 25 gold before the uprising occures. As for Humans, all we see is suddenly find 12 warriors at the border marching to our cities[/QUOTE]

You can take advantage of the AI knowledge of camps by trading world maps every once in a while.

The minimal number of barbarian induced deaths wil be far outweighed by a bugeoning treasury.

Barbarian farming is a very lucrative business. It can make a huge difference by paying for a much larger military force. I have been able to play games where I am defecit spending on research, but am able to keep my treasury steady, or even growing with barbarian loot.

19. Evincar

Evincar Iron works is a legend!!

Well, since I know when massive uprising take place, they are usually no longer a problem to me...except the fact that the RNG :love: teasing me once in a while

20. Hades

This is the very reason of my turning off barbarians.