1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Barbarians

Discussion in 'Civ4 Strategy Articles' started by oyzar, Jun 20, 2009.

1. oyzar

oyzar Have quit civ/forums

Here is some information on barbarians. Noone have seen fit to make it into an article yet which is a shame, as such I figured I might as well paste in the relevant info here(things in italics i've added):

A lot is gotten from http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=299483 this thread.
    On barb visbility:
    Barb animals don't enter resources unless to attack an unit already there.

2. oyzar

Reserved just in case I find more to put in (and also if I or someone else(dan) decides to reorganize this into something a bit more structured).

3. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Would you want to add information about free wins against barbs? At Prince and lower difficulties, you get at least 1 "barb free win". At Prince it's 1, and +1 for every difficulty level you go below that.

Your free wins counter will decrease every time you win a battle vs. a barbarian (including animals) until it reaches 0, at which point you have no barb free wins left and barb combat will be as usual.

When you still have barb free wins left, you are not quite guaranteed to win any battles with barbs but very nearly! For every combat round, the barb's odds will be reduced to 10% if not already lower than 10% (consequently your odds in each combat round cannot be lower than 90%). This means that even if the barbarian is very strong compared to your unit, it will be very unlikely to kill your unit, especially if your unit is uninjured.

Note that when you have barb free wins left, the combat odds shown to you by the game are false. Typically you will have more than 95% odds against any barbarian in any situation when you still have barb free wins left.

4. oyzar

This doesn't include combat against barbs at all, but adding it is a good idea. Not many know about the free +25% bonus you get when defending a city against barbs on all levels for example. There is also an inherit bonus against barbs on a lot of levels and another bonus against animals on almost all levels. I'll have to check how much bonuses you get at different levels as I don't have it of the top of my head.

5. mfie

mfie Chieftain

Are there other rules when you select 'raging barbarians', because ones i played on deity with raging barbarians and they came in about turn 15, when i had just 2 warriors and they could go to my city easelly, 50 turns later my city culture was 100+ and i still ahd none improvements and the barb archers and warriors could cross trough the culture border of my city

6. oyzar

It is mentioned above that:

They will always enter borders if they can pillage within 4 turns or attack cities within 3 turns, that is pretty much always the case.

7. Nissin

Nissin Chieftain

Great stuff in there.