Barbarians

Unless you place a barb directly on top of a city with the tuner... then they actually capture it. The banner of a barb city looks very cool due to their black/red color scheme. :D

Barbs are anarcho-syndicalists like the rebels in Paradox games? Cool! :D

Oh man, I am totally going to explore / test this. I've missed Barb cities, and cities with no diplomatic interaction / perpetual war sounds enough like an unhappy city in revolt to get my interest.

I think strong barbs is a good idea. This way early expansion would be put in check & civs left alone won't expand like mad. I would actually prefer if groups of 3-4 barb units organize & try to attack your city in attempt to loot it instead of the rule of just going on attacking spree as soon as spawned.

I like this argument about civs left alone. Now I really want to try the new version.

Would it be possible for a mechanic to be implemented where if a barbarian camp wasn't destroyed within x turns than it would turn into a city or that they would spawn a setteler to form a city. I miss barb cities as well and like the ability to fight barbarians even when not trying to go to war with other civs. Keeps things interesting.

I'd have to see this in action but my gut instinct is that this would just increase frustration and make honor opener more or less mandatory unless you build a lot of early units (consider when you're healing up for 1-2 turns to finish off a barb, and a new barb spawns AND the old one has healed = dead unit for you).

I think the Honor opener is already highly recommended, if not mandatory, in most situations. There are so many barbs that the culture rain lasts profitably for a long time. In fact, I was wondering if the Honor opener should be weakened a little, given how much of a no-brainer taking it seems to be now.

Barbs are anarcho-syndicalists like the rebels in Paradox games? Cool! :D

More like the peasants in Monty Python & the Holy Grail.

I think the Honor opener is already highly recommended, if not mandatory, in most situations. There are so many barbs that the culture rain lasts profitably for a long time. In fact, I was wondering if the Honor opener should be weakened a little, given how much of a no-brainer taking it seems to be now.

Good point. Either culture bonus from killing could be nerfed or simply changed to something else. I would prefer changing it completely since culture from barbs slightly overlaps Aztec UA & nerfing it might make it too weak/boring.

Good point. Either culture bonus from killing could be nerfed or simply changed to something else. I would prefer changing it completely since culture from barbs slightly overlaps Aztec UA & nerfing it might make it too weak/boring.

Very much agree.

Getting the honor opener is obvious for conquerors, but I suspect that will always be the case regardless of what bonuses we put there. Only 32% of non-conquerors get the policy.

I think the Honor opener is already highly recommended, if not mandatory, in most situations. There are so many barbs that the culture rain lasts profitably for a long time. In fact, I was wondering if the Honor opener should be weakened a little, given how much of a no-brainer taking it seems to be now.[/I].

I don't think I've taken the honor opener since I switched to VEM. I start with tradition/liberty about 65/35 or so, and I've never thought honor was mandatory. In order for the honor opener to break even with tradition you need to kill a barb every two turns or so. I've just never seen it as that useful but now I'm tempted to try it out just to see what happens.

These are the current values:

Tradition

• 5:c5culture: per turn.
  • Speeds capital border expansion.
Honor

• 30:c5culture: per (early) barbarian kill.
  • Does not affect border expansion.
  • +25% :c5strength: vs barbarians.
  • Reveals barbarian camps as they spawn.

I don't think I've taken the honor opener since I switched to VEM. I start with tradition/liberty about 65/35 or so, and I've never thought honor was mandatory. In order for the honor opener to break even with tradition you need to kill a barb every two turns or so. I've just never seen it as that useful but now I'm tempted to try it out just to see what happens.

I had only taken it with the Aztecs unless playing for Conquest, but tried it after Thal mentioned it recently. (Thal's post above indicates one barb every 6 turns matches Tradition.) Keep in mind that it keeps giving, albeit less meaningfully, for the entire game. (One ship can rack up a lot of culture points.) But I would be very curious to know what you think, one you try it and then try to exploit it.

I was just thinking the 30:c5culture: was probably too much for each barb kill in my current game. Maybe 20:c5culture:? Something potentially cool but probably technically infeasible would be 30:c5culture: for the first Barb kill after taking the policy, 29:c5culture: for the next, then 28:c5culture:, etc. down to 10:c5culture: or so.

I don't know what Thal meant by "30:c5culture: per (early) barbarian kill," but it seems to me that the importance of culture coming from killing Barbs would naturally diminish to negligible as SP costs rise and Culture modifiers take over.

I was also wondering, how is Monty's UA calibrated in terms of Culture per kill? I know it works differently from the Honor opener in that it helps low-Culture cities expand their borders.

It hasn't changed since the poll was taken, so even if everyone should take it, most are not. Maybe it's an informational problem? The first two trees specifically state their effect. I could change:

"and each barbarian killed gives :c5culture: Culture to the empire."
to
"and each barbarian killed gives :c5culture: Culture equal to its :c5strength: Strength times 5."

30:c5culture: = 5 * 6:c5strength: barb warrior

Monty is 3*strength for all units.

I'm suggesting that at its present level just about everyone should take it... which you would probably agree is too much.

If everyone *should* take it but a large majority (70%) of people not perusing conquest ignore it, that implies that it's overpowered while appearing strongly underpowered. I'm not sure what to do about that though.

Top Bottom