Barbarians

an old man

Chieftain
I have completed about 10 games now and in every one once I defeated all the barbarian strongholds they did not reappear. But the game I began a couple of days ago is different. I am now at 150AD and the barbarians keep re-spawning. Every time I wipe out one batch, a few turns later another spawns. Will this continue now for the rest of this game? Is there any way to stop them from re-spawning? And is this ability to perpetually re-spawn a random event that just occurs at random in some games? If so, I will quit this game and begin another one as constantly having to fight them detracts from my enjoyment of the game.

Thank you for your help!

Barbarian outposts can spawn at any time in the game and can only spawn in tiles that are not visible to any civilization or city-state. The best way to prevent them from spawning then is to scout and expand.

if you dont like barbarians you can disable them in the advanced customization menu while creating a new game?

Barbarian outposts can spawn at any time in the game and can only spawn in tiles that are not visible to any civilization or city-state. The best way to prevent them from spawning then is to scout and expand.
Thank you Zaarin. I can definitely use that info to help them spawn closer to the city states where they will do the eliminating for me.

What he says is true, after a while, even in no man's lands, barbarians tend to not respawn constantly. But it may be because it's still a little early in your recent game, after all 150 AD is not yet the time of great invasions, but i'm not sure, since when i get barbarians on, when i kill a camp it's very rare that another spawns in the same average location no matter how early it is.

I guess it's another grievance for overrandomization. :rolleyes:

What he says is true, after a while, even in no man's lands, barbarians tend to not respawn constantly. But it may be because it's still a little early in your recent game, after all 150 AD is not yet the time of great invasions, but i'm not sure, since when i get barbarians on, when i kill a camp it's very rare that another spawns in the same average location no matter how early it is.

I guess it's another grievance for overrandomization. :rolleyes:

Since they only spawn where nobody has visibility, once everyone has researched cartography I know I constantly find AI galleys patrolling the wilderness, and I assume they tend to prevent that barbarian spawn later on. It will also depend a lot on the map - if it's an island heavy map, barbarians often stick around until later just because there's more places to hide.

Since they only spawn where nobody has visibility, once everyone has researched cartography I know I constantly find AI galleys patrolling the wilderness, and I assume they tend to prevent that barbarian spawn later on. It will also depend a lot on the map - if it's an island heavy map, barbarians often stick around until later just because there's more places to hide.

It also makes for a long of fun when there's a decent-sized landmass that remains uncolonized until late in the game. You show up and there are just entire armies of barbs roaming around.

Isn't there an issue with clans mode and barbarians stop spawning? When you get max number of city states they just stop? I can not find this on forum... so propably I am wrong :)

there are rules where a camp can spawn , minimum distances to other camps and maximum number of active camps depending on map size for example

there are rules where a camp can spawn , minimum distances to other camps and maximum number of active camps depending on map size for example

This, there's a max number of active camps, and sometimes what happens is they spawn in remote places away from any City States (or around City States too weak to defeat them) so what tends to happen is there's less Camps spawning near you.

It also makes for a long of fun when there's a decent-sized landmass that remains uncolonized until late in the game. You show up and there are just entire armies of barbs roaming around.

One of the reasons I find the Terra map the best one; you get a second “Age of Exploration/Expansion” to give you something to do in the later ages, and more barbarians to deal with since they are far more interesting and challenging to fight than the AI

Isn't there an issue with clans mode and barbarians stop spawning? When you get max number of city states they just stop? I can not find this on forum... so propably I am wrong :)

Damn this DOES sound familiar I think you are correct

Top Bottom