Barbarossa: The War in the East 1941-1945

What do you think of this Scenario?

• Total voters
Gunner said:
Wow, this scenario is HUGE. I can't begin to realize how long it took you guys to make this. I'm kinda overwhelmed by it all.

You must think its a mediocre scenario,
since you rated it OK.

Rocoteh

Sarevok: 1)*Im just waiting for stat suggestions...*

This reguires a little pit of playtesting and thinking. I'll get back with this.

Sarevok: 2)*The scenario should not go that far. AT guns were in regular divisions as well as Artillery units. AA guns are represented because we do not need infantry units with air-defence and they were essential.*

I understand, but this playes against strategy. In my mind the scenario gets better if there is more to thinking about as you can specialiaziced your army (Most people don't think like this I know).

Sarevok: 3)*Tell that to the graphic maker, not me*

It could be fixed by moving them with the halftrack or copying the halftracks "RUN" animation over the 88m "RUN" animation. Then it would look like it was moved in a halftrack. The same animation-replace can be done with a trucks "RUN" animation. The best "RUN" animation for this I think would be the unit called "Artillery towed by truck" (The artillery looks somewhat like 88mm I think.) I don't remember who did the animation, but maybe I or someone could upload the animation here..?

Sarevok: 6)*Weaking the already stupid AI is not what I have in mind.*

??? Erh.. I ment now the AI can be tricked to move it's tanks inside your territory to capture workers and then you bomb the tanks and kill them. If workers costed more this tactic would lose some of it's superiority.

Sarevok: 7)*the main effort was to the war. Besides the real strength of production is in the terrain, not the improvements.*

But then cutting forest or clearing swamps should take a lot more time. Because I got the problem that I could clear the terrain to grassland but not build anything improvements except roads on it... :(

Sarevok: 8)*50 shields is ridiculous, the soviets will have 800 infantry by 1942. The Guards division on the other hand may be changed.*

Im sorry for my suggestion, but how better implement the "every second man only has a rifle every second has a clip. If the guy with the difle dies take his rifle and then you have a rifle"-strategy??? Cheap, but poorly equipped infantry was Russians salvation. Not to mention that this way the Russians had a very good cost effectiveness (even as the Russian rifles were inaccurate already at 100m !!) Talk about poor quality!!!
And this could bring game balance.. now the Russians are having difficulty surviving to 1943.. And when the Russians have survived the innitial German and allies assault they can upgrade the masses of infantry they have as they no more need masses of poor quality cost-effective infantry.

Sarevok: 9)*coordinates...*

I thinked you left that peninsula deliberatly for Hanko but just forgot to include the units (and fortress?). X31 Y43 (in the scenario's map, but then Hanko is too close to Turku.. It should be closer to Helsinki.. In my version of Finland Hanko is placed quite good. I maybe have too much agriculture/mines and units in my map, but othervice the map isen't bad.. :) If you like it I could send you version1.1 with the new map of Finland :) )

Sarevok: 12-15)*you said put swamp, i put swamp. I only do what I am told to for instructions unless I know they are wrong. Do not give me wrong information or I will simply ignore it.*

Wow.. Erh, sorry. Diden't mean to make it sound that personal..

Sarevok: 17)*Thats for the bad luck of a Finnish player. That is what the Finnish army fought with, and that is what they have in the scenairo.*

...I thinked it only ment something was wrong in the scenario. Well thank God everyone has a Map Editor and can make the changes they think are more historical realistic. Forexample unit stats. Not to mention without the Map Editor I coulden't even play as Finland. The smaller countries could be made playable in the default scenario version 1.2 ?

Sarevok: 18)*and...?*

In short more mines. Almost as good as Helsinki.

Sarevok: 21)*Romania was under the fascists, Italy was Fascist, Hungary would later become Fascist...*

Good point :) Well Finland was a republic. Only difference really was we had had elections and Would get elections later, but at wartime ofcourse no new elections would come. Im only asking the name of the government be changed not the stats. We were a republic. We should be called a republic. :goodjob:
The changing in government of Hungaria could be made as a possibility in the game for a Hungarian player and even the AI would change the government at a specific time if a government specific wonder would become available at that time and the flavor/characteristics of the wonder would be perfect for the Hungarian AI.

Sarevok: 24)*This is WWII, not world history. These traits are what they are at the time.*

On this one I have to strongly disagree.

Sarevok: 26)*Adding new units just for 1 single purpouse in 1 city is a waste of memory. Graphics take up space, and this file cannot be too big.*

?? Why not just use the normal battleship animation every civ3 has ??
Or the 88mm-AA unit renaming it Coastal Gun. And making the stats ? Would look great and woulden't take anymore space ?

Sarevok: 28)*Not every tech has to do something. Not all of them do in Civ3 yetthey are there.*

But they are demanded for era advancement. This just has no point in it !?

Playtest-reports:

Please send in playtest-reports.
Short reports or long reports, they are all of great value!

One type of reports that are interesting:

"Checking Military Advisor turn 20 showed that my forces
were composed of................"

Rocoteh

I'd give you a reply but I can't download the art file...I keep getting timed out. I can download the .biq file though......

Ever since I downloaded this, whenever I enter the editor a bunch of messages come up saying that it can't find the terrain folders.......then, on the maps of everything, are a bunch of black spots, or blue spots.....
Other than that, great job! :goodjob:

The Omega said:
Ever since I downloaded this, whenever I enter the editor a bunch of messages come up saying that it can't find the terrain folders.......then, on the maps of everything, are a bunch of black spots, or blue spots.....
Other than that, great job! :goodjob:
Did you install the game correctly...?

El Justo said:
i only played a few turns of this scenario but it is excellent. nice map, nive OoB stuff and nice unit diversity.

good job fellas

Thank you!

Rocoteh

A short playtest report:

Played as the Germans, difficulty: Deity, currently doing turn 3.

I managed to take Bialystok, Slonim, Lyov and Brest-Litowsk in the first turn and Vilna and Grodno in the second.The resistance was a bit harder because of the guard units (using the air force is now an even better idea, if it comes to taking cities).Despite, very low own losses.The counterattack was rather weak (SU only conquered some of the Romanian cities) and -because of the destroyed planes in the conquered cities, I guess- the air attack, too.
Nevertheless the new mobile SPAA units are a great addition to the arsenal - I experienced this in the next turn, when the bombardments increase (obviously they brought the rest of their planes near the front)

Playing as Russia (since most everyone else likes to play the Germans ;) ). Monarch level and AI on agressive.

Soviet T-1. I sell off all the improvements in the border cities and draft a ton of troops there along with drafting in a few other spots to get troops headed in the right directions. I notice that no cav and no artillery can be built as the Soviet. Need to take a look at that. My war plan is to slowly withdraw in the middle and kill panzer units any chance I get against the Germans and to concentrate strong forces against the Finns and Rumanians. If I can take Finland out, that will help free up considerable troops and safe guard Leningrad.

German attacks and only Bialystok falls on the first turn. The Germans take moderate casualties along with the Russians, but the German has exposed himself rather badly in some places and with only Bialystok falling on the first turn, most of my airforce survives.

T2 Soviets take advantage of the opportunities and destroy a total of 9 panzer divisions, GD, 3 Tank destroyers, Totenkof and another Panzergrenider unit. Air units are withdrawn to Leningrad, Kiev, and Odessa while reserves move up. Army group North in particular suffers heavy losses along with the Rumanian army.

T3 The Axis powers Burn Grodno (evacuated), capture Slonim and burn Kiliya. They loose another 2 panzer divisions and some other mobile forces doing it. The Russians suffer moderate losses. The Finns appear to pull back in the north.

I have saved the game at this point and hope to resume it at some point in the near future, but the Germans are in serious trouble with most of their panzer forces destroyed. I will penitrate into Rumania this turn and will also test the Finnish defenses as well to a limited degree.

Other comments:

Workers only seem to be able to build roads. I suggest they get their usual abilites (not sure if they do later) as with all the bombardment, it will cause damage that really can't be fixed among the improvements.

Some of the upgrades can probably be tweaked a bit. For instance, to upgrade an I-16 fighter, the cost is something like 1800 gold. To upgrade some of the other stuff is much cheaper.

Pfeffersack and Klyden,

Thank you for the very interesting playtest-reports.

As I see it playtest-reports are the most important
aspects for a scenario to develope.

Rocoteh

:wow: 1800 gold?

My school starts tommorow, so my time is finished or at least severely limited. I ask that someone do some civilopedia entries because they are very time consuming. I hope people understand that I will not be able to update the scenario right away, but that it can be done (hopefully). Be sure just to make extremely clear requests and it will save me time. Also remember that rude/demanding requests will be ignored. Also, be sure what you request is reasonable (dont ask me to add 20 types of aircraft into the game) and historically accurate. I will not, and I repeat will not hear anything about changing the OOB because I trust Rocoteh and I trust the OOB is as accurate as possible. Thank you, and I hope you understand. :)

- Sarevok

I downloaded today, half way through first turn with USSR (had to go out to pub so didn't finish it). It looks nice :goodjob: Playing on SID, but if that proves tooo hard I'll go down a level or so. I liek putting it on hard level cuz seems to make AI really go at you.

I decided to playtest as Romania. In doing this, I made two slight changes: I gave myself control of the Germans and Italians stationed here (yes, I know how inaccurate that is) and I upped my infantry's attack by one to 8. The reasoning for the former was I wanted to put the southern front under my command (I'm playing as an Axis commander, not a Romanian one)l the reasoning for the latter was Romanian troops were sub par to the Germans, but in equal numbers no worse than the Soviets.

I'm playing on deity.

Turn one: I have my German infantry break the line in front if Kishnev, saving my artillery. After much bombardment, and moderately heavy losses (two Calvary divisions and the 1st Armored Div), I take the city with the 8th Calvary. I use my Italian and Romanian foot divisions to knock out the 30th Mt Rifle Div 9th Army (it took both) and move those two Italian motorized divisions and the infantry in Galatz in to take Kiliya next turn. Move Germans on to roads.

Turn two: Moderate Soviet air bombardment. Take Kiliya. Use other forces to knock out the rest of the front-line Soviets. Germany is doing well.

Turn six: Odessa falls after a two-turn fight. I've started building more AA to deal with the Soviet Air Force

Turn eight: Kherson is mine. Little struggle. Germany is doing excellent up north. They have Velikiye Luki and Riga in the north east, Minsk, Smolenskand Gomel in the centre. Kosice fell to the Soviets, the Germans took it and have moved to the city just west of Kiev.

Turn fifteen: I took Zaporozh'ye two turns ago and Krasnoperekopsk this turn. My forces are way too thin, but the Soviets don't seam to be focusing much on me. Sevastopol and Kerch are my goals before I stop to regroup, build defenses, press on the attack. The Soviet Air Force isn't much of a bother at this point.

Have to stop for now. The Southern front here seams well balanced though.

ComradeDavo said:
I downloaded today, half way through first turn with USSR (had to go out to pub so didn't finish it). It looks nice :goodjob: Playing on SID, but if that proves tooo hard I'll go down a level or so. I liek putting it on hard level cuz seems to make AI really go at you.

ComradeDavo,

Thank you.
I am glad to hear that you like the scenario.

Rocoteh

I havent really gotten much of anything done on my "Play by Email" game, because of school starting. I have, however, started up a game vs the AI playing as the Soviets on Sid. The problem is that it seams a little too easy, even on Sid. I'm on my third turn and the Germans have only captured two cities, one of which I've retaken. I'm not sure why it's not very had, even on Sid, maybe I just need to wait a few turns. We'll see.

Top Bottom