Barbarossa: The War in the East 1941-1945

What do you think of this Scenario?

• Total voters

Sarevok

Civ3 Scenario Creator
Barbarossa 1.3 C3C by Sarevok and Rocoteh

Story:

On June 22nd 1941, without warning 150 German divisions aided by its allies crossed the borders of the Soviet Union with a total of 4 million soldiers in the largest land invasion in history for Operation Barbarossa. The Soviet Union, with nearly 5 million troops was caught completely by suprise and the Germans would take over 3 million prisoners before the end of 1941.

What ensued for the next 4 years was called "A Medieval war of conquest with 20th century technology." Hitler sought nothing less than the complete elimination of the Soviet Union and its people for his dreams of living space for the German people. This war pitted the largest armies ever seen in history against eachother, and no less than 40 million people were killed in this war. It was won as much on the factory floor than on the battlefields, where Soviet production proved decisive while the Germans were hampered by inefficiencies that ultimately ruined the Wehrmacht.

Who will win in this great conflict? Hitler's Germany or the Stalinist Russia?

Technical Information:

This scenario is for C3C, and is on a 120X165 map. Because of the number of cities on this map and its size, initial loading time is VERY small. On my computer (256 MB RAM, 0.7 Mgz) the initial load time is less than 2 minutes. With the exception of the first turn (which took 8 minutes), load time between turns is also very small. Though the scenario was certainly not built for speed, it ended up like that and I am happy for that fact.

Scenario Information:

There are only 2 playable civilizations, Germany and the Soviet Union.

Minimap:

Screenshots:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=2100017&postcount=33

The scenario is set at Division Level so that each unit is equivalent to 1 division though some units are exceptions to that rule (Tank Destroyer Battalions, Tank Brigades, etc.). Despite that, the number of units each side will command is significant.

The balance of this scenario is that at the Start the Germans have a large advantage, but this begins to wane over time as the Soviets mobilize their forces. Eventually the German advantage is destroyed if the war lasts too long. If a German player does not win the game by the 3rd age in the Tech tree, they will see their power considerably weaken and they will be defeated.

This scenario is not a "All army" scenario like The Great War was. That means that in this scenario while mass arms production is good, there are many improvements and special wonders that can be made in order to boost your advantage. Wonders such as "The Great Patriotic War" which give the Soviets a significant production addition or "Cossack Recruitment" for the Germans to recieve Cossacks every few turns are added to gove the scenario more flavor and make it more than just another "War" scenario.

NOTE: Because of the lack of importance of naval forces on the Eastern Front and the fact that they were almost never used, there are no naval units in this scenario.

Creation:

I had to put a note about this, but one of the more amazing things is how long this scenario actually took to create. Though the idea had been in my head for a few months, the actual creation of this scenario started on July 28th. I finished the city placement and through who knows how many PM's with Rocoteh all of the unit stats and additional features in just 4 days. I then gave him the file to do the Unit placement and the Order of Battle while I did the Civilopedia. He gave me the file with that done in the first week of August when I started playtesting the scenario to check for bugs. I personally believe this is some sort of record time, as no scenario of such detail has been created in so short a time.

Credits:

Creators: Sarevok and Rocoteh

Map Creator: Colwyn
Scenario Creators: Sarevok and Rocoteh

Unit Statistics: Sarevok and Rocoteh
Order of Battle: Rocoteh
Unit Placement: Rocoteh
Unit AI: Rocoteh
Rule changes: Sarevok
Civilopedia: Sarevok
BETA Testers: Sarevok

Terrain Graphics: Snoopy
Tech Graphics: Rufus T. Firefly, Ukas
City Graphics: embryodead
Unit Graphics: Ripptide, Wyrmshadow, Akula, Recon1591, W.i.n.t.e.r, Nonnob3, Hunter, aaglo
Leaderhead Graphics: Paasky

Special Thanks:

Rocoteh: For "All of the above". Once again, his genius and abilities in our cooperation have created a great scenario. I beleive this scenario outshines all others either of us have created, and without our duel cooperation such a scenario never would have been possible.

The "Storm over Europe" Team: For creating not only a great scenario, but for creating such a mountain of unit graphics for WWII. Without their creation, This scenario would not nearly have been filled with so many excellent graphics as it is.

Colwyn: I "Borrowed" this map from him off of his scenario at CDG. Without me stumbling on this map and him creating it, I would still be looking for a map for this scenario.

And to all the members of CivFanatics, and all other sites and forums dedicated to Civ3.

The Files:

Im sure youre tired of reading all of that, so here are the files:

This is the "Art&Text" file. Inside this download is a large folder. Without doing anything to the contents inside it, you place the folder in your Scenario folder in the Conquests section of your Civ3 directory. The download is 39.7 MB's

BRB 1.2 Art& Text:
http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads/civ3/scenarios/BRB_1.2_Art&Text.zip

This is the Scenario file, place this in your scenario folder as well. Once both of these are done you can play the scenario without errors. The download is 88.7 KB

NOTE: Load the Art&Text file before you load this file, otherwise the scenario will not work.

BRB 1.0 Downloaded 427 times
BRB 1.1 Downloaded 2670 times
BRB 1.2 Downloaded 1348 times
BRB 1.2.1 Downloaded 128 times

BRB 1.3:

Attachments

• BRB 1.3.zip
    103.2 KB · Views: 9,050
I will say this right now before other people post here, but this scenario is "The Pride" of myself and Rocoteh's creations. Believe me when I say this, TGW is nothing compared to this scenario.

Sarevok,

I can only agree.
This scenario is much better than TGW.

In fact with the limits of the game-engine its
hard to push realism further!

Rocoteh

I hope you enjoy it, it is in my opinion that this scenario is of top quality, and the number of features in it are enormous

Hey Rocoteh, Look! this hasnt been released for an hour yet and we already have a negative voter!

Too bad negative voter named Vostos, thanks to the forum upgrade we can now have public polls and now all can see who voted what. Good job at being subtle! :rolleyes:

Grohan said:
I've been looking for Operation Barbarossa scenario and finally here is one.
This Scenario looks GREAT. :goodjob:
I'll surely try this out when I complete my current game.

Edit: Second to download ;)

Grohan,

Thank you. I hope you will like the scenario.

Sarevok,

I note that Vostos registered today....
Same procedure as earlier.

Rocoteh

Rocoteh said:
Grohan,

Thank you. I hope you will like the scenario.

Sarevok,

I note that Vostos registered today....
Same procedure as earlier.

Rocoteh
I just PMed Chieftess.

Grohan said:
I just found small mistake.
Tampera in Finland is Tampere not Tampera.:)
Wow... theres already a negative voter and theres also already a error found. Thank you Grohan. Ill get this right now.

A comment on early German strategy:

Its very important to use all your forces (including air) to inflict
heavy losses on the Soviet Tank and Motor Rifle Divisions early
in the scenario.

This will have great impact further on........

Rocoteh

Rocoteh said:
A comment on early German strategy:

Its very important to use all your forces (including air) to inflict
heavy losses on the Soviet Tank and Motor Rifle Divisions early
in the scenario.

This will have great impact further on........

Rocoteh
Indeed, The Soviet player cant build any more Motorized Rifle units or tank Divisions. However, the Tank Corps and Mechanized Corps the Soviets get later more than make up for that. The goal of a German player is to knowck out as many units as they can because if the Soviets can rally... you are quite dead.

T-Money said:
Great job.

Thank you!

Planning on how to build your forces is really crucial
in Barbarossa. Germany starts with some 110 Infantry Divisions.
The Infantry is needed to hold ground and building Panzers
only will not pay off.
Seeking to create a balanced build-policy is a great challenge.

Rocoteh

Why did you use a Imperial German flag? And also, I've started playing, its Wonderful! and fast too! the art for terrain and the units is incredible, thank you for this wonderful scenario.

So, that was the "great blow" you were talking about, Sarevok.
It looks incredibly good. :goodjob: (And the name of the creators are the best publicity for this scenario.) I am sure it will have a lot of historic "depths" and realism.

Btw, it seems you found a way to work on a WW2 scenario and still present something new. :) And you even accomodated small comps users. ;)
I am going to download it right away, even if I don't have much time these days to play.

CellKu

CellKu said:
So, that was the "great blow" you were talking about, Sarevok.
It looks incredibly good. :goodjob: (And the name of the creators are the best publicity for this scenario.) I am sure it will have a lot of historic "depths" and realism.

Btw, it seems you found a way to work on a WW2 scenario and still present something new. :) And you even accomodated small comps users. ;)
I am going to download it right away, even if I don't have much time these days to play.

CellKu
Note what I said, I said id make a great blow, I leave it tou you to figure out which of my existing scenarios it will fall on. Well this scenario existed, but wasnt known ;)

I hope you get a chance to play it CellKu, its very different from TGW. It also shows the kind of Tech tree I have in mind for TGW.

Why did you use a Imperial German flag? And also, I've started playing, its Wonderful! and fast too! the art for terrain and the units is incredible, thank you for this wonderful scenario.

Im glad that you are enjoying it, I did too when I played it (Im so glad I can say that, for once I can actually play one of my scenarios :D ).

Concerning the German Flag... That was intentional. I dont want to use a Nazi flag as I personally find it offensive on several levels. Its also for the sake of others that do not wish to have that flag in their experience. Id rather players felt like they were playing as Germany rather than Nazi Germany, and that is how I think. Not having that flag is just one way of making sure I have that experience as otherwise I would not feel good about playing as Germany. I hope you understand :)

Wow! :goodjob: I had a first brief look. It's terrific!
You even named the units!! What a job! :) (That is becoming a new standard - makes it even harder for other scenario designers to reach your level!)
I like the terrain graphics (I think they are better than the ones you use TGW). :)

Why do you use the ancient worker graphics? The modern worker or Rufus' engineer would be better IMHO.
Btw, there is a spelling in the title of the German leader. It's "Fuehrer" not "Furher".

The map (I know you didn't make it, but perhaps you can adjust it a bit) has some minor inaccuracies: There are no mountains in northern Germany and Poland.

CellKu

CellKu said:
Wow! :goodjob: I had a first brief look. It's terrific!
You even named the units!! What a job! :) (That is becoming a new standard - makes it even harder for other scenario designers to reach your level!)
I like the terrain graphics (I think they are better than the ones you use TGW). :)

Why do you use the ancient worker graphics? The modern worker or Rufus' engineer would be better IMHO.
Btw, there is a spelling in the title of the German leader. It's "Fuehrer" not "Furher".

The map (I know you didn't make it, but perhaps you can adjust it a bit) has some minor inaccuracies: There are no mountains in northern Germany and Poland.

CellKu
yeah that map was a pain when I put the cities on the map.

Sarevok this looks kool so far but was I looking at the biq and a few of the tanks didn't have the off or def boxes checked. and stupid me forgot to write them down for u. So u might want to check that ok.

Top Bottom