1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Barbs are Annoying

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Argoth, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Argoth

Argoth Chieftain

Am I the only one who finds the non-stop stream of barbs that usually end up around your cities really annoying? You keep killing barbs but they keep coming. Does this mean there is a barb city (or barb cities)?

2. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

It means you need to post sentries around your land. If there is no blackness the barbs stop coming.

3. RSL

RSL Chieftain

I agree that the massive hordes of barbs gets really ridiculous but if it weren't for that [continuous] barb rush I might not have learned to protect my cities [and balance my "builder" tendencies] as quickly. I kind of like the barb attacks now. Bring it on, peons! [That was me talking to the barbs, not to y'all on the boards.]

4. Argoth

Argoth Chieftain

!! That's it?! Thanks!

5. Dantius II

Dantius II Chieftain

What you need to do is put guys near your borders and near areas where you cannot see. Barbarians cannot regenerate if you're watching tiles near your civ. Or, you could always just turn OFF the barbarians. They do give you that option, you know. ;)

6. Salty Ant

Salty Ant Chieftain

When you get a chance just build some strong and quick units like Cavalry and if its late game, helicopters to go destroy the barbarian cities. Then they'll stop coming.

7. Dantius II

Dantius II Chieftain

If you don't have the barbarians destroyed by the time you have cavalry (and especially helicopters) then there's something wrong with your playing ability. That is if you're not playing on terra.

8. Tomb.

Tomb. Chieftain

Barbs are your friends (not the raging ones). They train your military and build cities for you.

9. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy Chieftain

Very true, and their cities are usually in pretty good spots.
    If I find myself alone on an island, I like to keep a bit of decent land under the fog, getting the barbs to build a city there saves you a settler.

10. Akuma-sama

Akuma-sama Chieftain

'course, that's a double-edged blade, since they help the AI too. If you spot a barb city, get it FAST before one of them get it!
    A good trick against them is to put extra soldiers (you should ALWAYS have more than one unit protecting a city) toward the black, preferably on ressources to prevent irritating pillaging.
    ...and get axemen before they do; if you're still at Archers by the time the axemen come, you might have some trouble protecting yourself.

11. Dantius II

Dantius II Chieftain

Might work on say, settler difficulty. But on any other difficulty I can assure you the AI will settle in that area before the barbarians will build their city, especially if it is decent land.

12. Willem

Willem Deity

Barbs are generated in the Fog of War. No FoW no barbs. Stick Archers in the Hills around your borders and not only do you push back the FoW, but 90% of the barbs that come that way will suicide themselves against your units. An Archer on a Hill, especially if it's wooded, is almost indestructible against barbs. Even Swordsmen will quite often lose against them, if they have a rank or two of the Guerilla promotion. Barb Archers don't stand a chance and Axemen only get lucky sometimes.

13. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy Chieftain

I did mention if I find myself alone on an island. :)

14. Tomb.

Tomb. Chieftain

Sure, but it works well on emp, if you have secured some territory away from the AI (hinterland - is this a german term used in english?)

15. Dantius II

Dantius II Chieftain

Uh, CPU galleons? Even perhaps galleys? It's also not that bright to let perfectly good land sit there. You save hammers and encourage a small bit of growth in your city by not building the settler, but you gain an infinite amount more in the long run by building the city soon. The barbarians can't make a better city than you, either, if you know what you're doing. But it doesn't sound like you do...

16. Willem

Willem Deity

Yes, it's used in English as well.

17. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy Chieftain

The barbs are actually pretty good at settling by a couple of nice resources. If I was alone in the early game and had explored the entire region I would know for sure that galleys aren't going to be coming by, certainly not galleons.

Allowing a barb city to appear is certainly not the ideal way to go, but if you're alone and need to beeline to optics then sometimes a little help from our warlike friends isn't so bad.

Thanks for the compliment about me not knowing what I'm doing, much appreciated!! :D

18. pa2k

pa2k Chieftain

What an attitude.. if you know what you're doing, you might very well keep a pet barb city for a while

19. LordOfTheDrinks

LordOfTheDrinks Chieftain

One of the things that greatly helped me go up in difficulty was checking that little box: raging barbarians...
    It's better if some barbarians teach you the value of early military techs and of a good army than having Monty or Alex enlighten you... :)

20. Dantius II

Dantius II Chieftain

Sorry, I was crabby earlier and taking it out on the wrong people like a weirdo. Anyway, you also forget that if it's a good city, it is well-defended too. So you've got to waste MORE shields taking the army up there to take the city down, then more turns waiting for the benefits if the city is in resistance. Basically, just BUILDING the city ensures that it is yours, allows you to cultivate it to your civ's tastes and in the long run saves you a lot of both shields and time.