Barbs post 3.13

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Matjillam1, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Matjillam1

Matjillam1 Chieftain

I've just recently upgraded to 3.13 (I know, lazy me)

Is it just me, or did the barbs get a huge boost? I recently moved up to emperor, but suddenly I can't compete on that because barbs are kicking my butt early game and slowing my growth so much I can't compete in later game! I feel like I'm having raging barbs on, when they pretty early starts showing up in groups of 2-4 archers.

Anyone got a good advice? Perhaps beelining archery when not close to copper/horses would be a good idea, but still think I would have a hard time with archers.

Ohh, and btw: It kinda sucks getting that barb event at 3000 BC with 4-5 archers spawning right outside your borders going directly for your capital :)

2. Refar

Refar Deity

The event was there since BTS... I think you just got unlucky in your most recent games.

3. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

i find barbs to be wimpy compared to warlords and even vanilla. the early barb events are unbalanced. archery is a good idea on higher levels and don't forget to be dedicated in your fogbusting.

4. elmerrietveld

elmerrietveld Chieftain

Playing Warlords I like to gamble and to let barb archers attack my warriors. Warriors win most of the time. As it comes to fogbusting, I always try to estimate if neighbouring civ's can do that for me, or if I have to do it myself.

5. Bleys

Bleys Deity

I think BTS barbs are whimps compared to Vanilla. A lot less show up, and they seem to settle cities faster instead of charging in and tearing me up.

I have never played anything but BTS 3.13 though, so I cant compare it to the pre-patch version.

I have noticed that the Monarch to Emperor step up does have much more aggressive barbs, and that goes for both Vanilla and BTS. Prince to Monarch wasnt so bad, but Monarch to Emp seemed a tad trickier. Overall though, the barbs in BTS are handled much better than Vanilla (except those nasty events, of course)

6. aelf

aelf Ashen One

7. madscientist

madscientist RPC Supergenius

BTS 3.13 barbs.

Seams to me that they spawn and are very agressive UNTIL they get a city of their own at which point they become very passive. So to manage your problem with barbs in BTS 3.13

1) Beeline Great Wall.
    2) Bump archery up in the tech order.
    3) Leave Barb cities alone until you can easily defend your lands.

8. ChristofferC

ChristofferC Chieftain

I don't get all this talk about fogbusting. I never fogbust, and despite that I never have any problems with barbs. Only a handful enter my borders each game.

9. madscientist

Fogbusting is not that important in BTS 3.13 I have found. The more "fog" you lift with archers on your borders, the more barbs you will find as they are trying to findtheir own niche.

I have found that leaving them alone until I am ready to take and keep their cities is the bets thing.

For the record, Raging barbarians are an entirely different thing.

10. Blackluck

Blackluck Warlord

Maybe it depends on the map, but I play on Huge maps (or larger with a mod) and quite often there aren't any other civs within hailing distance; without the great wall, it's a never ending stream of barbs. In fact never have I seen so many "X civ has been destroyed!" messages so early in the game, all the result of barbarian take overs. I now build the Great Wall before even settling a second city :D

11. madscientist

This is a very good point huge maps. I always played huge maps until about a monthe after BTS. I switched to standard size for 2 reasons, I got tired of teh computer choking at the end of the game and it's easier to post standard sized games in the RPCs I post.

SO any comments I made about barbarian activity in BTS 3.13 take with a grain of salt.