1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

bargaining cities

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by kman, Jul 27, 2003.

1. kman

kman Chieftain

I have only once been able to get a losing civ to give up a city for peace. Is there some trick to getting them to give it up?

2. rangers85

rangers85 Official Thread Killer

If you mean in a trade, you can't. Only as part of peace treaties can cities be exchanged. This was an exploit in earlier versions of Vanilla civ.

3. wilbill

wilbill That Old Time Religion

kman, you have to have beaten them pretty badly - like capturing or razing several cities - before they'll give a city up in peace negotiations. Even then, they often are only willing to give up a size 1 backwater town that would probably flip back to them in a turn or two.

4. Hooray

Hooray Civ3 Cartographer

The better the city, the more the AI will want to keep it. Even if you give the AI a major thrashing, they'll probably only be willing to give up small tundra cities.

I once captured 80% of the Zulus' territory, and Shaka would only give up two ultra-corrupt size one cities in return for peace.

5. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

There really should be a way around that exploit of selling cities just to bring them back. Maybe make all the citizens in the sold city become the citizens of their new nation? Maybe a free temple? There's got to be a simple way around that.

6. Pembroke

Pembroke Tribune

The AI ought to check:
    - Can the AI reach the city only by going through foreign territory?
    - Does the culture flip chance exceed X%?

If either is yes then no trade.

Also to thwart that annoyingly ingenious human habit of coming up with new cunning plans :) add a rule that if the city bought ends up again in the human possessions - by any means whatsover except direct trade - in the following N turns the buying AI civ "feels betrayed" and thereafter won't trade cities with the human anymore except as part of a peace settlement or blackmail.

Would this be enough? I.e. if the above were implemented then what New Cunning Plan (TM) :) you'd come up with to swindle the AI?

7. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

I just beat them down until the give me everything but the capital.