1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

barracks, armories and such

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by LoudScott, Oct 24, 2016.

1. LoudScott

LoudScott Chieftain

So the civpedia says that among other things that barracks and amories do, units trained in Encampments with them gain 25% more experience. How? And how can you tell the difference between units trained at encampments with those buildings vs. ones without them?

2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Unlike Civ V, those buildings do not give new units any lump-sum XP to start or any starting promotions. Instead, they provide more XP gain from combat --- similar to the Civ V Honor policy Military Tradition, which gave 50% more XP from combat, or the Zulu's unique ability.

3. DirtyBeets

DirtyBeets Chieftain

Is there a way to tell a trained vs un-trained unit?

4. Bigv32

Bigv32 Chieftain

On top of that, can anyone please tell me how to figure out how many xp points my units have and how many more they need to get the next promotion? You know in other civs there was a clearly labeled area that told you this. Now I am either missing it or it is not there.

5. ccubed

ccubed Chieftain

Select a unit. At the bottom right of the screen there is a tiny white line that indicates experience. The current promotions are indicated with small medals above this line.

civ6exp.jpg

I don't know if there's a way to tell if a unit was produced with the exp bonus.

killmeplease and Landstander like this.
  6. LoudScott

LoudScott Chieftain

So I'm still curious as to how you identify units that have been "trained" versus the "untrained"????

7. Browd

Don't understand your question -- why do you need to know whether a unit is "trained" or "untrained"? What relevance does that have to the game? Unit exists, or does not exist.

8. Furycrab

Furycrab Chieftain

But you might not make all your units from the same city. So you might have 3-4 units that are untrained and 2-3 that you built in that city that are trained and get bonus exp. Seeing you can only name your units after level 2, means you need to keep track of which units you built from a "good" city.

Considering how much faster the units with training can get promotions, it's kinda a big deal to know which units you might want to put in harms way first knowing they might get healed.

AFAIK there isn't a way to see if a unit was built from a city with the encampment.

9. Browd

Got it. Yes, there's no in-game display showing that difference, although the game clearly knows the difference (since it has to boost the XP gain for the one and not the other).

10. LoudScott

LoudScott Chieftain

@Furycrab @Browd Exactly, in fact the benefits stack, so you could have units built before you have an encampment 0% benefit you might have units built after you have a barracks 25% benefit and then you might have units built after you have an armory....they would get 50% benefit. So now you have 3 different classes of units in the game and AFAIK there is no way to tell the difference between these units. So either I don't understand the benefit of those buildings and the user interface or there is something missing in the game. Is that more clear?

Sorry, posted this before I saw your reply. So that's it....no way to tell the difference. Got it.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  11. Lukasz81

Lukasz81 Chieftain

I think the way to distinguish them is to look at the xp bar of same level units - non trained unit will have progress i.e. 0/100 xp, barracks trained 0/75 xp, armory 0/50 xp.
    Not very convenient but you can tell the difference.

peddroelm likes this.
  12. MyOtherName

MyOtherName Chieftain

How odd. So the barracks effectively gives you a 33% bonus to the XP gained, not a 25%.

13. Lukasz81

Lukasz81 Chieftain

I am at work now and i totally made up those numbers - so everyone needs to check themselves in game if that is true.

14. neilkaz

neilkaz Chieftain

Are these buildings even worth building?

15. lamaros

lamaros Chieftain

Depends.

They're not bad.

16. Acken

Acken Chieftain

Its a good district. The encampment allowa you to build units aand gives a production bonus to trade routes. If you ally a military city state youll get even more prod bonus toward units. The barracks give a production bonus and housing.

17. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

Sorry for the necro, but I've found myself asking the same question than in this thread. How can I tell which units have the barracks/armory/academy experience bonus and which dont? Was this added by any patch? Does CQUI or NQUI address this problem?

18. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I cannot comment on mods but The addition experience from Oligarchy or barracks etc is only shown when the unit does damage.The XP bar at the bottom does not change and 0 reports show this benefit.

Some additional bits

XP needed increases by 15 per level for all troops.
    Ranged and melee get 4XP
    Melee ships of course get the Oligarchy bonus
    Scouts count as melee so also get Oligarchy bonus

When you have 7 levels of promotion and get to 350 XP you get the unit promotion alert bottom right on the main screen although you can no longer upgrade the unit. Stupid right.

A great question @Olleus as I have never really looked at XP in detail before.
    Some interesting parameters to test like
    +2 for killing a unit
    +10 for capturing a city
    8 max XP from a single combat
    3 XP for attacking a district
    the max promotions of 6 seems to be ignored Testing via firetuner

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  19. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Chieftain

In the current version of Civ6 the experience thresholds are not modified by encampment buildings. They just modifiy the experience you get from a combat. Unfortunately the experience is rounded (no floored just rounded), which means that you might not get more experience in certain situations.

I believe 8 max XP also means that a unit can get at most 8 experience per turn if it is attacked by several units in a single turn.

20. chazzycat

chazzycat Chieftain

CQUI does make the experience bar much easier to see in general, but no, doesn't address this specifically