1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Barracks Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by gmaharriet, Apr 9, 2005.

1. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

I've read the advice from good players about not trying to build every improvement, and I've read that barracks are important, but not one in every town/city. How many rax are enough for various map types and playing styles???

I'm a peaceful builder, but I try to keep a good defense using offensive units (learned THAT here too :D ), but until you get rails, it takes time to get back to a rax to upgrade units...and on an archipeligo it's almost impossible. I end up building one in every town, but I know it's probably a waste of shields.

Are there some good rules of thumb to go by? Do you constantly move units back and forth to keep them up-to-date? Thank you for any advice. :)

2. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

The rax thing: I like to build them whereever there isn't something more urgent. This usually means all core cities.

EDIT: I don't usually do defenders, but when I do, I do do the shuffling.

3. DBear

DBear unbeliever

If a town's capable of building troops, it should get a rax. This lets out the totally corrupt ones.

Or you could just build Sun Tzu ;)

4. soul_warrior

soul_warrior Termite!

in an archpelgo i try for a rax on every medium island (4+ cities). it will allow for quicker healing and upgrades.
    on continents - just the core, which is used to pump out units, and an occasional rax near the front, usually rushed, for R&R and upgrades.
    invaded continents get 1 rax @ the beach-head.
    pangea - same deal - core gets them, and 1-2 at the front.
    i guess its a bit overkill but i like my quick healing and upgrades.
    the great chinaman's art i will build if i have nothing better to do, or on pangea. it really is a waste on anything less than 10 new and effective raxs.

5. catchsomezzz

catchsomezzz Life is recursive.

Hi gmaharriet,

Early on, I'd only build barracks in the key unit-producing cities. Later on, if I didn't build/acquire the Sun Tzu, I'd add some barracks at several strategic "base of operations" in my empire so that less troops would have to shuffle back and forth.

But eventually, if I haven't been losing a lot of troops & spend time building replacement military units, I should eventually be able to afford the shields to build up my infrastructure while generating enough cashflows for gpt maintenance. So I'd build a few more barracks whereever I need it (but never in every cities).

6. vmxa

vmxa Deity

Well if you are peaceful builder, you do not need lots of barracks. I would make them in cities that will produce troops. In cities that are in front lines and going to be under fire for the healing. Same for a location that will be a bivouac (sp?) for healing, but not in the fron lines.

After rails you can disband some as it is easy to send units to a rax for upgrades or healing. Before then, I would hold on to barracks until I got my middle ages pgrades as it is some times too long of a trip to get them there and back.

7. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

Thank you all for the suggestions! That gives me a MUCH better sense of how barracks are managed, how many to build and where. :)

I always forget that I can sell off improvements I no longer need. That advice should be VERY helpful!!! I currently have about 50 cities on a normal arch map, completely railed, and a rax in every single one. :blush:

8. vmxa

vmxa Deity

May as well cut your losses then. Next time make a few less. :D