Base or rise and fall ?

tostaky

Chieftain
Hi !
I already got civ 6 but only played for 5-6 hours. Was a big civ 2 and civ 5 fan, but i've never really look in civ 6.

Should I buy it now or go through the base game many time before getting it ?

Thanks !

So i did not like civ IV and 3 was borderline so you sound similar.
VI carries on from V with its spread out units but has a lot more choice and complexity than V... but both of the I's can be frustrating (AI and UI)

If you care going to get it then there is a lot of changes between vanilla and now and with the new release we will have the familiar united nations style diplomatic game in play (and rock bands rather than 'musicians' for CV) ... so if you play vanilla you will sort of end up learning 1.5 games before you are up to speed. I would just get the lot and also the new expansion in Feb... then at least all the questions you ask here will be relevant.

If money is a concern then sure, maybe limit it but maybe there will be a special package offer for newcomers when Gather Storm comes out.
Hopefully your graphics card is half decent and your rig younger than 5 years old, you may struggle otherwise.

... no underwater cities though :(

If you can afford the ~€20 for Rise and Fall it is well worth it.

Thanks my PC is 5 years old ( I think) my GPU is a a radeon 7850, and cpu is an i5. Will it be enough ?

Hi !
I already got civ 6 but only played for 5-6 hours. Was a big civ 2 and civ 5 fan, but i've never really look in civ 6.

Thanks !

It may depend on what it is about Civ 6 that causes you to not like it so far.

For some people, R&F improved the base game experience. For me it did not. It basically doubled down on things I didn't like about vanilla Civ 6. Some people who didn't like the vanilla game, though, apparently do like the game with R&F. I'd say it's more common, however, for people who enjoyed the base game to be big fans of R&F.

I'm thinking it depends on how much you like to figure out a lot of things at once. Also, how much it bothers you if you know that you're playing far from optimally. You can dive straight into R&F, but there will be a lot more new mechanics to learn at once and you likely won't play as well at first as you would with just the base game.

IMO, the loyalty system and golden age system added in R&F improve the game enough that I never play the base game any more.

It does feel strange playing the vanilla Switch version after playing Rise & Fall for so long. I really miss the new civs, ages, and loyalty mechanics.

I played Vanilla until I'd won a victory with each leader, then I added Rise & Fall. It changes the game enough that it's really like playing a new title instead of just getting an expansion, and thus it extended the fun for me. I had a similar experience with the Civ V expansions.

I got R&F only a couple of weeks ago on a Steam special. So far, I think it's improved the game I'm happy to say. I'm not sure I would have paid full price for it though, but I haven't yet had the opportunity to play a full game yet. I would say go for it, especially if it's on special.

Rise and Fall is....alright. I played a lot of Civ V (the best civ game for me). Civ VI was generally a letdown, but I felt like it was really, really good for a vanilla release. Unfortunately, the patches were also a bit disappointing.

I waited nearly a year to get R&F and honestly, I'm disappointed all over again. Half of the mechanics are good, but not great and the other half actually make the game less enjoyable. The new civs are fun additions, but they're all pretty bland in design. I bought R&F and found myself thinking "How can most of these ability lists turn me off more than a vanilla civ I've played before"? I'm one of those people that likes to win once as each civ before replaying any too.

If you don't like VI, R&F won't make it better. If you like VI, theres a high likelihood that you'll like R&F, but theres a chance you won't.

I can't believe I'm typing this, but I feel that the DLCs are way better value for the cash.

I also think you should go straight to R&F. The new features make it a lot better. (It's my favourite version of all the Civs now...)

R&F with the Ynamp Terra Maps.

Top Bottom