1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Base or rise and fall ?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by tostaky, Jan 3, 2019.

1. tostaky

tostaky Chieftain

Hi !
    I already got civ 6 but only played for 5-6 hours. Was a big civ 2 and civ 5 fan, but i've never really look in civ 6.

Should I buy it now or go through the base game many time before getting it ?

Thanks !

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

So i did not like civ IV and 3 was borderline so you sound similar.
    VI carries on from V with its spread out units but has a lot more choice and complexity than V... but both of the I's can be frustrating (AI and UI)

If you care going to get it then there is a lot of changes between vanilla and now and with the new release we will have the familiar united nations style diplomatic game in play (and rock bands rather than 'musicians' for CV) ... so if you play vanilla you will sort of end up learning 1.5 games before you are up to speed. I would just get the lot and also the new expansion in Feb... then at least all the questions you ask here will be relevant.

If money is a concern then sure, maybe limit it but maybe there will be a special package offer for newcomers when Gather Storm comes out.
    Hopefully your graphics card is half decent and your rig younger than 5 years old, you may struggle otherwise.

... no underwater cities though :(

3. crouchy

crouchy Chieftain

If you can afford the ~€20 for Rise and Fall it is well worth it.

4. tostaky

tostaky Chieftain

Thanks my PC is 5 years old ( I think) my GPU is a a radeon 7850, and cpu is an i5. Will it be enough ?

5. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

sure, will be fine

6. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

It may depend on what it is about Civ 6 that causes you to not like it so far.

For some people, R&F improved the base game experience. For me it did not. It basically doubled down on things I didn't like about vanilla Civ 6. Some people who didn't like the vanilla game, though, apparently do like the game with R&F. I'd say it's more common, however, for people who enjoyed the base game to be big fans of R&F.

Civrinn likes this.
  7. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I'm thinking it depends on how much you like to figure out a lot of things at once. Also, how much it bothers you if you know that you're playing far from optimally. You can dive straight into R&F, but there will be a lot more new mechanics to learn at once and you likely won't play as well at first as you would with just the base game.

IMO, the loyalty system and golden age system added in R&F improve the game enough that I never play the base game any more.

CPWimmer likes this.
  8. CPWimmer

CPWimmer King

I am one of those players who generally think "more is better". I can't imagine playing just Vanilla at this point. And I'll feel the same way about R&F once GS is out.

9. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Prince

It does feel strange playing the vanilla Switch version after playing Rise & Fall for so long. I really miss the new civs, ages, and loyalty mechanics.

Vandlys likes this.
  10. Isengardtom

Isengardtom Warlord

Definitely think Rise and Fall added more fun to the game

11. Midgardsormr

Midgardsormr Warlord

I played Vanilla until I'd won a victory with each leader, then I added Rise & Fall. It changes the game enough that it's really like playing a new title instead of just getting an expansion, and thus it extended the fun for me. I had a similar experience with the Civ V expansions.

12. RealAntithesis

RealAntithesis Warlord

I got R&F only a couple of weeks ago on a Steam special. So far, I think it's improved the game I'm happy to say. I'm not sure I would have paid full price for it though, but I haven't yet had the opportunity to play a full game yet. I would say go for it, especially if it's on special.

13. Caesar Augustus 27 BC

Caesar Augustus 27 BC Chieftain

I played when Civ VI launched and got Rise and Fall when that came out, I'd never go back to base game. Rise and Fall is just more features and some better tweaks, I see no reason to ever go back to base game.

Ferocitus and CPWimmer like this.
  14. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Prince

Rise and Fall is....alright. I played a lot of Civ V (the best civ game for me). Civ VI was generally a letdown, but I felt like it was really, really good for a vanilla release. Unfortunately, the patches were also a bit disappointing.

I waited nearly a year to get R&F and honestly, I'm disappointed all over again. Half of the mechanics are good, but not great and the other half actually make the game less enjoyable. The new civs are fun additions, but they're all pretty bland in design. I bought R&F and found myself thinking "How can most of these ability lists turn me off more than a vanilla civ I've played before"? I'm one of those people that likes to win once as each civ before replaying any too.

If you don't like VI, R&F won't make it better. If you like VI, theres a high likelihood that you'll like R&F, but theres a chance you won't.

I can't believe I'm typing this, but I feel that the DLCs are way better value for the cash.

15. SephiBBZ

SephiBBZ Chieftain

R&F, just a must for me. Really great.

Rup likes this.
  16. Weraptor

Weraptor Prince

R&F > G&K as first expansions go for me

17. TomKQT

TomKQT Prince

18. HisDivineShadow

HisDivineShadow Chieftain

I also think you should go straight to R&F. The new features make it a lot better. (It's my favourite version of all the Civs now...)

Ferocitus likes this.
  19. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Emperor

I haven’t played R&F yet, I’m planning to wait for Gathering Storm and get them both, or the Civ6 complete.

20. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

R&F with the Ynamp Terra Maps.