Basic Question about Great Prophet

Solon70

Warlord
I think this is a very basic question for anyone who understands the religion system, but that person is not me, and I am sort of confused. Hopefully someone can help me.

Here is my game situation. I chose a Pantheon early on, and haven't done anything else with religion since. The only religion in the game, Catholicism, was founded by my neighbor Montezuma. While he was building shrines I was building swordsmen and now I am the new owner of his capital/holy city.

Right after annexing his capital, a Great Prophet pops up for me (I guess the timing was coincidental?) Now I am confused about whether I want to found a religion of my own or whether there is something else I would rather be doing.

Now that I control the holy city of Catholicism, has the religion become "mine" in any meaningful sense? Do I have any control over it, can I use it to help me win the game? (Does the answer to these questions change if I eliminate Montezuma entirely, which I haven't done yet?) Or do I want to just found my own religion and convert all these cities away from the scourge of Catholicism?

Any explanation would be very helpful, thanks.

It is not yours. The Founder belief still benefits him. Use your Great Prophet to found your religion in one of your own cities, usually your capital.

Okay, thanks, I think I get it now. So one followup question. Since I haven't been worrying about Faith at all, the only faith in my whole empire is from my 2nd biggest city working Mt. Sinai for 8 faith/turn. Is there any advantage to making that the holy city instead of my capital? It's more centrally located, too.

Centrality of location is a reason (pressure radiates in all directions, so presumably more cities will be in range, and when you build the Grand Temple, the pressure your holy city emits will double) -- faith from Sinai is not.

Pressure is a ten tile radius from your city, central location means it pressure more cities. You should save it then send your great prophet to the captured capital and test if if can be a double holy city (probably not). Make a coastal city your holy city so you can send large pressure with trade routes (from building the Grand Temple there).

Holy cities can't be razed, but generally this never comes up.

Top Bottom