Basic questions before I buy

Ultraworld

Emperor
Been playing all previous versions of Civ on the PC. Recently I switched to a Mac and now I would like to play Civ 5 on my Mac. Before I buy I do have some questions:

1. Is there a DVD version or is it a download only? Where should I get the download from?
  2. What is the minimum screen resolution? I can not find any info on that
  3. I want to buy the one which has all the expansion packs. Is that possible?
  4. In previous versions I liked to mod the game. Is that possible in 5 as well?

thanks

Hi

I don't think there's a DVD version, but someone may correct me. There are three principle download sources, and all allow you to buy the expansion packs. Note that Civ Beyond Earth is not an expansion, it's a separate game.

- Steam. If you subscribe to Civ5 on Steam you can download it for Mac and Windows, and play either version - one at a time.

- Aspyr's GameAgent site offers the Steam version, and you end up activating it using a Steam account. There may be variations in price and offers between this and a direct Steam purchase.

- The Mac App Store. This offers the Civ5 Campaign Edition which is Mac-only, and cannot be mixed and matched with Steam expansions. It sometimes lags when there are updates due to the Apple Store verification checks, and there is no easy access to the Steam Workshop to download and install mods.

2. As far as I know, any modern Mac would have a screen resolution that would run Civ5.

3. Steam offers the Civ5 Complete Edition which includes the expansions. The Campaign Edition from the App Store doesn't - you have to buy the expansions as in-app purchases.

4. Civ5 modding is normally done using the SDK, which only runs on Windows. You can use a Mac to make limited changes by editing the text files - XML and lua scripts - but I don't think graphical mods are easy on a Mac. Also, unlike the Windows version, you cannot mod the game rules by editing and recompiling the custom DLL, as this code is not accessible on the Mac version.

Thanks for your reply. I got it, but now I wonder if the only way to play it is by launching the steam application?

Long long time ago when you wanted to play a game you bought a DVD, installed it and you just ran it. Things have apparently changed.

Yes. You have to have Steam running as well, I'm afraid. If you try to quit it while Civ5 is running it complains!

Top Bottom