1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Basium, the Techwhore

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by orgonebox, Feb 3, 2009.

1. orgonebox

orgonebox Squidtastic

Curse that Basium! As my summoned ally, he has gifted every last single one of my techs to all other vassal/good civs in the game. Just giving it away! William S. Burroughs said, "Beware of whores who say they don't want money. They want more, much more." What does Basium want? A world in which no one trades with me, but have every single frackin tech advantage I researched? Bastard. "Arcane lore for your world map? Okey dokey!" "What, you want mithril working because you're a good friend? Shore thang!"

Rotten pile of angel dick. See if I summon you on anything other than a remote, snowbound tundratile ever again.

2. Kenjister

Kenjister Swimmer

Well, it is normal behavior for AI's to gift all their techs to Vassals. The Good leaders also tend to be a bit generous sometimes if you're Friendly with them. I've had Ethne gift me Poisons before. I almost didn't believe it!

3. Fafnir13

Fafnir13 King

Does the "No tech brokering" option stop Basium from giving techs away? It's the only solution I can think of.

4. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I thought that AIs with human Permanent Allies were supposed to leave all diplomacy up to the human ally.

Are you absolutely positive that is it Basium giving away the techs, and not just other civs having good research and/or the Eyes and Ears Network?

I'm not sure if for "No tech brokering" purposes it counts whether the team or player researched it, so I don't know if it would block this behavior.

I found it odd that in my last game an AI would not agree to trade a couple techs for anything I had (including more than half a dozen techs I could have traded for it, and a lot fo gold), but then when I asked for them as a gift gave them freely.

5. Capn Charlie

Capn Charlie Chieftain

Yeah, tech brokering is always on for me by default. I make sure I tick it even before I've decided what civ I want to play, usually.

Sometimes I feel like the MPAA, but just plain NO, if I give you a tech, I want you to have the tech, not literally ever other . .. .. .. .ing AI. I look at the option as a EULA of sorts.

6. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

I think no tech brokering is kind of silly

Beware he who would deny you acess to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master

7. wilboman

wilboman Hibernorse Frost Giant

Da*n straight I do!
    CEO Nawabudike Morgan, Datalinks

8. Domingo

Domingo El Desaparecido

:lol: I love it.

9. Iceciro

Iceciro Special Ability: Decimate

AIs in general do this back-and-forth with each other. Techtrading has been off in my games for some time.

10. Neomega

Neomega Deity

I use no tech brokering, because you cannot tell an AI, "hey, dont trade this secret away to my worst enemy. "

11. Anathema

Anathema Chieftain

I turn off tech brokering mainly to remove the temptation for abusing it myself - it's really too easy to buy a decent tech off one AI, sell it to 3 others for more than you paid, use your new techs/gold to buy a more valuable tech off another AI, sell it to 5 others at profit, use your huge shiny pile of gold to deficit research another tech before anyone else does, trade it to every AI for even more gold and other techs, which you then also sell to whoever doesn't have them, providing you a truly massive pile of gold to deficit research the next tech before anyone else gets it - and so on. Of course the AI can do this too, it's not generally smart enough to do it deliberately, but can accidently gain advantages from tech brokering anyway. I really don't think Civ4 was designed with tech brokering in mind, it's just broken in so many ways.

12. Neomega

Neomega Deity

Yeah, there is that too. Another reason I turned it off, is I always forget to trade away my new tech as soon as I get it, for whatever I can get from all 10 -15 civs. That, and the micromanagement of talking to every leader, figuring out the best way to get every possible other known tech, etc... is so tedious, but so profitable... and the game can progress un-fun-ly fast with tech brokering on.

13. orgonebox

orgonebox Squidtastic

There's simply no other explanation. If two vassal civs and one non-aligned but good civ who have been teching along their respective paths suddenly gain all your techs that you've been specifically researching, it would make sense that your good buddy Basium is giving it away. I mean, Arendel Phaedra researching Malevolent Designs all on her lonesome? Basium has been getting his rancid angelpole waxed by some goody-two-shoes elf wench.

The other possibility is that Basium has given all the techs to the vassals, and then the vassals are giving the techs to the third non-aligned but good player. I doubt this option since they're supposedly "worst enemies."

14. KingOfLands

KingOfLands Warlord

I noticed No Tech Brokering was really slowing the AI's development a few patches ago (around .40a) and stopped playing with it on, much as I liked it. It was no fun to be getting asked for Mysticism in turn 300.

It's a great idea but some of the AI leaders appear to be abnormally bad at diversifying a bit while / before beelining whatever tech they're aiming for. Possibly that's changed since?

15. Imuratep

Imuratep Cultist of the Old Ones

That's not necessarily connected with no tech brokering. I WANT the AI to be worthy adversaries so I never turn on any of these options. On Immortal in our MP game we had two civilizations that hadn't Mysticism on turn 350 (Ethne and Garrim). Because with my starting civ the game repeatedly crashed at a certain turn, I switched to Garrim and I saw the reason why he had not yet researched Mysticism: 9 research and 10% percent, because no improvements were ever build, war against Rhoanna and about 15 cities. I managed to get him at 300 research at 90% just by improving his land, researching trade route technologies and by gifting 4 really useless jungle cities to Rhoanna.

To topic: It would be interesting to have an option that lets you see what trades the AI makes. If the AI really trades Poisons for a worldmap that should be changed.

16. mo123567

mo123567 Worst modder ever!

Basium did the same thing to me. I was way ahead in tech and he gave it away, most likely for free. That was the last time I created him and I promptly posted a thread saying that you should not be forced into a permanent alliance with him.

17. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

sorry for the OT, but I just had to congratulate the OP for knowing about William Burroughs. Naked Lunch was an excellent read :D

18. orgonebox

orgonebox Squidtastic

Not that this is a seriously on-topic thread, but presumably I'll be able to write my thesis on Burroughs provided I can get my professors at this podunk university to accept anything other than the same old conclusions based on the s.o.s. I remember the good old days when Naked Lunch, a three-liter gravity bong, and a half-ounce brick of hash helped me through the longer, darker, colder part of a Dublin winter.

In other news, wouldn't it be fun for the Kuriotates to have a mugwump unit? I shudder to think what such a unit's abilities might be.

"Addicted to Mugwump: has a chance to afflict enemy units with the 'addiction' promotion, requiring them to visit a mugwump every ten turns. Can only be removed by staying in a city with the "lexington clinic" national wonder for five turns."

19. Niveras

Niveras Prince

Commissioner Pravin Lal, actually.

/pedant

20. wilboman

wilboman Hibernorse Frost Giant

Incorrect. Pravin Lal made the original statement "Blah, blah, wossy things about sharing tech and everyone being friends, very in keeping with my UN agenda". This is Morgan's fictional reply, very in keeping with his agenda to buy the Universe.