Basketball Q

againsttheflow

unpolitically uncorrect
Does anyone know the rule for when the ball hits the sides of top of the back board? I'd always thought it was out when it hit the top but I wasn't sure about the sides. Someone claimed to me recently that when it hits the sides it's out, but not when it hits the top. I've checked but I can't find a very clear rule for the situation. Just plain answers are fine but I'd appreciate a link to an official site. ;)

I found this rule on the NBA site...

a. The ball is out-of-bounds when it touches a player who is out-of-bounds or any other person, the floor, or any object on, above or outside of a boundary or the supports or back of the backboard.

...but it's not very clear. By "back" do they mean as opposed to the front or as opposed to the bottom. TIA :)

In college, if the ball hits on top of the backboard after a shot and goes a) behind the backboard or b) hits any part of the shot clock (which usually sits atop the backboard) it is a deadball and possession is awarded to the team that did not touch it last.

The edges are ok, they used to be out, now they let them back in. The top is in. See Dwayne Wade's shot 3 nights ago off the top of the backboard. It was crazy.

Top Bottom