Basketball Wordl Cup!!!!

academia

Master of the Universe
Hi Guys!!!!!
Are you interested in basketball????
If you answer is positive, then you should have heard about the 14th World Cup. It´s going to take place in Indianapolis from 29th August - 8th September

Attachments

• logo_wmm.gif
    logo_wmm.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 155
I´d like to begin a World Cup prediction game...
I hope it´s not too late... you know the world cup will begin tomorrow...
Anyway, are you interested?

For you to know:
This is the Competition Format

Attachments

• wm_men_final.gif
    wm_men_final.gif
    14.6 KB · Views: 161
Groups:

POOL A: Angola, Canada, Spain, Yugoslavia
POOL B: Brazil, Lebanon, Puerto Rico, Turkey
POOL C: Algeria, China, Germany, United States
POOL D: Argentina, New Zealand, Russia, Venezuela

The top 3 teams qualify to a second round. Best 3 from POOL A and POOL B merge into a new group: E
Best 3 from POOL C + POOL D: group F

Then, the usual quarterfinals, semifinals and final match.

Well, this is the system:

First, i´m going to post the entire schedule from the First Round.
Then, you´ll have to place your bet.

An example:

Aug 29, 2002
Yugoslavia vs. Angola

You must choose a winner and a victory margin.
Like this:

Yugoslavia vs. Angola - Yug Wins by 11-15 points

If you guess right (who is the winner) you´ll receive 20 points.
If you also guess right the victory margin: 10 extra points.

In reference to the victory margin, you could choose between:

A) 1-5 points
B) 6-10 points
C) 11-15 points
D) 16-20 points
E) + 20 points

It´s really simple. I didn´t want to create strange or difficult point systems. :D

29th August Games:

POOL A:
Yugoslavia vs. Angola
Canada vs. Spain

POOL B:
Brazil vs. Lebanon
Puerto Rico vs. Turkey

POOL C:
China vs. Germany
USA vs. Algeria

POOL D:
New Zealand vs. Russia
Argentina vs. Venezuela

So, if you are interested just post your predictions ;)

I'd love to, but I don't know enough about the other teams to really handicap them...

I can be fairly accurate when I pick the winner though! :D

Here's my try:

POOL A:
Yugoslavia vs. Angola Yugoslavia by 11-15
Canada vs. Spain Canada by 16-20

POOL B:
Brazil vs. Lebanon Brazil by 20+
Puerto Rico vs. Turkey Turkey by 11-15

POOL C:
China vs. Germany Germany by 6-10
USA vs. Algeria USA by 20+

POOL D:
New Zealand vs. Russia Russia by 20+
Argentina vs. Venezuela Argentina by 11-15

Well, it seems that there aren´t many bastekball fans around :(
Anyway, thanx for your post Flatlander Fox.
If you want me to go on with this predictions, i´ll do it. However, with only 2 guys (you and me)... i don´t know.

My predictions:

POOL A:
Yugoslavia vs. Angola Yugoslavia by 20+
Canada vs. Spain Spain by 1-5

POOL B:
Brazil vs. Lebanon Brazil by 20+
Puerto Rico vs. Turkey Turkey by 11-15

POOL C:
China vs. Germany Germany by 6-10
USA vs. Algeria USA by 20+

POOL D:
Argentina vs. Venezuela Argentina by 20+

30th August Games:

POOL A:
Yugoslavia vs. Spain
Canada vs. Angola

POOL B:
Puerto Rico vs. Lebanon
Brazil vs. Turkey

POOL C:
China vs. Algeria
USA vs. Germany

POOL D:
New Zealand vs. Venezuela
Argentina vs. Russia

Originally posted by Flatlander Fox
POOL D:
Originally posted by Academia
POOL D:
Well, I guess you both got that wrong :D

An extract from a NZ paper:

Two weeks ago New Zealand upset world champions Yugoslavia. Add to that a win against China and the Oceania qualifying victory against Australia last year for the right to come to Indianapolis and the Tall Blacks are now regular Davids in a world ruled by Goliaths.

Two weeks ago New Zealand upset world champions Yugoslavia. Add to that a win against China and the Oceania qualifying victory against Australia last year for the right to come to Indianapolis and the Tall Blacks are now regular Davids in a world ruled by Goliaths.

Yes, I know it. But i believed that it was just luck. That´s it.
I saw them yesterday against Russia... what a surprise!!! :eek:

Gosh, not that knowledgable about the World Championships. Not exactly my idea of a competitive sport.

I do like Yugoslavia's team though, they've got a pretty good line-up; could probably compete decently in the NBA.

Canada would have had an interesting team if not for injuries. Of course, no team is as robbed of talent by injuries as the U.S. but that really doesn't matter. Personally, I would like to see the use of proffessional players halted again, I find it kind of tasteless. Reminds me of that terrible McDonalds commercial with Kobe Bryant playing with the grade schoolers. Just painful to watch.

I'm more than amazing with the Spain victories over Canada and Yugoslavia! And Canada has lost her game against Angola, that's amazing too

Gosh, not that knowledgable about the World Championships. Not exactly my idea of a competitive sport.
Not competitive? Have you seen how many international players play in the NBA?

Personally, I would like to see the use of proffessional players halted again, I find it kind of tasteless. Reminds me of that terrible McDonalds commercial with Kobe Bryant playing with the grade schoolers. Just painful to watch.
The gap is closing... be careful US. Don´t be so arrogant. Don´t you remember Sydney 2000? You defeated Lithuania by only 2 points.

If you can´t see the progress of the rest of the world... :rolleyes:

I'm more than amazing with the Spain victories over Canada and Yugoslavia! And Canada has lost her game against Angola, that's amazing too
Yaroslav???? No sabia que tambien estabas aqui!!!

Yes, I'm also here :D

Originally posted by academia
Not competitive? Have you seen how many international players play in the NBA?
Of course. And there are some great ones there. But even on the teams where they are the best players (I'm thinking the Mavericks, and perhaps the Grizzlies), they are still few and far between. Especially as far as the 'elite' players in the league are concerned (I think there were 3 or 4 out of 16 all-stars, for example).

Originally posted by academia
The gap is closing... be careful US. Don´t be so arrogant. Don´t you remember Sydney 2000? You defeated Lithuania by only 2 points.
The Sydney team stunk. They had no motivation to even put forth an effort. Its one of the reasons I wish pro's wouldn't play; they take winning for granted they don't put much of an effort forth.
But still, unfortunately, its not even our best players representing us. I mean Shaq, Jason Kidd, Tracy McGrady, Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson... all resting with their feet up waiting for the NBA to roll around. Kinda sad they don't consider this important enough to play at.

And I guess I spoke too soon about Yugoslavia, they just lost to Spain. Go Pau! :goodjob:

They had no motivation to even put forth an effort. Its one of the reasons I wish pro's wouldn't play; they take winning for granted they don't put much of an effort forth.
I agree with you. However, i´m not sure that the college players will eventually play better than them.
What would be their motivation? I mean, what´s the difference?

Kinda sad they don't consider this important enough to play at.
I don´t understand the US NBA players. You are the best!!! Everybody knows that. But, show it please!!!
You are defending the colours of your country, your flag. Please, show enthusiasm!!!

more international players are getting in the nba.. even the first round pick yao ming is a chinese!!!! then there is nowitzki.. stojakovic, nash, gasol..etc... in ten years time there it will be like the nhl... hahahahaha....... maybe by beijing 2008 china will get gold!!!!

The Grizzle's suck, but hopefully they'll get better since they acquired Battier.
I think its good that the US's best players don't play, cause it really REALLY wouldn't be a competition. Not bashing any countries, but here's my starting 5.
Shaq
Iverson
Kobe Bryant
Tim Duncan
Tracey Mcgrady

It just wouldn't be a competition with our best. Remember the original Dream Team? Back when it was our best playing we dominated by WAY too many points. Wasn't fun watching.
Jordan, Barkley and the other greats back then.....its just good that we don't put our best on the US national team

oh and USA will win the Championship! :)

I have no doubt that if you select your best players, it won´t be a competition. My starting five:
C Shaq
PF Duncan
SF Garnett
SG Bryant
PG Kidd

A NEW DREAM TEAM!!! :D

Anyway, remember that you aren´t using your best players... be careful with the surprises!!!! Don´t be so confident...

Top Bottom