[BAT 2.0] BugOptions - Cannot locate settings folder

Rafff

Chieftain
Hi,

First thing - thanks a lot to everyone involved into BUG. This is an amazing piece of work and I can only regret learning about it only after few years of playing CivIV without it.

I am using a standard user in Vista for my normal work with PC therefore I need to use my admin account every time I install anything. Installation of BAT was normal - I installed it as admin. Everything was smooth. When I started the game however I got message about missing settings folder. Hmmmm. Quick search allowed me to get some hints and I soon solved it.

BAT installer creates the required folders in "My Documents" but it does so for the user that installed it. It was admin in my case so I had to copy My Games\Beyond the Sword\BUG Mod from Admin documents folder into my user's.

Now, if someone is using two accounts like I do, then (s)he probably is able to solve it as I did but it could be a small improvement for BAT installer to ask whether to install it for current user only or for all users on the machine.

The problem is that you had to copy that folder to the other user's account--not the special All Users account. When an application allows you to install it for all users, it is typically only storing start menu shortcuts into that special account. Windows takes care of showing those shortcuts to all users.

However, when BUG/BAT looks for the folder, it needs a specific location. It can get the current user's My Documents folder, but it cannot access the All Users folder, and that folder doesn't have a My Documents folder anyway.

One thing I can do is make it create the folder when it isn't found. This will work for options as the settings files (INI) are created automatically. It won't be able to find the other files there such as the Advanced Unit Naming options and Custom Domestic Advisor pages that come pre-installed.

Thanks for the pointer. I'll have to do some more thinking on how to solve this issue. When you install the game, can't you just do Run As... and select the admin account? This should keep you as the active user but give you temporary privileges to install to the correct folder.

One thing I can do is make it create the folder when it isn't found. This will work for options as the settings files (INI) are created automatically. It won't be able to find the other files there such as the Advanced Unit Naming options and Custom Domestic Advisor pages that come pre-installed.

Yes, this would be the best solution. Hope it is not a lot of work :)

When you install the game, can't you just do Run As... and select the admin account? This should keep you as the active user but give you temporary privileges to install to the correct folder.

This is how I do this. Vista is actually quite clever and usually proposes to use admin account for installers. Program is executed exactly the same as if it was started by admin so it means that admin's document folder is the one used by installer (even though my standard users initiated installation).

I'm getting this error too, and worse, it won't save any settings I set, and I haven't got a clue where it's looking that it can't find it. I can find the folder just fine exactly where it's probably supposed to be.

I didn't install under a different account, I don't have multiple log-ins or users, just me, using the built-in admin account. It's been renamed, of course, and my My Documents folder is located in a non-default location so that if the computer has to be wiped, I won't lose anything, but none of this has changed since I installed, so it shouldn't have affected anything. This was a clean install, all the way from Civ4 and BTS up to BAT. I get about half a million "cannot locate settings folder" messages per turn, so I have to turn off the warning and make my changes to the settings every time. Thankfully, you've chosen a lot of intelligent defaults, but there are still a few preferences I have.

I cannot discern from the above discussion where the program is looking and where I should copy something to. I cannot see anything in the options which tells me where it's looking, or where I can tell it to look. Is there a solution to be had?

Thanks.

Folder location:
E:\my documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\BUG Mod\UserSettings
This is memory card, essentially an external drive which is always plugged in.

I'm getting this error too, and worse, it won't save any settings I set, and I haven't got a clue where it's looking that it can't find it. I can find the folder just fine exactly where it's probably supposed to be.

I didn't install under a different account, I don't have multiple log-ins or users, just me, using the built-in admin account. It's been renamed, of course, and my My Documents folder is located in a non-default location so that if the computer has to be wiped, I won't lose anything, but none of this has changed since I installed, so it shouldn't have affected anything. This was a clean install, all the way from Civ4 and BTS up to BAT. I get about half a million "cannot locate settings folder" messages per turn, so I have to turn off the warning and make my changes to the settings every time. Thankfully, you've chosen a lot of intelligent defaults, but there are still a few preferences I have.

I cannot discern from the above discussion where the program is looking and where I should copy something to. I cannot see anything in the options which tells me where it's looking, or where I can tell it to look. Is there a solution to be had?

Thanks.

Folder location:
E:\my documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\BUG Mod\UserSettings
This is memory card, essentially an external drive which is always plugged in.
If you're running Windows 7 or Vista, try running the game as administrator. Right click and choose "Run as Admin..."

How do you tell Civ4 where your My Documents folder is located? Or does Windows handle it all on its own? You might need to use the CvAltRoot.py module that is in the Info folder. Following the instructions inside it.

Top Bottom