1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

BAT or BUG possible on Steam Mac version?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - BTS Unaltered Gameplay (BUG, BAT and BULL)' started by zarakand, Dec 13, 2015.

1. zarakand

zarakand Chieftain

Hey all,

My aging desktop is pretty much dead and I'm using my macbook as my primary computer. I bought Civ IV from Steam during one of the sales, and I'm wondering if it's possible to use BUG/BAT on the Steam Mac version?

If so, how would I go about enabling it? Thanks!

2. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

BAT won't work on a Mac. It uses a custom DLL. Mac CIV does not use DLLs. You can install BUG fine. If you want it as a stand alone mod, you have to find where Steam has put the mods that are included with BTS. If you want BUG to load whenever you start up CIV, you want to put it in CustomAssets in your Documents folder. That is where I put mine.

If you haven't already fixed BUG 4.4 to work on your Mac, you have to do a minor edit to make it work. Open the file BugUtil.py in a text editor such as TextWrangler or even TextEdit and delete line 699. If you don't have a text editor with line numbers, just search for, and delete, the line:

newFunc.__name__ = function.__name__

Then save the file back where it came from.

In case the download that you get does not include manual installation instructions, here they are, modified for Mac OSX. You can't use the installer or exe that come with BUG, they are for Windows.

If you want to use BAT or any other mod with a custom DLL on your Mac, you will need to install a virtual Windows machine inside your Mac using a program such as Parallels and purchase the Windows version of CIV to install there. I have done that and it works fine. However, if you want to do this, look in the "CIV - Technical Support" forum for the information about the update that Microsoft did to Windows 7 & 8 in September. CIV disc versions will not work with the update nor with Windows 10 unless you use the work arounds described in the forum. If you use the Steam version, that won't be a problem, since it is the actual disc access that is messed up.

That said, although I have the Windows version of CIV installed via Parallels, I mostly use the Mac version, since I only use a mod with a custom DLL now and then.

3. zarakand

zarakand Chieftain

Thanks so much! I've got Bug working with my Steam version here :)

4. s.bernbaum

Ad the AI says when Friendly: Always glad to help! :)

5. Deilan

Deilan Chieftain

Is there also a way to make work BULL along with BUG on Mac Steam version?

Have installed BUG successfully by copying contents of the archive into:
    ~/Library/Application Support/STEAM/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Mods/BUG Mod 4.4/

If I then copy the contents of the BULL archive into the BUG's mod directory, BULL options stay unavailable in-game.

6. s.bernbaum

BULL uses a custom DLL. Since the Mac version of CIV does not use a DLL, the custom DLL is ignored. That is the reason no mods using a custom DLL will work with the Mac version, no matter what the source of the CIV (disc, Steam, Amazon, etc). The code that is in the DLL in the Windows version of CIV is included in the main program code for the Mac version instead. I have no idea why they did it that way but it limits modding Mac CIV to XML and Python.