Battle for Middle Earth

Luke Skylarker

Chieftain
Yes, I know there is already a Middle Earth map(Arda or something), but I had made this before finding this site and still wanted it released.
Battle for Middle Earth is a map of, well, Middle Earth. I made the map using World Builder and duplicating this map into it: [[http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Middle-earth.jpg]]. Naturally, it isn't a perfect replica. It's missing several things like Rohan, but I tried the best to make up for it.
Characters: Boromir(Brennus/Celtic)
Elvenking(Augustus Caesar/Rome)
Dwarf King(Ragnar/Vikings)
Saruman(Suryavarman II/Khmer)
Sauron(Gilgamesh/Sumeria)
I tried to match as best as I could(only using World Builder and all). Boromir, Ragnar, and Caesar are on Team 1, with Saruman and Sauron on Team 2. You start out at war with them, but as the map's pretty big, you won't need to worry for long. Boromir starts out with The Shire, which is rich with resources. Augustus Caesar starts out with Elvenking's Castle(in mirkwood). Ragnar starts out with New Moria(southwest of The Shire). Saruman has Isengard. Sauron has all of Mordor.
Each Team starts out with a few techs, and each Civ has 1-2 World Wonders. Moria, Iron Hills, Minas Tirith, and West Osgiliath are taken by barbarians(East Osgiliath already being in control of Sauron). Morannon(the Black Gate) is heavily enforced(around 200% defense), but there is a secret way into Mordor. Diplomatic and Space Race victories are not an option. Not fully sure if I put Time victory on or not. Conquest is your best bet on winning. Cultural is possible and Domination is available as well(good luck on that one).
Each good Civ starts out with some units.
Boromir - Aragorn(Swordsman), Merry and Pippin(Fast Worker), Frodo and Sam(Scout)
Elvenking - Legolas(Longbowman), 2 Elven Archers(Longbowman)
Dwarf King - Gimli(Berserker), 2 Dwarf Axemen(Berzerker)
Each special unit(i.e. Aragorn) has several promotions already. Saruman starts out with a good amount of Wargs down south and some Orcs in Isengard. Sauron has a host of Orcs in Mordor, as well as a Black Gate Guardian(who I can't seem to get to stay and guard).
This map could be released at any time, but several things hinder it from going:
1. Losing names. For some reason, whenever I save it as a scenario and play it as a scenario, the names go away. This would mainly be for fun, as it won't effect gameplay at all. When I play it as a saved file, the names remain, though.
2. Technology. This probably isn't possible with World Builder, but if I could make it so it takes longer to research technology, that would be great.
Another thing that would enhance gameplay is stopping the tech research at a certain point. Medieval would be an ideal stopping point (as guns on Middle Earth doesn't seem right).
3. Resources. When I made the map, I erased everything, including the resources. I've scattered a few, but not enough to encourage settlers to expand. To make the map work better, I'll have to scatter more resources (rather than just an occasional horse). If it's not possible to stop the tech research beyond Medieval, then I'll scatter some Uranium and Coal around.
4. Misc. Just some overall tweaks to gameplay. Such as make Saruman stronger (as Gimli was able to singlehandedly capture Isengard), and somehow negate chopping down certain forests (for all his connections to nature, the Elvenking seemed determined to industrialize and chop down Mirkwood).
If you have any advice to how to fix these ordeals, response would be received with thanks(I am by no means a tech head).
As I needed to amuse myself, I put in several easter eggs into the map. These include:
The Island of Terror
Icy Compass
An oddly-named barbarian unit
Gandalf's Sign
My real initials(Honestly, you'd need to know them to be able to find them. It's a puzzle.)
Map percentage done: at least 80%.
Luke Skylarker
aka.
Rune

If you can, I definitely suggest you incorporate Fantasy Pack 5: Wood Elves into this map. You should take a look at it in the Unit Graphics Forum.

Hmm. I'll look into that(after I read a step-by-step walkthrough of how to install it). I'll get the pictures up soon.

can you make one for regular civ also?

to make it so you can't have technologys past midevil times, delete them from the xml file and make it a mod. also make more custom units and citys.

i changed it to the original civ4 type and it looked like it had coast instead of river

Top Bottom