• Battle Hymn of the Republic

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • Dixie

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • They both suck!

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Both are awesome!

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Where is the Tom Petty option? Right here!

Votes: 3 5.0%

• Total voters

Godwynn

March to the Sea
Which is the better song?

Union - Battle Hymn of the Republic

Link to video.

Confederacy - Dixie

Link to video.

Sorry for the poor quality, they are the best I could find on YouTube. It take a little while for the first to get to the song, and you must suffer through Mel Gibson. The second sounds wimpy.

Almost the 150th year anniversary of John Brown's martyrdom, good call on the thread, obvious answer.

Regardless of whether the UNION is better or not, Battle Hymn of the Republic is an awesome song and spanks Dixie.

CSA CSA CSA

CSA #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Dixie is actually a Northern song.

CSA CSA CSA

CSA #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Yeah, at a lot of the battles it was. Outmanned, outgunned, out-equipped, it still spanked the Union plenty. Ultimately though, it just couldn't match the North's industry and population imbalance. Amazing it lasted as long as it did, really.

I said Battle Hymn of the Republic because it's a wonderful song for filking purposes. I've seen numerous Star Trek filks written to this melody (written one of my own), and I've been working on a Doctor Who filk for awhile now... :D

Yeah, at a lot of the battles it was. Outmanned, outgunned, out-equipped, it still spanked the Union plenty. Ultimately though, it just couldn't match the North's industry and population imbalance. Amazing it lasted as long as it did, really.
Not necessarily. When you are, essentially, fighting a defensive war, a lot of things work in your favor. Its easier to play D than O, so to speak.

I'm not saying that, esp. in the early years, they weren't a great, even superior, army, but I do think people tend to overlook this point.

Another interesting thing was that in Southern society the military was one of the only acceptable, honorable professions for "gentlemen". So, as you know, they had a ton of military academies, a cultural tradition of military service, and, thus, had an excellent officer corps at the start of the war.

But, you become proficient at something by either studying it or doing it and as the war went on and the South lost a lost of their leadership the North also had a host of officers who became educated on the battlefield and by wars end, the North had the superior officer corps.

Yeah, I can't deny any of that. A great example is the cavalry. As the war went on, the north produced some great cavalry commanders that rivaled the best the south ever had.

But thanks for poking my balloon! :D

Regardless of how much you may want slavery re-establish you cannot deny that the Battle Hymn of the Republic is a much better song

Even in the early days, the Confederacy's failures just about equaled their successes, even in field battles.

Anyway, Battle Hymn of the Republic by far. :D

Battle Hymn of the Republic. I can’t explain it, but I quite literally get chills down my spine when I hear this song (and not in a bad way). Dixie, while a fun song, doesn’t even come close to having this effect on me.

Here is a different version of the Battle Hymn with out Mel:

Link to video.

But thanks for poking my balloon! :D
I didn't fully burst it now, did I? :)

Like I said, they had an excellent officer corps. Early on, they were definitely the superior army. But, their same military culture also was a downfall because they had way to many high ranking officers who insisted on being on the front lines.

Its easy to say this in hind sight, of course, but their best chance was to take Washington in the first few months of the war.

Interestingly, in this war, attrition worked against the South, which, I think is a counter-intuitive thought on the surface.

The Hymn is the most nice sounding to my ears.

But Dixie seems more fun to sing in bigger events :D

Another interesting thing was that in Southern society the military was one of the only acceptable, honorable professions for "gentlemen".

While they certainly have a better military tradition they way you characterize it is patently false. The very size of the pre civil war army means it was barely available to anyone as a profession. The same professions that were acceptable in the North were acceptable in th South.

Its easy to say this in hind sight, of course, but their best chance was to take Washington in the first few months of the war.

They only had to get around McClellan's ever-bulging garrison, which is to say McClellan did something right, even if only for paranoid reasons.

'I Wish I Was in Dixie' is easily the better song. It speaks more to the practical side of humanity rather than the spiritual, as it were with the 'Battle Hymn'. If you listen to 'Dixie', it talks about the land and it tells a story. If you listen to the other, it is steeped in religious fervor pointed at pressing men to war. Blood is in the lyrics and name of the song entitled the 'Battle Hymn of the Republic'.

I like both.

Top Bottom