Battlefield Asia: The Asian answer to the Ancient Meditarrean Mod..

Although the Black Death put in an appearance in China around 1330, I don't think it ever matched the severity of the plague in Europe. Famine was a recurring problem though.

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
I think someone actually made a landmark Great Wall of China terrain set.
I was just browsing Kinboat's artist library and he has a set of stationary "units" he calls medieval walls, even though they don't look specifically European to me. worth a look, even if only as a starting point.

It was aaglo, swoggy.

and about the Civ List: I didn't say that was to be the Civ list. I said thoes civs should be in the game.

Goldflash's Luxury resource Ideas

Tea
Saffron
Furs
Silk
Porcelean
Gold
Jade
Oranges

India can be called BHARAT its original name .. It encompassed modern day Srilanka Pakistan Afghanistan Burma and probably some more parts east.
India was named by britishers

Devotee said:
India can be called BHARAT its original name .. It encompassed modern day Srilanka Pakistan Afghanistan Burma and probably some more parts east.
India was named by britishers
Actually not - it got the name from the Greeks, who in turn took it from the Persians, whose name for the Sindh area in modern Pakistan was "Hind".

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
I want the Burmese/Pagan whatever they are called to be their own civ though, since in Southeast asia they were once one of the major powers in the region, along with Khmer, Nat Viet and the Thai
Those are definitely the major powers in that region. Names tended to change as kingdoms would wax and wane depending on power/ability of individual dynasties. Usurpers or conquerors would often choose a new capitol, and the kingdom's name would change, while cultural identity would continue.

Well, you shouldn't listen to Shiro. He is silly. No splitting of India. No splitting of China. No splitting of Korea. Also, we should use the modern and recognizable names. India. Korea. China. Japan.

Also, for any westernization of Chinese, I say we listen to the Chairman and use Pinyin. Wade-Giles blows.

Also Also, and more importanly, and not a rant for once. I've almost finished the infantry unit lines. We have an offensive line and a defensive line, and they come togteher at rifleman. Also, there is a light unit line. These are your avaerage guys: Joe Li Wu, Ted Kang Seok, and Bob Takishima. They are cheap, draftable, and require few/no resources, and they aren't as good stats wise to thier 'professional' counterparts.

Goldflash said:
Also, for any westernization of Chinese, I say we listen to the Chairman and use Pinyin. Wade-Giles blows.

I agree. Wade-Giles Romanization of Chinese names makes things sound like stuff on the menu of a Panda Express. Soochow, Hangchow, etc. Sounds like fried noodles. "Suzhou", "Hangzhou" seem much more interesting. Although I don't like the use of "c" for a "t's" sound (since some Westerners would pronounce Cao Cao as "cow cow" when it's "t'sao t'sao" :crazyeye: ).

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
Shiro wanted me to split India into three civs, Nepal is one, what we aren't sure about is the other too.

Your choice of Indian civilizations depends on when the game starts. Pick a date. There are probably five major Indian nation states from 100 to 600 A.D. with perhaps ten minor ones, many of them collections or confederacies of smaller kingdoms. Sri Lanka for instance, at one time consisted of as many as five.

For most of its early history, Nepal was never independent but was considered at best a puppet state and part of some of the larger Indian empires.

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
Shiro wanted me to split India into three civs, Nepal is one, what we aren't sure about is the other too. You seem to know alot about this type of thing Blue so I'll ask you..;)
These are South Asian Civs (Pre-Mughal) (note that the country of India is a colonial invention; South Asia has approximately the land area of Europe and something like 100 extant ethnic groups).

Ghandara/Bactria/Kushan Empire (major cultural link to Silk Road/Middle East/Graeco-Romans)
Harappan/Indus Valley (oldest; more extensive than Mesopotamia)
Tibet
Nepal (includes Ghurka (sp?) tribal area and Sakya's (Buddha's ethnic group))
Maurya's or Gupta's (similar area, Asoka was a Maurya, probably the most important pre-Mughal king)
Bengalis (Bangladesh)
Rajastanis (fierce desert warriors)
Cholas
Tamils (the dark-skinned Dravidians)
Sinhalese (Ceylon/Sri Lanka)

there are many, many lesser tribes/cultures that would make good names for the barbarians.

Obviously this list is too many for your scenario. A briefer list would include Tibet, Nepal (which at its greatest extent included the NE of the subcontinent), The Maurya's (have to have Asoka for the time-period Shirou has in mind), either the Tamils or the Sinhalese. I just did a quick double check against the map in post #1; my choice is pretty close to what you initially thought.

7ronin said:
There are probably five major Indian nation states from 100 to 600 A.D. with perhaps ten minor ones, many of them collections or confederacies of smaller kingdoms.
Conquest was considered an essential part of kingship in Brahmanic culture*; this meant something different to them than what we think of as conquest. A conquered king usually paid tribute and was reconfirmed on his throne as a local governor. With Everybody trying to conquer someone else what's major or minor can get very confusing, especially on any time-scale longer than the lifetime of a single king. Their idea of a confederacy is more like NATO than like the CSA.

* The Horse Sacrifice might make a pretty decent Wonder: A ritually blessed white horse was set free to wander wherever it wanted for a year. The king's army would follow it around. The idea was that whatever city they encountered would have to submit. By the end of the year the king could declare himself Chakravartin (World Emperor). Could be one of the military-related wonders.

Sorry for the triple post; but these are three seperate topics; maybe it will make it easier for anyone who wants to carry on a particular discussion.

As to Bharata vs. Sind/Hind/Indus: Hindu Nationalists and their ilk sometimes refer to Greater Bharata, meaning the whole cultural hegemony from Ghandara to Bali (including SE Asia). The name comes from the semi-mythical Bharat clan who were the mutual antagonists in the Mahabharata. The Sind/India name in classical times (Graeco-Roman) only ever referred to the region surrounding the Indus Valley. By a peculiarity of history this falls entirely within modern Pakistan, not India at all. One of the greatest political problems in India to this day is stronger regional/ethnic/denominational loyalty than identification with the nation as a whole. Think of an EU where Basques, Bosnians, Samis, Ulstermen, etc. were both more numerous and more politically powerful. Even moderate Tamils, for example, would identify themselves neither with Sinhalese nor Pakistanis.

edit: My reference to Hindu Nationalists is not meant in any way as derogatory; I only use them as an example of those who strongly and broadly identify their culture, in the same way that an English nationalist might see Australia, Canada, and the USA as part of Greater Britain.

Regardless, We don't need a half a maillion southern asian civs.

Swoggy, can you post your current and offical civ list?

Also, I'll have a pictograph of the unit lines after I get Civ Three installed on me computer here. I'll say right now that the unit graphics I use in the picture are by no means the final graphics. I'm just using them (and thier names) for convience.

Top Bottom