1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Battlefield Illuria: Classic Warlords FFH

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Scenarios' started by Starship, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Starship

Starship Chieftain

Battlefield Illuria 1.2r

A scenario for Fall From Heaven 1.00f, based on the classic turn based strategy game Warlords.

1.2r a few final tweaks here and there make this a pretty well balanced and entertaining play. Have fun!

*Please note that on page 6 strategyonly has posted a map only version of this scenario for download, round of applause, and it should be compatible with FfH2! I will be redressing this scenario shortly, but will be working on new maps for a little while. Have fun, and a big thank you to strategyonly.

Introduction

Welcome to the land of Illuria.

These are dark times. Long ago the greatest war Illuria has ever known raged without check, and in the end, the High King was cast down with fire and brimstone. The destruction of his lands was so thorough, so complete, that not a living soul within a hundred miles was left to bear witness. Some say that hell itself rose up to swallow the High King, but none living no for sure.

It is almost a full generation since the apocalypse broke the world, and a new spring is coming to this land of isolated duchies and fiefdoms. The old ways are done, a new day is dawning.

The Cult of the Emperor, the House of the One god for over two millenia, has waned until it is almost no more. The priest's pleas for assistance have fallen on deaf ears for too long, and only a handful of faithful remain in all the realm. The peoples of Illuria are returning to their ancient faiths of old, outlawed by the High Kings in ages past, but some have heard the whispers of new Gods that have come from beyond to claim the lost souls of the faithless.

The strongest Barons, Lords, and High Houses of the age that came before are cobbling together their resources, and have slowly begun to claw their way into this new age, amassing power and influence. There is only one thought in the minds of such ambitious creatures. Who will be the next? Which faction will have the might to climb over their rivals, and be proclaimed High King?

So the time has come, and a new age is at hand. Take control of one of the eight emerging powers, and begin your quest to claim the High Throne of Illuria for your people. It is time to bring the sword and flame to your enemies for king and country. It is a time of Warlords.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Factions

Ke-nan (the Horse Peoples) A proud human people of the open plain noted for their mastery of horse, the arcane arts, and their wide independent streak. Their herds produce the finest horses in all of Illuria. At the time of the breaking they took in the last survivors of the Emperor's BattleMage Legion, near the wilderness of Froikh. This act of kindness almost single handedly preserved the accumulated arcane knowledge of the age before, as the Imperial Wizard Academy was destroyed along with everything else in the horrors of those black days. The spread of this mystical knowledge, and the mastery of the equine has made this faction a force to be reckoned with. They are sworn enemies of Nekron's host of Bane, and their nefarious twisting of life and the mana flow.

Ironfist (the Khazarak Dwarves) The foremost of the hardy Dwarven peoples, the first peoples of Illuria, and skilled in the ways of metal and earth. Led by fearless Clanleader Ironfist the Khazarak dwarves dream of a united dwarven hegemony that spans the Iron mountains of central Illuria. Their ancestral home. The dwarven people labor with love and thrive in their stratified Guild society. The weapons, tools, armor, and jewelry of Khazarak are surpassed by no others. Dwarves have a superior constitution, make formiddable enemies, and have been known to march for days at a time without stopping to rest. They are sworn enemies to the twisted Dark Elves of the Selentine coast who raid their lands enslaving their peoples, the worst of abonimations in Dwarvish culture.

Meandor (the Selentine Dark Elves) Those who came from the sea. The remnants of an elven fleet blown by sea and storm to the Dark Woods of the North. When contact with the Elven court was finally reestablished many years later, something was not right with the children of the forest. The elves of the North had filed their teeth, their eyes were completely black, they smelled of sea salt no matter how many times they washed, and their hair no longer grew. Some say they are mad, twisted, engage in canibalism, and that their heart words chitter with insanity. They are sworn enemies of the squat earth peoples whom they enslave to toil in their mines, deep in the dark heart of the Blackwood.

Empress Julia (the Elvallie Heartland Elves) Steeped in a rich culture song, dance, art, and music, the Heartland elves are surely the fairest of Illuria's inhabitants. The beauty of elvish women is said to have driven men mad. Elves are infamous for the arrogance and aloufness towards others of lesser races. Empress Julia is the last surviving link to the line of the High King, though by distant relation only. The heartland elves are the sworn enemies of the Storm Horde tribes who ever encroach on Elven lands cutting and burning the ancient forest for timber and firewood with their expanding population. Through botched negotiation the elves are also being denied the goods and trade that the sea brings. This is an insult that the Elves cannot accept as the very ports they inhabit were built by the Elves in the pre Imperial era.

Azktor (the the Orc tribes of Kor) Nasty brutish uncivilized mongrels who live for making war, and only respect the strength of an axe arm. The Orc tribes of Kor are but the strongest of many Orc tribes that inhabit the Eastern hinterlands. Azktor is the brother of Orthus. Azktor the eldest and strongest took his place as Warchief by defeating his father in single combat, and the younger Orthus seeing his brother's prowess knew he could not defeat him. Orthus left the tribe with a few close followers, and set off to conquer his own lands. Orcs are noted for their smell, their green skin, and their foul tempers. Orcs are the most dominant of the, "lesser," races, and are known to ally or subjugate tribes of hill giants, minotaurs, gnolls, and wolf riding goblins. Orcs of Kor are the sworn enemies of the Order of the Syrian Knight Brotherhood, who come to their lands and burn their villages, and spit those that they call heathen.

Anon (the Syrian Knight Brotherhood) The last vestige of the Imperial Army and the Imperial faith. Yet the voice that answers the prayers from the High House of the One God is not as it was. Following the apocalyptic events a generation earlier the One God chose a small boy, the son of the High King's last surviving General to here his words. The boy's name was Anon, and he would be raised by his father's lieutenants as the General died just a few years after the apocalyptic events that brought down the High King. Some say suicide, from the shame of not dying for the Emperor as he had sworn to do. Others say plague. When his father passed Anon was raised in the military tradition by his father's lieutenants, and was groomed for leadership. Many years later he would rise to guide the legionary remnant, and proclaim that he had heard the new voice of the One God. Thus the last vestiges of the imperial legion was transformed into the Syrian Knight Brotherhood. Some call them fanatics, they call them blasphemers. No longer is the one god the voice of benevolence, and he no longer answers the calls from priests of old. The One God has been transformed through the fire of the apocalypse, and transfers fury and righteous fervor to the militant followers of the Brotherhood. The Syrian Knight Brotherhood is the sworn enemy of the Orcs of Kor whom they must remove to bring the light of God's word and civilization into the darkness of Eastern hinterlands.

Vulgon (the Minotaur Storm Horde tribes) The beast peoples, orcs, minotaurs, gnolls, goblins, and hill giants have long been pressed into service from indigenous local tribes, or imported from the Eastern hinterlands, for labor in the imperial navy. However, during the events that culminated in the apocalypse the oppressed rose up to defy their masters. The beast peoples through off their shackles, and through the officers overboard after being inspired by Vulgon One Eye. Vulgon had the audacity to break his shackles, take control of a Queen of the Line, sail right into Storm Harbor, burn the fleet, and take the city. He leads the motley crew even still, as minotaurs have been known to live several hundred years. The coastal cities were sacked, the imperials driven out, and have since become refuge to a wide variety of peoples and outlaws. This faction is most noted for their piracy, and old imperial galleys still sail the coasts of Illuria looting, burning, plundering, and pillaging. The Minotaur Storm Horde is the sworn enemy of the Elvallie Heartland Elves who are currently seeking to retake their ancient ports, and cleanse the coast of the lesser races.

Nekron (Lord Bane's Legion of the Damned) Nekron was once known by another name, Lord Bane. He was High King's Lord General, and was a powerful mage. Whatever he once was, he is now a terrible and powerful lich, and goes by the name Nekron. Some say it was his betrayal that led to the apocalypse, and that he was cursed by the One God. Others say that he made a bargain with a Demon Lord rather than die, because he so coveted his own life. Whatever the case Nekron leads an army of the dead that still wears the torn, burnt, and tattered colors of the old Imperial Army. Little else is known about the horrors that brew in the North except that travellers that go in, don't come back. Nekron Lord Bane's Legion of the Damned is the sworn enemy of Kenan and the horsepeoples who it is said harbor the secret to the magic that would undo the Black lord.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A special thanks to the FFH team for making a great mod, and also to Kael who helped me clean this beast up.

The download:

View attachment Battlefield Illuria 1.2r.zip

Install to:

My Computer/ Drive C / Documents & Settings / Owner / My Documents / My Games/ Sid Meirer's Civilzation 4 / Saves / World Builder

At least that's where I have it, and it works just fine.

This scenario is compatible with FFH 1.00f, and needs to be this version. If you play with an older version you might miss the no settlers setting, and Orthus may appear randomly.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Note: AI starts at NOBLE, I recommend playing at Prince or Monarch, you will get a much better game.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All feedback is very welcome, and I hope you enjoy. This was a labor of love for me as this is a spin on the first turnbased strategy game I ever played when I was just a wee boy.

Starship

2. Starship

Starship Chieftain

What's new with Battlefield Illuria: Classic Warlords FFH....

It's now 1.2r!

A final touching here and there make this scenario a lot of fun.

The elephants have been removed, and replaced with longbowman. I couldn't get them to just stay in their castle.

The elven mages have been given Woodsman II.

I downgraded a few more castles here and there.

A big thank you to everyone who has left feedback. It has helped immensely in creating what I hope is a pretty polished and well balanced scenario. It started pretty rough, but has cleaned up pretty well. This will probably be my last release for ffh 1.0 series, as 2.0 is on the horizon. Very exciting. I am looking forward to an awesome ffh 2.0 release for this scenario sometime in the coming months, and hope everyone that has chipped in to help a great 1.0 will help the next time around.

PLEASE HELP ME MAKE THIS BETTER BY PLAYING AND LEAVING FEEDBACK. I used to ghost too.

I am commited to make the best Classic Warlords scenario possible, and will stop at nothing to make you call in sick to work.

Things that will make this a better Scenario.....

True hero units.

Bridge tile upgrades - Boats under, Units over, at least three tiles in length.

Swamp terrain tiles - Ugly and movement sucking

Quest sites more along the lines of the ones in the original Warlords game.

Units: First Dragons, Then Orcs and Minotaurs, then every other fantasy unit you can dream of.

The Warlords XP

& of course FFH 2.0 when it's all smoothed out.

3. Starship

Starship Chieftain

Some screenshots....

Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG

A look at starting positions.

Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

The citadels of Fire and Ice.

Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

The blasted imperial wastes.

4. Gileyal

Gileyal Chieftain

Hope I didn't land on a reserved spot. Looks interesting. I will play and update.

Just curious - did you also fiddle around with the relationships of the parties? i.e. will the enemies automatically hate each other?

Thanks! Nice work.

5. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Nice. I hope to see a lot of scenarios coming out for this awesome mod.

Gileyal, I doubt you took a reserved spot since it was 12 hours later. ;)

6. MacV

MacV Chieftain

Fantastic work. Just started playing my second game with Ironfist, the first one ended badly with werewolves ramaging the map. Great fun:goodjob:

7. Landmonitor

Landmonitor Chieftain

Oh man! I'm so glad someone finally did this! We had a whole bunch of games on the Amiga I'd never played and a friend and I would randomly choose one once in awhile. We found Warlords at around 8:00 pm and played it until it was time to go to the lake at 9:00 am the next day... that was the first time I ever stayed up the entire night for a video game. I'm giving this a shot tonight for sure.

8. Landmonitor

Landmonitor Chieftain

How big is the map? Illuria was pretty big...

9. Starship

Starship Chieftain

Mac V - I'm glad you like the game. Even though the scenario is designed on the Prince level it is very challenging. I would venture to say that the dwarves have the hardest start as well being smack in the middle of everything. Originally they got wiped off the map almost every time, so I toned down some of the more nasty barbs, wwolves being the number one problem. Then I decided I liked the wwolves too much so I beefed up the dwarves while only moderately toning down the werewolves. Let me know if they (ww's) are too obscene. I can take them down another peg or so if necessary.

Woodelf - Thanks. I hope you enjoy it. After this one is all tweaked just right I'm going to do an advanced war scenario. Think WW2 for FFH.

Gileyal - Thanks. I'm looking forward to your feedback. Yes the sworn enemy of each faction is at a starting - 100 modifier. Though you don't start at war, they do hate your guts. All other factions start out on a moderate + simply because if you can help them they're willing to listen, it is the dark ages, and friends of any kind are welcome.

Landmonitor - Yep. It was a great game, and the one that made me love TBS games. I hope I was able to do it justice. The original game didn't have much of a story line so I just developed a simple one. A few other notable differences....No swamp tiles - I'm really hoping someone might do one eventually....No bridges - Civ4 really needs a tile add on for this. Land units over, sea units over. I'm not going to go into how to do it or make it work, but something like this is needed. As a result I've created a lock channel system that hopefully increases both warfare and diplomacy.

Landmonitor - This scenario uses the large map default. I tried standard first, and then huge, but after trying those standard was just right. Kidding aside, Illuria is still pretty big, and still very much has that epic feel.

* One other note. I really want to find a way to disable settler production. If anyone knows how...please let me know.

Starship

10. Stellan_87

Stellan_87 Chieftain

Well nice map

But the Barbarians!! i can handle them but the Ai can't it was, me and the elves and two other left!! And the game had barely started. So you probably need to decrease Ai difficulity level ... or make them stronger.

11. Starship

Starship Chieftain

Stellan 87 - Thanks for the feedback. That is actually a pretty great irregularity. Did it just happen in the one game? I play tested through turn 200at least 25 times, and I've never seen that many civs go down. I'll tweak it some, and release a new version tomorrow. Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

Starship

12. Shqype

Shqype Shqyptar

Hmmm... where'd you get the name Illuria? It's kind of misleading :p

13. babakahmadi

babakahmadi Chieftain

I think I may be missing something here; when I load the scenario, I get the standard civs as options, and then I start with a warior and a settler -- I have the latest patch installed -- what gives please?

14. Starship

Starship Chieftain

Hey Shqype - It's actually the name of the realm from the original Warlords game. I guess I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. It was suggested that Classic Warlords FFH was too misleading b/c of the forth coming expansion pack, so....that's why I chose Battlefield Illuria. I'm actually not too picky about the name, as long it's followed by : Classic Warlords FFH.

In fact I'm open to for suggestions for the name.

To one and all please submit suggestions for final naming. One condition, play the scenario and let me know what you think.

15. Starship

Starship Chieftain

I've just finished another rebalance and tweaking session. I'll be releasing the update tomorrow.

As it stands....

Ravenous werewolves of the world have been reduced from 5 to 2. I still want the possibility of an overrun by horrible flesh eating monsters, but I don't want it to happen often. I think you will still find that the barbs (actually in this mod independent city states for the most part, with small in the field armies) are still challenging, but not dominant. As is intended.

Also the faction starting lists have been cranked up another notch.

Kenan - 2 archers, 2 mages, 2 horsemen, 2 mercenaries, worker

Ironfist - 6 dwarven warriors, 1 stone warden, 1 stone golem, 1 scout

Meandor - 6 elven warriors, 2 lunatics, 1 worker

Empress Julia - 6 elven warriors, 1 ranger w/ hawk, 1 priest of leaves, 1 worker

Azktor - 1 hill giant, 6 axemen, 4 wolves, 1 worker

Anon - 4 archers, 2 horsemen, 1 crusader, 1 paramander, 1 worker

Vulgon - 2 hill giants, 5 axemen, 1 scout, 1 galley, 1 worker

Nekron - 6 skeletons, 2 diseased corpses, 1 scout, 1 worker

In short the barbs have been taken down about 1 peg in difficulty and players have been put up one peg.

16. Starship

Starship Chieftain

babakahmadi - You need to load the Fall From Heaven Mod first. To do so: select advanced from the initial launch screen / then load a mod/ then Fall From Heaven....then the game will restart (should have the FFH civ screen and music)....then single player/ play scenario....etc...

If you don't have Fall From Heaven or FFH 1.00 c, or d....just go to the mod section and download from there.

Hope you enjoy it.

Starship

17. babakahmadi

babakahmadi Chieftain

Tanx much! It works fine now.

18. Good Sauce

Good Sauce (TM)

Havent played it at all yet, but i did take some time last night to look it over in worldbuilder. looks very interesting. i've been working on my own scenario for FFH and i hope i can get it to function as well as yours seems to.
    i especially like what you've done with choke points, although im not certain the AI will understand their importance... oh well. will start a game as soon as you put out your update.

19. Landmonitor

Landmonitor Chieftain

First off: Thank you for changing the werewolves. I played three (!) times as Elvallie and they decimated me around turn 50 twice and around turn 90 once. I actually managed to trick a greater werewolf into taking a city (I'm so clever!) to allow the Ranger to attack and I killed the Greater werewolf! Three turns later another one showed up at my capital...

Second: The name. I think "Battlefield Illuria" is great. I just finished finals and bought battlefield 2 to celebrate, which was a little stupid since I forgot how much Civ IV rules! Oh well, its going to be a long time until my next batch of finals!

Consider this a vote for "Battlefield Illuria"

Also, is it just me (I've only played Elvallie and no one else), or is the map quite a bit different?... I seem to remember a long north-to-south river near the Elvallie capital and more separation between the Giants/Elves/Sirians. Also, I hope you kept that lonely island to the Northwest and the Citadels of fire and ice (I'll find out!).

Finally, I found a town and a fortress lying around, but they weren't goodie huts, which would have been appropriate for a Warlords mod. Anyway, enough talk! I work tomorrow and I must play now.

20. Kael

Kael Chieftain

This is fantastic. I added a link in the first post of the Fall from Heaven thread to this one so that people can find and play this.

Thanks for doing this Starship!