Battleground God!

Amenhotep7

Spartiate
http://www.philosophersnet.com/games/god.htm

How rational are your beliefs about God? I won the "TPM Service Medal", which basically means that my beliefs about God are well-thought out, with some "logical contradictions".

Before you play: "Direct Hit" is what they call a contadiction in your beliefs, and "biting a bullet" is when you assume a view which by many is considered abnormal.

Posted before. I played it before. Don't remember much. Let me try again...

Status: Hmm, the game seems to interpret my wording creatively. I got one hit and bit one bullet on my first try. After understanding the wording, my second try was plain sailing.

Congratulations!

You have been awarded the TPM medal of distinction! This is our second highest award for outstanding service on the intellectual battleground.

The fact that you progressed through this activity being hit only once and biting no bullets suggests that your beliefs about God are well thought out and almost entirely internally consistent.
:)

Though I'm not completely in agreement with how question 15 and 17 was asked. I think it comes from different definitions of the word "justifiable".

You have reached the end!

Congratulations! You have made it to the end of this activity.

You took zero direct hits and you bit 3 bullets. The average player of this activity to date takes 1.39 hits and bites 1.11 bullets. 246697 people have so far undertaken this activity.

Click the link below for further analysis of your performance and to see if you've won an award.

My full analysis

Congratulations!
You have been awarded the TPM medal of honour! This is our highest award for outstanding service on the intellectual battleground.

The fact that you progressed through this activity neither being hit nor biting a bullet suggests that your beliefs about God are internally consistent and very well thought out.

A direct hit would have occurred had you answered in a way that implied a logical contradiction. You would have bitten bullets had you responded in ways that required that you held views that most people would have found strange, incredible or unpalatable. However, you avoided both these fates - and in doing so qualify for our highest award. A fine achievement!

So why is there all this suffering? If God cannot prevent it, it would seem she is not all-powerful. If God doesn't want to stop it, it would seem she is not all-loving. If God doesn't know about it, she can't be all-knowing.

Is it a lack of love that prevents your parents from stopping you from riding a bike for the first time and falling on your ass? It is lack of knowledge? If you were sheltered from everything that could cause you pain, you would never learn anything and there would be no such thing as life. If there were no bad things in life, then what have you? If every day was a sunny day, then what is a sunny day?

When God created us, he gave us free will. Free will means nothing if there is no choice between good and bad. If all of your choices are good ones, then what is the purpose of free will?

I cannot begin to explain the reasons why things are the way they are. I don't have all of the answers. My heart tells me that I am not meant to and that God does.

I have read further, but alas the remainder of the text follows the same principles. If God has the ability to do X then why not do it? Or why does he allow Y to happen? I do believe that need to spend time in the CFC-OT for proper schooling on how to debunk the various God Theories.

What is the max times that you can get a direct hit?

I went forward and took part in the "Battleground God" part of the website. I did not run into a "bullet" until question eleven. What is interesting to note is that the notice stated that I did not, in fact, contradict myself in any manner that they could percieve. The question was along the lines of "Do you believe that people dying of disease do so for some higher purpose?". I answered "yes". From what I could gather, they just seemed not to understand what that higher purpose could be and therefore could not believe that it existed.

In the very next question, again, I've come across another bullet. Simply put, the question was "Do you believe that God has the power to reverse things so that sin is right and right is sin?" I answered "Yes". The bullet had apparently come this time with the shocking news that I was somehow contradicting myself.

You claimed earlier that any being which it is right to call God must want there to be as little suffering in the world as possible. But you say that God could make it so that everything now considered sinful becomes morally acceptable and everything that is now considered morally good becomes sinful. What this means is that God could make the reduction of suffering a sin... yet you've said that God must want to reduce suffering. There is a way out of this, but it means biting a bullet.

The problem is that although God could make sin to be considered morally good, God has, so far, not done so. Furthermore, if God were to invert the world, suffering would not be suffering, but in fact, enjoyment.

On forward to question 14 which came along the lines of, "If no evidence exists to prove that God does not exist, then is Atheism a matter of faith?". I answered "Yes" and came up with another bullet.

Earlier you agreed that it is rational to believe that the Loch Ness monster does not exist if there is an absence of strong evidence or argument that it does. No strong evidence or argument was required to show that the monster does not exist - absence of evidence or argument was enough. But now you claim that the atheist needs to be able to provide strong arguments or evidence if their belief in the non-existence of God is to be rational rather than a matter of faith.

In this case, the two questions are incomparable. My belief that the Loch Ness Monster does not exist due to lack of evidence is still a matter of faith just as it is for atheists who feel the same about God. There is absolutely no evidence in either case with exception to the lack thereof, so therefore any judgement made is a matter of faith and perception. With the question of Loch Ness Monsters, the subject in question is a biological organism that could only exist within the small confines of the Loch and on the bordering shoreline. With the question of God, it is generally believed that the subject, were God to exist, would have unlimited power and all of that, therefor God's existence cannot be as easily dismissed due to lack of evidence as it were to dismiss that of the Loch Ness Monster.

Onto question 16. "Can God make circles have four sides and 1+1 = 72?". I answered "Yes".

In saying that God has the freedom and power to do that which is logically impossible (like creating square circles), you are saying that any discussion of God and ultimate reality cannot be constrained by basic principles of rationality. This would seem to make rational discourse about God impossible. If rational discourse about God is impossible, there is nothing rational we can say about God and nothing rational we can say to support our belief or disbelief in God. To reject rational constraints on religious discourse in this fashion requires accepting that religious convictions, including your religious convictions, are beyond any debate or rational discussion. This is to bite a bullet.

This I can agree on, somewhat. Again we run into "If God could do X then our world would not make sense and blah blah blah blah blah." The problem is that God did not do make circles with four sides and did not make 1+1=72. Furthermore, if God were to change the math, 1+1 would still equal 2, in a relative sense, because our free will created the language to express God's measurements. In the end, however, it is only through feeling that one can determine whether they believe or not. All of the discussion and debate in the world will only bring you to a point where to search your inner feelings for the truth.

----- It goes on and on. I could debunk their crap all day. I get more challenge out of CFC-OT'ers. -----

On question 17. Something like, "It is justifiable to believe in the existence of God despite the lack of evidence in the external world." I answered, "Yes". Again...

Earlier you said that it is not justifiable to base one's beliefs about the external world on a firm, inner conviction, paying no regard to the external evidence, or lack of it, for the truth or falsity of this conviction, but now you say it's justifiable to believe in God on just these grounds. That's a flagrant contradiction!

Again, they are trying to fit God into what they view as the external world. They apparently feel that if God exists, he must do so within the "external world" before any other place. Again, I say God is not limited to existing within his own creation. That is just silly.

My overall opinion of website is as follows:

-- There are holes in their rationale(s) big enough to fit Jerome Bettis through. I get more challenge from a CFC-OT'er.

-- They want you to believe that God must exist within and under the laws of his own creation (Earth, the Universe, etc). Even most Athiests here must agree that this is not required for God to exist.

-- In the end, what I can conclude about these people is that they believe that if they cannot understand God and God's rationale, that God must not exist. I find this highly condescending. It tells me that they think too highly of themselves. "If I cannot understand it, it must not be true."

stratego said:
What is the max times that you can get a direct hit?

I took three bitten bullets and two direct hits, according to them.

Yay I got the good medal. I bit the bullet on Peter Sutcliff, but I realised the logic behind it in that it is justifiable for him to believe whatever he likes, but that doesn't mean I have to accept his actions. Arr.

You have been awarded the TPM service medal! This is our third highest award for outstanding service on the intellectual battleground.

The fact that you progressed through this activity without suffering many hits and biting no bullets suggests that whilst there are inconsistencies in your beliefs about God, on the whole they are well thought-out.

The direct hits you suffered occurred because some of your answers implied logical contradictions. At the bottom of this page, we have reproduced the analyses of your direct hits. You would have bitten bullets had you responded in ways that required that you held views that most people would have found strange, incredible or unpalatable. However, this did not occur, and consequently, you qualify for our third highest award. Well done!

Click here if you want to review the criteria by which hits and bullets are determined.

Direct Hit 1

You answered "True" to questions 10 and 14.

These answers generated the following response:

You've just taken a direct hit! Earlier you agreed that it is rational to believe that the Loch Ness monster does not exist if there is an absence of strong evidence or argument that it does. No strong evidence or argument was required to show that the monster does not exist - absence of evidence or argument was enough. But now you claim that the atheist needs to be able to provide strong arguments or evidence if their belief in the non-existence of God is to be rational rather than a matter of faith.

The contradiction is that on the first ocassion (Loch Ness monster) you agreed that the absence of evidence or argument is enough to rationally justify belief in the non-existence of the Loch Ness monster, but on this occasion (God), you do not.

Direct Hit 2

You answered "True" to questions 3 and 5, and "False" to Question 16.

These answers generated the following response:

You've just taken a direct hit! You say that God does not have the freedom and power to do impossible things such as create square circles, but in an earlier answer you said that any being which it is right to call God must be free and have the power to do anything. So, on your view, God is not free and does not have the power to do what is impossible. This requires that you accept - in common with most theologians, but contrary to your earlier answer - that God's freedom and power are not unbounded. He does not have the freedom and power to do literally anything.

Ofcourse I can defend the last contradiction. A square is a definition of something with four equal points and four equal sides. A circle is by definition something with no points and a equal length of all its radians. (or something else) God can't make a square circle because they are two different things. He can change a square into a circle though. (or change the definition of square)

Perfection said:
Congratulations!
You have been awarded the TPM medal of honour! This is our highest award for outstanding service on the intellectual battleground.

The fact that you progressed through this activity neither being hit nor biting a bullet suggests that your beliefs about God are internally consistent and very well thought out.

A direct hit would have occurred had you answered in a way that implied a logical contradiction. You would have bitten bullets had you responded in ways that required that you held views that most people would have found strange, incredible or unpalatable. However, you avoided both these fates - and in doing so qualify for our highest award. A fine achievement!
Let me guess, you selected "please select" for each question and just hit submit ;)

Mise said:
Let me guess, you selected "please select" for each question and just hit submit ;)
Nope, I did it the non cheater way

Congratulations!
You have been awarded the TPM medal of distinction! This is our second highest award for outstanding service on the intellectual battleground.

The fact that you progressed through this activity without being hit and biting only one bullet suggests that your beliefs about God are internally consistent and well thought out.

A direct hit would have occurred had you answered in a way that implied a logical contradiction. The bitten bullet occurred because you responded in a way that required that you held a view that most people would have found strange, incredible or unpalatable. However, because you bit only one bullet and avoided direct hits completely you still qualify for our second highest award. A good achievement!

It was 16 or 17 that was a bit tricky.

The fact that you progressed through this activity without being hit and biting very few bullets suggests that your beliefs about God are internally consistent and well thought out.

A direct hit would have occurred had you answered in a way that implied a logical contradiction. The bitten bullets occurred because you responded in ways that required that you held views that most people would have found strange, incredible or unpalatable. However, because you bit only two bullets and avoided direct hits completely you still qualify for our second highest award. A good achievement!

10 characters.

Battleground Analysis
Congratulations!

Jesus ain't got nothing on me.

here were my excellent answers

god exists... don't know.

No one has yet been able to provide strong evidence either way as to wether a deity exists or not

If God does not exist then there is no basis for morality. fasle

obviously secular reasons to behave exist

Any being which it is right to call God must be free to do anything false

the only thing a deity must do is create the universe

Any being which it is right to call God must want there to be as little suffering in the word as is possible.false

Any being which it is right to call God must have the power to do anything.false

Evolutionary theory maybe false in some matters of detail, but it is essentially true.TRUE

your ancestor was a hairy ape like creature, get over it.

It is justifiable to base one's beliefs about the external world on a firm, inner conviction, regardless of the external evidence, or lack of it, for the truth or falsity of these convictions.false

sticking you fingers in you ears and shouting I'm not listening gets no one anywhere.

Any being that it is right to call God must know everything that there is to know.false

all a deity must do is create the universe

Torturing innocent people is morally wrong.true

what else is there to say

If, despite years of trying, no strong evidence or argument has been presented to show that there is a Loch Ness monster, it is rational to believe that such a monster does not exist.true

the burden of proof lies on the one making assertions generally. of course one cannot really go out and search for god which is why strong atheism doesn't really appeal to me.

People who die of horrible, painful diseases need to die in such a way for some higher purpose.false

obviously

If God exists she could make it so that everything now considered sinful becomes morally acceptable and everything that is now considered morally good becomes sinful.false

sin is a human concept controlled by humans

It is foolish to believe in God without certain, irrevocable proof that God exists.false

strong evidence will do just fine, especially since you cannot really prove anything.

As long as there are no compelling arguments or evidence that show that God does not exist, atheism is a matter of faith, not rationality.false

duh.

The serial rapist Peter Sutcliffe had a firm, inner conviction that God wanted him to rape and murder prostitutes. He was, therefore, justified in believing that he was carrying out God's will in undertaking these actions.false

firm inner convictions with no evidence may help you sleep at night, but they are not justifiable

If God exists she would have the freedom and power to create square circles and make 1 + 1 = 72.false

all a deity must do is create the universe

It is justifiable to believe in God if one has a firm, inner conviction that God exists, regardless of the external evidence, or lack of it, for the truth or falsity of the conviction that God exists.false

Top Bottom