Battles animation

Wardog

Warlord
I watched a video of a Civ 4 battle yesterday, and the animation looked like and Age of Empires 2 one. Very boring.

Does anybody know if it's going to be just an optional animation type, or did they definitely change Civ series on this?

You think its boring??

An improvement over civ3 i'll tell you that. And i think there better than AoE 2.

:coffee:

Not having the necessary patience for waiting out the downloading of an animation or the desire to shell out (US) $60-70 per month of the available broadband connections that'd enable that download to be sped up to where I don't have to wait, I'll have to depend on the description given here (or sneaking a preview animation on the demo PCs available at local computer stores). Even so, I've often wondered what the significance of having those multiple warrior figures were in the preview shots that I saw. It'd seem that my guess about each of them representing the hit point of the whole "unit" is true.

After a battle when you lose say 2/3 people in one unit, when this unit recovers do the 2 people come back?

yes. the amount of people is equal to the amount of hit points it has.

ThePersian said:
i find that a bit odd.

But "what you see is what you get.";)
I think this fits perfectly.

I just want the battles to be a bit slower. Not as slow as Civ3, but slower than they are now. I hope you have a slider or other speed settings to manipulate this, or can do so by tinkering with files. Movement too should be a bit slower (for my tastes.)

I thinkn it would be nice if we could see the units block a blow with shield or weapon if the hit "missed" or whatever the term is in Civ 4. And when it hits, the weapon actually makes contact. Sparks flying. Horsemen actually gallop back and forth and ride down their opponents. Etc. No blood, of course. But I mean, honestly, computer technology is advanced enough to give us animations as basic as these. Why not?

North King said:
I thinkn it would be nice if we could see the units block a blow with shield or weapon if the hit "missed" or whatever the term is in Civ 4. And when it hits, the weapon actually makes contact. Sparks flying. Horsemen actually gallop back and forth and ride down their opponents. Etc. No blood, of course. But I mean, honestly, computer technology is advanced enough to give us animations as basic as these. Why not?
it might put a drain on the comps resources. there is a lot more that happens in a fight that we don't see. for instance, the ai might change its strategy. i want a fast intelligent game. if people want fight scenes, they should play Rome - Total War. There you have 3-D fight scenes. Where the outcome of the battle depends on what you do and how you use the surrounding terrain.

Meleager said:
You think its boring??

An improvement over civ3 i'll tell you that. And i think there better than AoE 2.

Yes, I do think it's boring, and I can't see how the new animation for battles would be an "improvement". Improvement on what aspect? On trying to make Civ Series closer to AoE series?

It doesn't smell good. Simplicity was something present since Civ 1, and that's why the Civ Series got so many fans around the world. I would be playing real time strategy games if I cared about animations.

How about a short movie and fireworks over the capital everytime we win a battle? I'm going to send Firaxis an email to suggest this.

I agree with the shorter but they should make a better dynamic in the fighting. It would be hell having long animations when you have 150+ units.

The thing i find odd is now every unit is attack so when one attacks the other the other attacks back it does not defend. I loved the attack defend system. But i am making too much of a deal i sapose i can get use to this new system in time.

I asked this question earlier but no one answerd. Have we heard anything about historical campaigns or are they gona have an expansion again?

Nekkerbee said:
I just want the battles to be a bit slower. Not as slow as Civ3, but slower than they are now. I hope you have a slider or other speed settings to manipulate this, or can do so by tinkering with files. Movement too should be a bit slower (for my tastes.)

Have you tried the land battles in Sid's Pirates!? They work with similar graphics to these and let me tell you that they are _slow_ and get annoying very quickly.

I very much hope for the kind of a speed slider that you mentioned - that would make it possible for those with a slightly slower computer (still beating the published requirements manifold) to actually play the game.

Top Bottom