Battleships overpowered?

Battleships for new island barbarian kills for sure. With indirect fire, battleships wont have to worry about hills or jungles that might get in mcs way.

I don't think Battleships should be upgradeable to missile cruisers, they weren't really a predecessor. IRL battleships often co-existed with missile carrying destroyers and cruisers well into the post-war period and late 20th century. And their unique abilities in-game usually persuade me to keep building them alongside newer ships.

I agree, if they took Missile cruisers and made them
1. Have indirect fire
2. Require Aluminum

Then they would work well as an upgrade for Battleships

Are there any mods out there that allow your aircraft to base themselves in cities of allied/friendly countries? You could do that in Civ 4 and I've no idea why they left it out, if you have massive overseas empire in Civ 5, sometimes the only option is to ferry them on carriers.

And It's pretty frustrating not being able to 'scout' the map with aircraft, you actually have to have a sea or ground unit to act as an observer in order to launch airstrikes. Strategic bombing was also an element that I miss from IV, you could actually wreck an enemy's infrastructure by bombing improvements, i.e strategic bombing was a thing.

And It's pretty frustrating not being able to 'scout' the map with aircraft, you actually have to have a sea or ground unit to act as an observer in order to launch airstrikes.

I miss that mission option, but you not need a sea or ground unit to act as an observer. Stack a fighter with your bombers. Not you can see six hexes out! Spies in your target city also make good forward observers.

Strategic bombing was also an element that I miss from IV, you could actually wreck an enemy's infrastructure by bombing improvements, i.e strategic bombing was a thing.

My understanding is that they took that out because players were so much better at it than the AI.

Upgrading units:
- Warrior to Spearman: you sell old club, buy new spear and keep old people. Hardware is replaced (costs gold) but you keep experience (XP), promotions
- Frigate to Battleship: same. You sell old hardware, rush buy new toys and keep people, crew.

Rush buy:
- when you build stuff with hammers, you can say you build in emreror/king/state controled workshops, factories
- when you rush buy, you can say you hire subcontractors, buy on free market, etc ..

Marines:
- destroyer can capture city
- Marine can capture city and then (after some healing) step out of city and attack, protect, tank vs counter attacking enemy melee and ranged units. DD can't do that.
- any land melee unit can also do that, but marine is a bit better when it comes to 'water'
- not 'must have' units, but not useless

I miss that mission option, but you not need a sea or ground unit to act as an observer. Stack a fighter with your bombers. Not you can see six hexes out! Spies in your target city also make good forward observers.

My understanding is that they took that out because players were so much better at it than the AI.

I guess it was fair to reduce the primacy of aircraft in CIV 4, unless you lots of AA units and fighters, a stack of doom of bombers could turn reduce units to nothing with impunity especially with collateral damage.

But it's OK...artillery and ranged naval units have taken its place.

Top Bottom