1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Bazooka in the Ranged Unit Line?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ferretbacon, Apr 12, 2013.

1. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

There's a problem what ranged/melee and melee/ranged upgrades are lame in the game. That's the reason why they've added Machine guns before and looks like that's why they've added Bazookas now. So my thought is what Anti-tank will still upgrade to helicopters while Macine guns will upgrade to Bazookas, so we'll have 2 anti-tank unit - one fast and hovering and one walking and shooting.

2. Lord Xavius

Lord Xavius Mostly Lurking

Rocketry is (currently) a step in the Fusion branch, that seems like a logical choice.

3. Jabberwockxeno

Jabberwockxeno Prince

I'm hoping that's a mistake. Makes little sense to me.

4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

They could have rearranged the late tech tree too.

5. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Starship Troopers, baby. Man-portable nukes.

6. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

They're blaster launchers and go with the XCOM Squad...

7. Monthar

Monthar Deity

I'll bet it's supposed to be Nuclear Fission (atomic bombs and nuclear power plants), not Fusion (GDR) that unlocks the Bazooka and the XCOM unit unlocks with Fusion. It wouldn't be the first time a reporter got their facts mixed up.

8. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

The bazooka makes no sense at fission either; its development (1930s) was roughly contemporary, but it doesn't utilise any technology relevant to nuclear fission. Since it's only been said to occur along the Fusion branch, there's no reason I'm aware of to imagine it will be associated with any nuclear technology.

9. Monthar

Monthar Deity

If the machine gun is supposed to upgrade to the bazooka than it has to come in the Atomic era to make any sense, since the machine gun is at the end of the modern era.

10. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

If they need fusion, maybe they should be blaster launchers...

11. Securion

Securion Civ Veteran

"bazooka"?
    "BAZOOKA"?!
    Really?!? :shifty:
    They couldn't come up with a proper name for it?
    "OICW Infantry" or anything would be better...

12. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Three words: "giant death robot." If the Bazooka really is tied to Nuclear Fusion, then it's in the same "silly" class as the GDR and XCOM squad.

13. SMA333M

SMA333M Warlord

I think it's an upgrade for Machine Gun... and it's a Sci Fi one. So an entire new future era with units and stuff ? Not bad... but I also want the option to play without it, when I feel like it. They should add an option to choose in each era to stop, not only in each era to start.

14. justinianI

justinianI Chieftain

There are really great mods for this that slow down the passage of years to get a full experience of any era you want to stop in.

15. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Giant Death Robot is a deliberately comic name for a comic unit. "Bazooka" is a common-use slang term applied mainly to WWII and Cold War era personal rocket launchers - it's not a name of a futuristic unit, nor is a post-Machine Gun ranged unit an obviously unnecessary or silly idea (unlike, say, a range 40 future paratrooper). I agree that they should have come up with a better name.