Be serious: Is the world going to be sucked into a black hole?

aimeeandbeatles

watermelon
I'm worried. :(

The leading critic is a Biochemist from Germany, and most Physicist don't think there will be a black hole or of there is one it will collapse within nanoseconds so I'm positive we have nothing to fear.

Well, particles from space collide with the atmosphere all the time at the same speed as the ones in the Hadron Collider experiment. So if there was a real risk of a creation of a black hole, the skies would be full of black holes.

If it was possible for the LHC to destroy the earth in any way, nature would've already destroyed earth several thousand times over.

Thank you. I'm less worried now.

No, it's not.

And if it did happen, you'd be too dead to mind.

People always think that if a microscopic black hole from LHC was an armlength away from them they'd be sucked in instantly. But thats nonsense. It probably wouldn't suck in a single proton.

for comparison: the size of the black hole that might be produced at CERN compared to the size of a respirable dust particle is about the same as the size of that dust particle compared to the size of the universe.

So I really don't see how ppl can be sceared of a black hole of those proportions.

People always think that if a microscopic black hole from LHC was an armlength away from them they'd be sucked in instantly. But thats nonsense. It probably wouldn't suck in a single proton.
Well, the argument is that it would grow gradually - first sucking in things on an atomic scale, but continually growing larger.

I don't think the world's going to end, but I would be curious to know what the effects of a microscopic black hole would be, in the hypothetical case that Hawking radiation didn't exist.

Top Bottom