Be the defender

pillium

Chieftain
I found that attacker always lose out. My veteran knights usually lose to a veteran spearman forting in a city on grassland. The city doesn't have a city wall. I need at least 2 veteran knights to defeat the spearman. Any comment on this?

I know what you mean. It happens to me alot too. When I attack with my modern armor against something like a musketeer I many times lose them too.

I think this game Civ III needs to be helped especially the combat system. If Firaxis would have not a 2-5 hitpoint based system but a 10 based one like Civ II it would occur less.

While I understand in history many examples the defenders always had an advantage, there has also been many times in history when the attackers beat the crud out of defending armies too.
Like Vietnam, the Americans attacked the VC and the casualties were like 50,000 to 1 I think while the vietnamese had a terrain and home territory advantage over the Americans! The same with the Nazis vs. Polish, the Germans blitzkrieged through Poland defenses.

So I think that it should be made fairer, I can accept loseing one or two (not more than two!) archers to a defending spearmen fortified (it should be very badly damaged though) in a metropolis but not 10 knights against spearmen all losing while I still used capapults to soften them up.

I haven't had knights defeated by spearmen to that level.. It happened sometimes, but not _always_.

so, let's see...
spearmen: defense 2
fortified: defense * 1.25
citywalls/city: defense * 1.25 * 1.5

total defense = 3.75

knight's attack: 4

do the rest of the math, and calculate your chances of winning...

next time, bring some catapults or a huge stack of knights to repeatedly weaken the opponent (your knights will survive after all being mobile units...)

The combat system is good as it is (except for air stuff)...

and for the last examples.. look at what the spearmen did to the english knights in braveheart :) (ok it's amovie, but still plausible)

I do have to agree with narmox, the combat (ex. the air stuff) is pretty well set up. Spearmen vs horsemen, the spearmen won alot, because horse's won't charge into spears. And the scene in Braveheart is correct, that is how it happened.

yeah, but my elite modern armour lost to a spearmen, that was pathetic :rolleyes:

Hey...this past year there was an issue regarding the US military and how many members of the army were on welfare...I could see how those folks wouldn't be as motivated to fight and may not succeed agasint a hard, trained group of warrior spearmen...

Okay, maybe not.

Originally posted by jc011
yeah, but my elite modern armour lost to a spearmen, that was pathetic :rolleyes:

I've never seen this happen. Then again, I guess I suck cause my tanks
never met spearmen ;)

OTOH, my tanks have met musketeers and riflemen. And won. And won. And won. Heck I don't even remember my tank completely losing to those, maybe retreating once or twice, but negligible compared to the number of times I attacked.

actually im not that good either, it was on a cheiftan game and the other civs are pathetic when it comes to techs

My tactics are simple. I seldom build more than two or three types of units..

Ancient Times: Archers, Spearmen, Catapults

Medieval Times: Longbowmen, Pikemen/Musketeers, Trebuchets

Industrial age: Riflemen, Cannon

Modern Age: Bombers, Infantry (Occasionally Marines and guerillas)

Bombard, attack, Occupy.

My tactics are simple. I seldom build more than two or three types of units..

Ancient Times: Archers, Spearmen, Catapults

Medieval Times: Longbowmen, Pikemen/Musketeers, Trebuchets

Industrial age: Riflemen, Cannon

Modern Age: Bombers, Infantry (Occasionally Marines and guerillas)

Bombard, attack, Occupy.

Why are you bumping such an old thread?

congrats biggest mump ive seen.

My apologies to the mods. It just that Civ 3 info is relevant to me. I play Civ 3 quite a bit and found it through google.

My apologies to the mods. It just that Civ 3 info is relevant to me. I play Civ 3 quite a bit and found it through google.

Don't feel too bad DrMadd, I read through the first few posts without taking any note of the date until someone mentioned your thread necromancy. It's a fair mistake, but I think they prefer you start a new one.

The worst I ever had was a modern armor losing to a Swiss Mercinary. I documented it in my England game in my story thread. It didn't bother me though because that was their level of tech so I could have bombed them without risk but was too lazy to do so.

What does bother me is when I have an army of, say swordsmen or even mideaval infantry and it loses to a spearman. :p Let's just say I'm not happy with it anymore.

Spearmen are invincible.

Seriously, I think if i built a military comprised exclusively and entirely of spearmen I imagine i would never lose a combat ever ever ever. Maybe not invincible, but I swear there has got to be some sort of hard coding in the game that makes the Spearman's 2 points of defense count as much much more.

Two things will survive the nuclear holocaust: cockroaches and Civ3 AI Spearmen.

Top Bottom