Beaker Landmarks

wydon

Chieftain
Sorry if there is already a thread regarding this. I stepped up to Emperor and I am getting pretty good with my science victories. The strategy that has worked well for me is to go Hanging Gardens then NC, then hit the science techs filling in gaps where needed. I think everything is going great and I might move up to immortal, but before I do that I'd like to know when the community thinks I should hit certain beaker milestones. I usually play standard speed so if you give turns please do so in standard. Here's what I normally do, can I survive on immortal? I play BNW

100 Beakers - by 1AD (Usually 10+ turns after NC)
500 Beakers - by 1400ish (Usually after PS are up)
1000 Beakers - by early 1800 (Rationalism Finshed)
2000 Beakers - If I'm lucky very near the game end

Thanks!

What's your game speed? Better to give turns instead of 1AD. Do you need hanging gardens? Often better to go NC first, then HG. Can be a bit of a pain to get it on Immortal/Deity at all though.

Standard game speed. I am afraid of losing HG; is the growth worth waiting on the NC?

Even if you are playing standard, turn numbers are still really useful if you want helpful responses. Many folks pay no attention to the year and focus solely on the turn number. I, for one, have no idea what turns correspond to 1 AD or the 1400s.

On Emperor, where the AI techs a bit more slowly than on Immortal and Deity, getting HG before NC can make a lot of sense, even if it means delaying NC by 10+ turns (so long as you're still getting NC before turn 85-90).

On Emperor, getting the the HG first is fine. Honestly, even on immortal it would be fine (if you can even get it, and you're not right next to a warmonger) - rushing to the NC may be optimum efficiency, but you can still win with some deviations to optimum.

You won't get the HG on deity, so don't worry about it ;)

Remember, as lovely as that +6 seems from the Hanging Gardens, it's actually less food than 1 internal sea trade route.

On Emperor, getting the the HG first is fine. Honestly, even on immortal it would be fine (if you can even get it, and you're not right next to a warmonger) - rushing to the NC may be optimum efficiency, but you can still win with some deviations to optimum.

You won't get the HG on deity, so don't worry about it ;)

Remember, as lovely as that +6 seems from the Hanging Gardens, it's actually less food than 1 internal sea trade route.

Yeah, I wasn't saying you COULDN'T get Hanging Gardens, just if you want optimum science NC is better, and you have to choose. If you can get it in on Immortal, go for it. Definitely doable on Emperor, but Immortal makes it a bit of a pain. If you really love it you can go on a larger map, less AI go tradition.

But yeah, if you are coastal just use the trade routes for food and build NC earlier. It normally doubles (at least nearly) your bpt early game, so getting it 10-15 turns earlier can mean at least 1 tech more than you would've otherwise.

this question is actually non answerable at thir time, as the fall patch is just kicks in. As for before patch, you can find them by lurking at the strategy and tips section.

I like the HG question. Going to enter a pro vote for HG because it's not just food it's a ~Garden~. HG is fairly essential if you founded off of a river/lake.

Still, it's more appealing if you're grabbing a Great-Engineer wonder (ToA, Petra) in the early game, otherwise you won't have as much need for a Garden until Education. But regular Gardens are expensive and, I find, awkwardly timed - I usually can't finish what I'm working on and knock out a Garden before Universities unlock. Better to get it out of the way.

I won a scientific victory with Poland in 1924 on emperor and did not have 1000 beakers until the last dozen turns or so. And my five cities (four really) were pumping out all they could, with Resesrch Labs etc.

Top Bottom