1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Beard discussion

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, Oct 22, 2014.

1. west india man

west india man Immortal

beards give a combat malus but an intimidation bonus which should help anyway

Kyriakos likes this.
  2. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Rough high school.

3. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

#goals

Kyriakos likes this.
  4. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

NTTIAWWT.

Kyriakos likes this.
  5. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Some more beards:

(probably) greek

(apparently) south slavic

Join the Dark Side

6. Narz

Narz keeping it real

They're good to cover a weak chin.

If your face is good looking better to not hide it under a bunch of scruff (I have the same policy about vaginas)

haroon likes this.
  7. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

A few years back, I spent a couple of months growing a beard, People would remark, "Oh you're growing a beard." Not one said "Oh you're growing a beard, It looks good." So I shaved it off.

Kyriakos likes this.
  8. west india man

west india man Immortal

the trouble is that the worst-looking phase of beard growth comes right after you start growing it, eventually it gets big enough that everyone appreciates it

9. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Disinterested Observer Moderator

I think that a nicely trimmed (short) beard makes a man look distinguished and intelligent. Big or long beards make me think of mountain men, and the intelligence quotient goes down for me...

However, some men can really rock the big beard. If you have the panache to pull it off, why not? But most of the time, big or long beards just make men look unkempt. IMHO, of course.

And of course, it isn't like my opinion really matters, since I don't play for the beard team. :p

Birdjaguar likes this.
  10. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

I've been a solid member of Team Beard for ~20 years with a goatee of variable length. Before that some sort of moustache since it began to grow mid 80s. The first few years were entry level stuff due to lack of growth so I settled with moustache and I still don't see a full beard as a valid option. I assume it'd look (even more) ridiculous which I could take but as it turns red(dish) when longer I'll have to pass. Maybe I'll get back to that when it's grey - with that I could live with.
    Since I left Army the in '88 I've been clean shaven only once and that was due to a bet/promise in '95 when Finland won the ice hockey WC for the first time. When this rare occurance happened second time in 2011 I shaved to start a tradition but as has been the case for past 25 years. with a hair trimmer instead of a razor of any sort.

I'm far too lazy to shave daily so trimming in every few days (or weeks) works fine for me and nobody cares these days whether one is clean shaven or not. Back in the 80s only Don Johnson was cool while unshaven and people who wanted to grow beard went hiding from public for weeks - usually during summer holiday. This was epecially tricky for people who wanted to visit the SU if they had a babyface passport a proper hedge in the face. Usually it still was easier to shave & regrow than argue with Soviet customs with face that didn't much correlate with documents. Fun times.

11. Morty

Morty Prince

Having grown a beard for the first time in my life during lockdown I've been pleasantly surprised at the number of unsolicited e-mails and comments from people/ladies saying how good it looked. I was only doing it for something different to occupy my mind with during lockdown, but I guess I'll probably keep it a little longer.

It has now got to the stage where it's long and wild, so it'll be a trip to the barbers saying "help, I've grown this...what do I do with it now!?"

12. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老任森林

I can't now at all remember ever considering growing a beard. What else I said here I still stand by, and I've come more and more to just see beards as ugly

I don't shave as often as I should though. Right now I've got a bit because I've been to tired to shave due to illness

13. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I first grew a goatee/Van Dyke during my last year of college, after I crashed by bike and got a deep laceration at the base of my chin. I needed stitches and was not allowed to shave that area for almost two months anyway. The hair on my cheeks was at that point much to thin and patchy to consider a full beard.

For the past decade I have generally kept the van dyke neatly trimmed to about 5 mm on the upper lip, 3 mm on the lower lip (occasionally just 1 mm or even shaven clean), and 7 mm on the chin. The mustache and goatee do not connect because nothing grows in the right spot to connect them on one side and on the other side those hairs are so coarse stiff and itchy that I prefer to pluck them. There are also some very stiff little fine pale blond hairs on my lower lip that get really itchy unless I pluck or regularly shave them, but I usually leave the darker brown hairs growing in a triangular soul patch area unconnected to the rest of the beard.

Since the advent of the Coronavirus I quit shaving my cheeks but kept shaving my neck once or twice per week. Once I shaved it all the way up to the jaw line, but that ended up making it look like I had a double chin. It took two weeks for the hairs on my neck to match the length of hairs on my face that had not been shaven in over 2 months. I've been shaving to just over the Adam's Apple since then.

I did not shave off the mustache or goatee first but continued trimming as usual it until the rest of beard caught up. That part of the beard is still thicker and seems to grow faster than the hair on my cheeks. Now I am using the trimmer's 7 mm guide on my moustache, the 5 mm on my lower lip, the 9 mm on my chin and neck, and the 12 mm on my cheeks.

The 12 mm guide only catches a few random hairs on my cheeks or jawline that grow longer and faster than everything around them. Most of my beard seems to to have reached a terminal length similar to my arm, leg, or chest hairs. It more heavy stubble than a full beard.

I was thinking about shaving it off entirely, but a friend of mine says she thinks it looks really good. (She added that I am fortunate that it is all an even color; her brother cannot grow a beard without looking ridiculous as the hai0sr on his cheeks grow in pale blond, on his chin grow in bright red, and on his neck grow in stark black.)

I also used the trimmer to give myself a haircut back in April and again last week, using its largest (16 mm) guide on the back and sides while just using my fingers and comb to try to keep the top at a length just over 1 inch.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  14. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

I'm mostly going without these days but I shave to stubble and I wait to do it again so I'm lightly bearded generally.

15. haroon

haroon Deity

Going without? You must feel really naked and exposed. Condolences man.

I cannot live without beard.

Your opinion is super matter Lemon, but the necessity to cover the chin and to survive from extinction outweighs it. Perhaps it can be fix with additional decoration hanging around, like some ribbons or couples of bells perhaps.

16. Hygro

I was once a bearded fellow.
    Spoiler :
    453A0601-40A0-42AD-8CCC-0A4922F5D730_1_105_c.jpeg

17. haroon

haroon Deity

You look so dang cool. Dang!

Kyriakos and Hygro like this.
  18. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老任森林

I just shaved and now I feel amazing

Hygro and Kyriakos like this.
  19. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

I feel like I'm expected to make some half-ironic protest against shaving, but honestly the more people shave, the more easily I can get away with having a beard instead of a personality, so keep at it.

tjs282, haroon, Kyriakos and 2 others like this.
  20. Hygro

It's real.