Beat this please

175K 620AD Conquest

ha...kinda fun to putz around on Nooble

My goal here was to try to balance early Conquest with high a score as possible.

1) Settled one city before up north for horses before then amassing war chariots and taking out AIs.
2) Took out Willie first and then Louie (I wanted his GW asap so not to worry about barbs). Used their cities to launch attacks on Gilgs and Qin. Gilgs proved a bit of a nuisance as I lost several units and had to regroup, but that just let me take more cities later.
3) Main Egypt cities built HAs by this time and took out Hanny.
4) Oracled CS for what it was worth
5) Built Colossus and SoZ in Amsterdam for the heck of it.
6) Finished with 30 cities
7) Overall, there's several things I could have done much better, if I paid closer attention to improve my date and score. I think a Conquest game around my finish date could easily exceed 200K

Ultimately, this game can be easily won with WCs alone in the BCs but you probably will get at best a 100K score depending on if you keep cities. However, you will have to whip a lot.

Likewise, in hindsight, I could have probably gone for domination at an early date than my finish. I did use my Eastern cities to build some settlers here and there and could have done more of that as well...easily. I took the approach of building more wealth though and finishing up a few techs to increase score at the end.

Furthermore, one could take a later Domination approach to this game and milk for I think around a 300K plus score. I considered that, but just wanted to finish this one up.

Attachments

• Scott BC-2000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    93.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Scott BC-0375.CivBeyondSwordSave
    143.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Scott AD-0620.CivBeyondSwordSave
    176.2 KB · Views: 26
lymond

how many chariots did you have and when did you goto war with other civs? Do you only need like ten vs there two or three defenders early that seems to be what happens.

Also what strategy for destroying captured citys do you use how many should be kept?

I don't recall exactly the number, but I attacked Willie with about 5 WCs at first and just kept them coming. As you progress, you will need more for various reason including the AI just becoming more entrenched (culture) and getting metals. I hit Willie right before he was going to hook up Copper. With Qin, I took out his copper or iron first thing. I first DOW'd around 1500BC, but could have much sooner. You don't necessarily need barracks, at least in both cities

If you open the save and look at the log you can see a lot dates.

In this case, I don't think a razed a single city and never had economy issues. As you progress and get more cities, and gain currency, you can transition cities that are far from the action to building wealth, plus you gain gold from taking cities. Captured cities take on the unit pump focus and often they are closer to the remaining AIs anyway. In a strict fast conquest I would raze a lot more cities, just keeping capitols or cities that can contribute immediately (food, production, actual improvements) and raze the crap. You often have to raze a lot of cities in super fast conquest just to stay afloat, especially on higher levels. You can get away with quite a lot on Nooble.

Distance was obviously a factor in this game as well, since most of the AIs war rather far away. In fact, Hanny was probably the closest AI but I met him last due to the jungle. Otherwise I might have attacked him first. Capture as many workers as you can and use some to build roads to the AI to speed troops.

Oh...as for score, probably the biggest factor is population. The least is wonders. Therefore, you want to avoid most wonders (you will capture some anyway), and transition cities from whipping to growth. Look for ways to gain happiness. I actually grabbed Drama at one point and used the culture slider to let cities max out on growth.

It's not about winning in the fastest date possible!! ;)

Obviously Seraiel is probably the best person to ask in regards to getting a high score, but once again, it's not about winning in the fastest date possibe;)

I'll post some saves a bit later but I just want to show how important it is to grow your cities BIG before winning. I could have won this game in the 500AD range w/out even whipping a single unit but I'm now in the process of heading up to Biology>Cereal Mills so I can really grow.

@ Blitz

I'm already an Immortal/Deity player but I like to mess around on lower levels eh!!?

Thx for the compliment ;) Trying out the same tactic like you atm. Normal gamespeed caused me some bad problems in early game, but now as it's 1 AD everything seems to be just as on Marathon just 1000y later, have a Science-Rate of 300 Beakers and 12 cities atm and plan to expand as hard as possible, don't know if this is decent. But I think I'm at least gonna beat Zero :mad: .

What I wonder about is that you all build HAs, are you aware that one can get 2 Chariots for 1 HA? They're better, but they don't match double numbers imo...

Thx for the compliment ;) Trying out the same tactic like you atm. Normal gamespeed caused me some bad problems in early game, but now as it's 1 AD everything seems to be just as on Marathon just 1000y later, have a Science-Rate of 300 Beakers and 12 cities atm and plan to expand as hard as possible, don't know if this is decent. But I think I'm at least gonna beat Zero :mad: .

What I wonder about is that you all build HAs, are you aware that one can get 2 Chariots for 1 HA? They're better, but they don't match double numbers imo...

WC are much stronger than HA by far. You can get 11 power for the same hammers as 6.6 :3. Why you trying to beat me. :( My score and time is god awful due to not realizing how huge the map is.

WC are much stronger than HA by far. You can get 11 power for the same hammers as 6.6 :3. Why you trying to beat me. :( My score and time is god awful due to not realizing how huge the map is.

Because you always call me Maran00b. If I win this one, you have to call me Standart/Normal-Ueberpro! If you don't like that, master would also be ok.

Because you always call me Maran00b. If I win this one, you have to call me Standart/Normal-Ueberpro! If you don't like that, master would also be ok.

If you can get a 600 AD win on Standard Normal IMM then I will think highly of you, but you're only a Maranoob because you take 200 hours for one game. >.< I used to play Maranoob to beat HoF scores too! But I would finish in 10-15 hours. >.>

Marathon games take you guys that long? I can usually finish up a large marathon map in like 8-9 hours. Maybe rushing is the reason I'm still mastering monarch!

If you can get a 600 AD win on Standard Normal IMM then I will think highly of you, but you're only a Maranoob because you take 200 hours for one game. >.< I used to play Maranoob to beat HoF scores too! But I would finish in 10-15 hours. >.>

Lol. You got owned by your own Vassals last time you tried. And beating Settler on Duel Maps 10-15h? Man, you're really taking this game serious!

I love this start. Settled on the PH and peacefully advanced to 9 cities by 500BC. Oracled CS and built the GLib (not for score). At 25AD completed Education. Around this time Hanni is playing rude and do not want to share HBR. So my cats, WC and a few axes hit him in 2 cities. Captured 1 on 3rd turn of war and the second on the next turn. He has 1 city now and I am going to let him keep it for HBR and in the mean time attack China.

Second team of Cats, WC and Maces are gathering to head west to France. The idea is to head to Bio and Communism and end the game there. Someone else can do Sid or Cereal. No Corps for me. Too much work.

@seraiel

I could be wrong here but on Normal speed I'm thinking bulbing will be more attractive than super GAs. I like the idea of bulbing Edu x1, PP x1, Chem x1, Astr x2, Biology x2, and Lib x1. That should let you get Medicine as free tech pretty early??

I love this start. Settled on the PH and peacefully advanced to 9 cities by 500BC. Oracled CS and built the GLib (not for score). At 25AD completed Education. Around this time Hanni is playing rude and do not want to share HBR. So my cats, WC and a few axes hit him in 2 cities. Captured 1 on 3rd turn of war and the second on the next turn. He has 1 city now and I am going to let him keep it for HBR and in the mean time attack China.

Second team of Cats, WC and Maces are gathering to head west to France. The idea is to head to Bio and Communism and end the game there. Someone else can do Sid or Cereal. No Corps for me. Too much work.

If I read this, my economy must really suck, wanted to try out something totally different to my last game and went for a cottage-capital all other cities all farms approach with Mids (yes, non-IND non Stone) . Also oracled CS at about 1500 BC, but after that, got stuck on having to research like everything there is myself because this game has absolutely no trech-trade partners because AI is so slow. Anyhow, I'm not going to complete Education before 300 AD I think. Also already thought about a no corps approach because it is just so much research, but still wanna try.

What I ask myself: At what time did you oracle CS and how many defenders had Hani in his cities? I attacked Quin first because I simply scouted him first by chance, and his PRO Archers gave my WCs hell, needed about 8-10 per city because he had 4-5 Archers in them, tripple promoted! In the same time I annihilated Louis, he gave me a rough time with his Spears but 2 or 3 to 1 still managed. This was all till 1 AD. I wonder if I founded to few cities early on (only about 5 or so before going to war) and payed to little attention to economy.

@seraiel

I could be wrong here but on Normal speed I'm thinking bulbing will be more attractive than super GAs. I like the idea of bulbing Edu x1, PP x1, Chem x1, Astr x2, Biology x2, and Lib x1. That should let you get Medicine as free tech pretty early??

I'll try bulbing over GAs, thanks for the tipp. Just wanted to start my Super-GA-Chain. I have to start at least 1 GA though, because I built MoM and got the GA from Music, but maybe use that GA just to create more persons for bulbing.

But why do you want to tech Medicine? There is little to no seafood on that map, I think Cereal mills will do much better. I also think I'll choose Bio as a Liberalism tech because I've gone all farms (except Capital) and want that growth as early as possible.

Btw, ultra-fail from me. Advisor said my Religion (Confucianism) was the largest on the whole Continent, so I created a great Priest, to find out, that settling him would almost give the same benefit as the Shrine :lol: .

Lol. You got owned by your own Vassals last time you tried. And beating Settler on Duel Maps 10-15h? Man, you're really taking this game serious!

Man Settler is hard! Don't make fun of me! My biggest problem with HoF is that my game is broken, and is missing graphics so the HoF is like wtf you can no submit! But I didn't do Mara/Huge I did Mara/Stand so it didn't take as long.

@blitzkrieg1980 When you micro you game will take longer. Most of the time spent in my games is checking the trade screens, and other screens about what the AI have.

Seraiel, I had my second and 5th cities go cottage route. The second city was to NW with wet wheat(?) and several FP. Third city was the Oracel city with Marble and copper. it developed one of the cottages for the capital while I ran 2 scientists in the capital. 4th city was to east with dry corn, cow and iron(later) in the BFC. 5th City was toward Hanny with corn, dye, many jungles and gem.
CS was very much a beeline. I will see when I got it once I get home. I had a fairly early GS for Academy. Another bulbed all but 6 turns of Alpha. I was about to launch my first GA with Music GA but will likely hold back for MoM. 4 turns with scienctists and deficit research with city capture gold.

I intend to bulb my way to Bio as much as possible. So next it is Casts sys for me.

EDIT: CS on 1120 BC

Got ya. So when I finally advance to immortal, I should expect longer games. I could probably move up to emperor now, but I'm finally getting to enjoy stomping on monarch AI lol.

@seraiel

It all depend on how mnay turns will be saved by the bulb and how many GS can you pump during a GA. I love space games and know that I can tech most techs in about 4-8 turns after Assembly line and the rate is great by industialism. So if I can save more than 10-15 turns early by bulbing along a critical path. I go for it. Your bulb path is right on the money but need a GA or 2 to get to that many GS's fast and about 3-5 high pop cities to do so.

i tried the chariot rush next game by turn 130 i beat 4 civs but then i hit a strong one and had to stop but i didnt build enough and had to then build and still havent won by turn 200 there are 3 civs left on islands and i still dont have galleons what do i do to still win quick when this happens.

@ Seraiel

There are 15 seafood resources and 14 rice which is what? Around -45gpt and +15F when Sushi is available. The alternative would be there are 29 total CM resources available which is around -44gpt and +22F but it does come quite a bit later. I'm horrible at math so don't know which is better ;).

@ Htadus

I can usually squeeze out 3 during 1 eight turn GA with nothing more than TGL/NE so with MoM and 2 cities running 6+ GS, and TGL/NE city running 8 it seems reasonable to get around 6-7 during a 12t GA. So you'd only need to slow grow 1-1.5 more on your way to "whatever". That should work out pretty well??

omg missed L by 4k or so...

finished with 1300 AD 172k conquest (SS with exact score included) - interesting it was conquest and not domination, but I guess giving back cities pay some role in it.

from the 1 AD save I settled 2 more cities, let cities grow, then whip forge, courthouse everywhere, then let the city grow back, spam workshops

rax, stables, cuirs built without whip

then basically chain vassaling with giving back cities to AI's

interesting the number of units needed to kill :)

Spoiler :

Top Bottom