Beaten to religion in Emperor

The point being made here is that fresh water is too common to tie baths to it. Should be buildable in every kind of city.

Now if you tie dams to rivers, you got my support.

That is all, no chasing rabbits no nothing, just being realistic.

Correct me please if I am wrong but vanilla does not have baths.

Baths come from Civ 6, the roman special building which replaces the aqueduct. The aqueduct itself of course needs rivers.

In other words, the requirement to have access to fresh water comes from the aqueducts of Civs 6 and more specifically from the aqueduct replacement for Rome, the bath.

This explains the weird contradiction in VP where baths require freshwater but aqueducts don't. Because in Civ5 vanilla aqueducts dont need fresh water, but aqueducts in Civ 6 do need it.

Last edited:

Baths come from Civ 6, the roman special building which replaces the aqueduct. The aqueduct itself of course needs rivers.
Vanilla doesn't have baths, yes. The idea for Baths in VP is not from Civ 6, it's original as far as I know.

Vanilla doesn't have baths, yes. The idea for Baths in VP is not from Civ 6, it's original as far as I know.
It comes from 6. You can ask G why is he saying it can't be changed due to the dll, provided baths are not in vanilla dll. They are in 6 dll under rome, but you can't use 6 dll here, nor it is released yet for that matter. I don't want to ask him, I asked him once abouit it already and what was the deal with the aqueducts and he replied with the dll.

Leondegrance, you have a rather passive-aggressive way of casting doubt on G's assertions.
If he says it can't be done in code, then it can't be done.
Modders can change a lot of things about the game, but not everything. Random example: you can't add another policy tree.
He's pretty upfront when he shuts down an idea for other reasons (he doesn't like it / it would take too much code / it would be hard for the AI to get it / ...)
Please assume by default that all forum contributors act in good faith!

Oh, and VP predates Civ VI by quite a bit.

Now, I like the idea of switching the Tradition culture boost to Amphitheaters, but I seem to remember it was floated before and G shut it down... because he didn't like it. :(
;)

Leondegrance, you have a rather passive-aggressive way of casting doubt on G's assertions.
If he says it can't be done in code, then it can't be done.
Modders can change a lot of things about the game, but not everything. Random example: you can't add another policy tree.
He's pretty upfront when he shuts down an idea for other reasons (he doesn't like it / it would take too much code / it would be hard for the AI to get it / ...)
Please assume by default that all forum contributors act in good faith!

Oh, and VP predates Civ VI by quite a bit.

Now, I like the idea of switching the Tradition culture boost to Amphitheaters, but I seem to remember it was floated before and G shut it down... because he didn't like it. :(
;)
Excuse me, who said I am not acting in good faith ?

Please refrain from personal qualifications and mentoring because you are already violating the good faith code by doing so.

The amphitheaters, or the opera houses like another user proposed, are also not bad ideas.

Go to

C:\Users\XXXX\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(2) Community Balance Overhaul\Balance Changes\Buildings

Open with Notepad the file "NewBuildings"

Find <FreshWater>true</FreshWater>

Change true to false and enjoy baths in any city.

Note that the description of baths in-game will still say that requires freshwater but you can build it anyhow due to the flag being changed to false.

I'm pretty sure civ vi took a good chunk of its ideas from the mods, ours included.

Yeah, it's easy to make baths available for building anywhere. What cannot be done is changing which tile is considered to have fresh water. But I still prefer to have one building dependent on a map feature. I like the strategy involved.

A completely different question is whether Tradition policies should buff a building that is map dependent. This makes looking for fresh water a must for players going tall. On the other hand, tradition cities expand their territory quite fast, so it is not that troublesome to settle one tile away from the perfect place.

Other feature dependent buildings are the herbalist (buffed by tradition too), stone works, stables, and the dichotomy well / water mill.

Anyways, we're almost complete, so if a mechanic is to be changed, a strong argument with solid reasons must be provided explaining why the current mechanic is not working well, why that cannot be fixed by small tweaks and how the new mechanic is going to solve the issues. And be patient with the counter arguments.

I am going to change the power plant to require river because all power plants do require a river to cool the reactors down. And because I also wish to leave myself the strategic option of where I place cities. Without a doubt city placement is a strategic feature and I am just making it a little bit more realistic.

I will also change the aqueduct to require fresh water source. I associate rivers with productivity. They support nuclear plants, they irrigate farms.

I will leave water mills as they are since it is correct.

Look vyyt, I said it is no biggie if baths remain the same, so be it, 1 gold 1 culture. But then some people corrected me that baths are much more than this and that it is not a small biggie. Others expressed concerns that fresh water is not that common and it can leave you in great disadvantage just due to rng. That persuaded me.

I am not insulting. If you feel insulted during a discussion, that I can't help you with. I am not shy to leave compliments to someone and I do occasionally, for example by applauding the way the AI battles. But I am not shy to express concerns either.

So don't take it too personal please. It is unproductive.

In other words, the requirement to have access to fresh water comes from the aqueducts of Civs 6 and more specifically from the aqueduct replacement for Rome, the bath.

This explains the weird contradiction in VP where baths require freshwater but aqueducts don't. Because in Civ5 vanilla aqueducts dont need fresh water, but aqueducts in Civ 6 do need it.

Wow. Everything you just said is wrong. Others have corrected you on the details, so I’ll leave it at that. Seriously though, I had a nice laugh, thanks.

Also, you are constantly shifting your intent. My original point on fresh water was reference to your request that Wells PROVIDE fresh water. It had nothing to do with baths being able to be built WITHOUT fresh water.

G

I am going to change the power plant to require river because all power plants do require a river to cool the reactors down. And because I also wish to leave myself the strategic option of where I place cities. Without a doubt city placement is a strategic feature and I am just making it a little bit more realistic.

I will also change the aqueduct to require fresh water source. I associate rivers with productivity. They support nuclear plants, they irrigate farms.

I will leave water mills as they are since it is correct.

Look vyyt, I said it is no biggie if baths remain the same, so be it, 1 gold 1 culture. But then some people corrected me that baths are much more than this and that it is not a small biggie. Others expressed concerns that fresh water is not that common and it can leave you in great disadvantage just due to rng. That persuaded me.

I am not insulting. If you feel insulted during a discussion, that I can't help you with. I am not shy to leave compliments to someone and I do occasionally, for example by applauding the way the AI battles. But I am not shy to express concerns either.

So don't take it too personal please. It is unproductive.

Abdicating responsibility for the words you use in a public setting is unacceptable. Be mature and responsible.

G

Wow. Everything you just said is wrong. Others have corrected you on the details, so I’ll leave it at that. Seriously though, I had a nice laugh, thanks.

Also, you are constantly shifting your intent. My original point on fresh water was reference to your request that Wells PROVIDE fresh water. It had nothing to do with baths being able to be built WITHOUT fresh water.

G
Glad you had a nice laugh. I still can make people laugh. I had my share of laugh with the dll too.

Now seriously, let's bury the hatchet and fix the misunderstanding once and for all and move on. I said that the fact a well is being built means that there is an "imaginary" source of fresh water at that place. Thus a bath is legit building at that place. And that's that. Been fixed already anyway, at least in my games.

Glad you had a nice laugh. I still can make people laugh. I had my share of laugh with the dll too.

Now seriously, let's bury the hatchet and fix the misunderstanding once and for all and move on. I said that the fact a well is being built means that there is an "imaginary" source of fresh water at that place. Thus a bath is legit building at that place. And that's that. Been fixed already anyway, at least in my games.

You do realize that changing true to false in an XML is not editing the dll, right? Do you actually know what a dll is? You have to compile a dll in an editor. It’s honestly very hard to talk to you about stuff like this because you weaponize your ignorance.

You’re free to change the VP however you want. But your ‘fix’ is not balanced for real gameplay.

G

Top Bottom