Beating Boudica of the Romans

L4zXX0r

Warlord
After reading and posting on the "Is Boudica of the Romans an exploit" thread, I thought it would be more fun to discuss how to BEAT Boudica of the Romans. Rather than argue the fairness of that situation, discussing relevant tactics to beat her could reduce the aura of cheapness surrounding her.

Some ideas to consider if responding...

This is an unrestricted leaders game, so what would be the most effective leader/civ combo in beating her.

How about military strategies?

Multiplayer ideas?

For me, if I knew she was out there, and was close by, I would try and out rush her for resources and hopefully take out her cities before she ever grabs iron. If I couldn't do that for some reason, I'd hopefully have piles of axemen in my cities, and I would make sure I had a barracks and walls, so they could get the right bonuses.

As far as leader/civ combos, I'm thinking a Churchill/Native America.

How about you folks out there in civfanatic land?

Elizabeth for the techrate, I'm guessing?

Native americans would work, the dog soldiers don't require any resources and are good vs meelee.

As long as you can pilliage the Iron or prevent it being hooked up, Boobica of Rome is screwed. Lizzy has the teching ability to be able to hook up horses as well as tech to IW in roughly the same time as Boobica.

If she's real close, Cyrus of Inca would be good for a quechua rush. Quechuas already have combat 1 so agressive civs wouldn't be good. Cyrus is charismatic and imperialistic, so you'd be able to get an early GG, and get some promotions for your quechuas quickly when combined with charismatic.

If it's impossible to stop her getting the preatorians, Daruis or Lizzy of China would be a good choice. Crossbowmen are the easiest really effective preatorian counter to get to, so some early Chu-ko-nu would have Boudica pissing in her pants.

Easy: Just everyone should dogpìle on her.

Everyone is saying rush her, but what if u could pull off a feudalism slingshot? You would be safe in defence and then could quickly tech to crossbows/maces while her economy crashes.

lbows aren't really good against promoted praetorians and feudalism slingshot is quite hard on higher diff levels

Churchill of the Native Americans could produce some amazingly nasty longbowmen for the Praetorians to fight. The Dog Soldiers would also be a decent counter in the field. Tokugawa might be better if you plan on taking the fight to Boudica before you develop a good tech lead (think shock Dog Soldiers straight from the Barracks)

Carthage has Numidian Cav that would work well. The 7.5 against the Praet's 8 is decent, plus you'd be taking out any siege that Boudica brought along.

China would be good, and if you can grab the tech lead the Ottomans can put some Jannisaries in the field to stop the Praets or keep them at home for good effect too.

Shaka of the Indians would be amusing though

Protective Leader of the Native Americans should work.

China would also be nice, if you can get to crossbows fast.

Well, the moment I clicked this thread, I was going to post the tongue-in-cheek comment "Turn off unrestricted leaders! Problem solved!"

But since OP says to assume it is an unrestricted leader game, I would go with the fast tech rate approach, prioritizing Machinery for the crossbow to counter the Praetorian. Wang Kon of Korea actually wouldn't be all that bad: you have the Seowon and Financial, a UU that is good against melee units, and Protective for the improved crossbows. If you prefer Philosophical, take Sitting Bull of Korea. Same thing, but with more great people.

Well, the moment I clicked this thread, I was going to post the tongue-in-cheek comment "Turn off unrestricted leaders! Problem solved!"

But since OP says to assume it is an unrestricted leader game, I would go with the fast tech rate approach, prioritizing Machinery for the crossbow to counter the Praetorian. Wang Kon of Korea actually wouldn't be all that bad: you have the Seowon and Financial, a UU that is good against melee units, and Protective for the improved crossbows. If you prefer Philosophical, take Sitting Bull of Korea. Same thing, but with more great people.

You know, I like the Seowon. Yet I don't tend to use it that much. To be honest, Boudica of the Romans doesn't really seem that scary to me. I think anyone who knows how to play Civ, should be able to deal with her pretty easily. Granted in multiplayer she can be very dangerous, but, I think in multiplayer, she would be the first to be attacked, because of her combo. Truth be told, I'm not scared.

In MP, facing her would be relatively simple. If you're close to her, you'd simply rush her and prevent the Iron hookup. If you're far away, then you don't have to worry - by the time she can get to you, you'll be able to get a counter-unit up easily. The only way she'd be a danger is if she was near someone who didn't properly counter her, allowing her some decent early expansion, and triggering the snowball effect. Otherwise, she's no more dangerous than any other combo (and less than some).

Bh

In MP, facing her would be relatively simple. If you're close to her, you'd simply rush her and prevent the Iron hookup. If you're far away, then you don't have to worry - by the time she can get to you, you'll be able to get a counter-unit up easily. The only way she'd be a danger is if she was near someone who didn't properly counter her, allowing her some decent early expansion, and triggering the snowball effect. Otherwise, she's no more dangerous than any other combo (and less than some).

Bh

Yeah, I'm probably more afraid of someone who is pleased with me stabbing me in the back, then just the "possibilities" of an early veteran praetorian army.

I agree.

If she's close, any leader, unrestricted or not, with an early UU and the right resource will be able to take her out. The two Persian leaders (with immortals), Egyptian leaders (with war chariots), the little Mayan boy (Holkan), Sitting Duck (Dog fighters) etc can all do the job. Shaka can simply choke her with impi. Mansa and Hammurabi can also choke her with their enhanced archer units.

Boudica of the Romans have nothing to help her financial aspect. Unless she runs into a naive neighbour building tons of cottages for her to pillage, she'll probably go bankrupt after one major expansion. In short, she is way too one-dimensional. I'll take the unmodified Darius any day.

Top Bottom