Beating Russia (peter)

Dancingkoalaa

Chieftain
So i am a beginner in Civ 6 (got over 100 hours in civ 5) and i am trying to play my first ever religion victory as arabia (playing 6 people in teams, we have Me and Kongo, France and scythia and Peter and Brazil)

Currently i controll 9/10 french cities and russia keeps taking over the final one, this also happens to a city state.
He has Kongo, Brazil and himself under controll. I am trying to gain controll of scythia but she has her own religion (seems to have given up on spreading it). Is there any way i can finally take down russia.. He is way closer to both states and everytime i finally have someone on there he takes it back in a matter of turns..

I like to save the last spread charge on apostles and move them around in packs paired with a guru. Use them to keep Peter from spreading.

Being new to the game, you might not know that apostles can 'fight' other religious units? A religious victory is best achieved by sending multiple apostles as a 'religious army' accompanied perhaps with a few guru's. The apostles use their charges to spread religion to cities, but never the last charge (that ends their existence). They can be used to battle other religious units and if they kill them a burst of you religion gets sent to all cities within a range of (what was it... 6 or 9 tiles I think)? The gurus are used to heal the apostles, or you can send the apostles back home to heal near one of your holy sites.

He is way closer to both states and everytime
So do not both, it should not be an issue.
For an RV you need to control the majority of their cities with your religion. Nothing about city states, it is close to them so plan on converting their cities and the city state will be immaterial.
In civ6 religious pressure is not an issue, a city will push out 2 or 4 point per turn, it takes 50 turns for than to equal a charge of a missionary (even then it is a little less)
But yes, charge in with groups of apostles and kill their religious units is the best way to convert cities unless at war with them.

Religious Victory can only be won by someone who founds a Religion.
So anyone who didn't found a religion basically isn't going to spread religion, ignore those Civs until later (unless you have a per city benefit, and even then it's not that important).

To "properly" defeat someone who did found a Religion and prevent him from spreading his founded religion and causing problem you need to do the following 2 things
  • Convert ALL their cities to your Religion (cities of your religion can't produce enemy religious units)
  • Kill all their Religious Units. (so they cannot spread religion)
Here's the trick: Killing Enemy religious units spread religion to everything nearby, far more effectively and faster than converting cities using religious charges

Build attack groups of 3 Apostles + 1 Guru. Send them out as a unit and keep them close together. Apostles MUST NOT use their last religious charge on cities.
Swarm enemy religious units with the whole group of Apostles and kill them by attacking. Once the Apostles take 1/3 damage group them around the Guru and have it use one of it's charges to heal all adjacent units. When 1 charge left on the Guru build another one and send it to take over.

Missionaries should accompany the attack groups but they are there to help overpower cities by expending charges when there aren't any enemy religious units to kill or (even better) acting as bait to pull out enemy religious units so your attack group can swarm them and kill them.

Once you have eliminated the religion of opponents who established religions go and convert other civilizations using armies of missionaries. You only need 50% of each civ's cities to have it counted as converted. Once you do that, get an extra city and then ignore them, move onto the next civ.

Top Bottom